October 24, 2014, 07:08:35 PM

Author Topic: A EF to EF-M TSE Adapter  (Read 1838 times)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
A EF to EF-M TSE Adapter
« on: November 07, 2012, 01:27:56 AM »
I was thinking there is enough room there to make an adapter from EF to EF-M mount that incorporates tilt shift functionality especially if it had AF pass through, might be another cool piece of kit edmika could build :)
being able to use say a tokina 11-16 f2.8 with tilt shift functionality would be pretty cool on an EOS-M
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

A EF to EF-M TSE Adapter
« on: November 07, 2012, 01:27:56 AM »

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: A EF to EF-M TSE Adapter
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 09:39:47 AM »
Have you tried a TS lens on your M via the adapter?  If so, how much shift and tilt was possible?
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

bigbo

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 01:57:52 AM »
I have the same perspective as you, let`s looking forward together.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 03:36:30 AM »
Have you tried a TS lens on your M via the adapter?  If so, how much shift and tilt was possible?

no not yet, I dont own one i need to borrow one and have a play
APS-H Fanboy

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 04:09:11 AM »
a) yes that would be cool. There's already a lot of other T/S adapters for various lenses to Mirrorless systems (i've also got a few for MF lenses to my EF bodies)
b) But 'af passthrough' wouldn't work. AF works by looking at the relative phase-differences of the lightwaves coming through the lens. as far as I know, if the lightwaves aren't coming in at the right angle, AF would struggle (if you've ever used a tilt or shift lens, or lensbaby, you'll know it messes up the light-metering, same deal). But using contrast-detect in live-view works (for light metering at least). so maybe it might work for AF too (the contrast-detect af, not the phase-on-sensor). Still, I don't know what would be the point of a t/s lens with af...
At least being able to pass the aperture-closing signals through would be good, then any EF lens would be a t/s lens (no point on ef-s lenses). I was thinking that might be difficult to keep constant-rotation in the adapter, the wire links can't go around forever. But then I realised that normal TSE lenses so that anyway, so there's probably a way around it...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

mb66energy

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 04:12:39 AM »
I was thinking there is enough room there to make an adapter from EF to EF-M mount that incorporates tilt shift functionality especially if it had AF pass through, might be another cool piece of kit edmika could build :)
being able to use say a tokina 11-16 f2.8 with tilt shift functionality would be pretty cool on an EOS-M

That's a really cool idea - the only drawback is that the image circle of FF lenses allows just a moderate shift displacement while staying in a good quality area of the lens. BUT: stopped down the 11-16 from tokina is useable for FF and a stopped down 2.8 24mm might be fine for larger shifts ...

But tilt? Great for macro, landscape, etc. ... and then the lens doesn't need a much larger image circle than APS-C for an APS-C sensor.

Or think about a deluxe lens baby like adaptor with three screws and a bellow and a fixed "normal" position ... infinite creativity which should be done for - let's say - 100$/EUR ...

@dr croubie: If you give the wires more room (helix) and if you use high quality material (5$ instead of 10ct) wires are o.k. ... or use a bluetooth connection between body mount and lens mount ;)
TOOLS: EF-S 10-22 | 60 || EF 2.8/24 | 2.8/40* | 2.8 100 Macro* |2.0/100 | 4.0/70-200* | 5.6/400* || 2 x 40D | 600D | EOS M  [* most used lenses]

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 04:13:31 AM »
a) yes that would be cool. There's already a lot of other T/S adapters for various lenses to Mirrorless systems (i've also got a few for MF lenses to my EF bodies)
b) But 'af passthrough' wouldn't work. AF works by looking at the relative phase-differences of the lightwaves coming through the lens. as far as I know, if the lightwaves aren't coming in at the right angle, AF would struggle (if you've ever used a tilt or shift lens, or lensbaby, you'll know it messes up the light-metering, same deal). But using contrast-detect in live-view works (for light metering at least). so maybe it might work for AF too (the contrast-detect af, not the phase-on-sensor). Still, I don't know what would be the point of a t/s lens with af...
At least being able to pass the aperture-closing signals through would be good, then any EF lens would be a t/s lens (no point on ef-s lenses). I was thinking that might be difficult to keep constant-rotation in the adapter, the wire links can't go around forever. But then I realised that normal TSE lenses so that anyway, so there's probably a way around it...

cool thanks for the info on b) i guess at least AF confirm and exif data transfer would be nice then, I would think the EF image circle onto the AP-C sensor and having the extra flange distance it would be a cool adapter to be able to turn any EF lens into a TS lens
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 04:13:31 AM »