November 24, 2014, 01:05:15 PM

Author Topic: 5D3 Color Balance vs 5D2  (Read 2226 times)

hbengtsson

5D3 Color Balance vs 5D2
« on: November 07, 2012, 06:41:50 AM »
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but I recently upgraded from Mark2 -> Mark3 and one thing that I noticed instantly was the improved colors/character in the RAW files compared to the Mark2. Not only do they look (according to my tase) more pleasing and vidid but the entire files seem more balanced and neutral yet punchy out of cam. It's almost like I don't need to color correct (which I ALWAYS need to do with the Mark2 files, even with accurate WB, there's a warm/reddish bias)

And when processing the Mark3 files further it only gets better. I'm not sure if this is thanks to a much better AWB or the new color filter, improved profiles or whatever. The last time I got this "feeling" straight out of cam was when shooting with the old classic 5D original - and that's a good sign! Of course, we are talking about subtle observations here but still to me very very noticeable - and I thought it would be fun to share and perhaps hear your opinions as well.

Cheers,

canon rumors FORUM

5D3 Color Balance vs 5D2
« on: November 07, 2012, 06:41:50 AM »

Canon-F1

Re: 5D3 Color Balance vs 5D2
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 07:04:58 AM »
as always it would be helpfull to see examples of what your talking about.

photography is a visual medium.. why rely only on text?  ;)

hbengtsson

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 07:13:13 AM »
as always it would be helpfull to see examples of what your talking about.

photography is a visual medium.. why rely only on text?  ;)

Well....not "as always..." I'm not talking about sharpness, focus issues or strange exposure/WB findings.

Colors, tonality, camera character and response in post processing might be subtle and also sometimes very personal depending on taste. Indeed it can be discussed. Everything can't be "proven" or shown in examples you know... :-)

That's why I was wondering if anyone else might share this "feeling" if you will...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 07:15:46 AM by hbengtsson »

MK5GTI

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 10:04:31 AM »
i have always heard from 5dc/2 owners saying files from 5dc come out better, or they like it better.

i guess that is exactly what the OP is referring to, some looks you just can't describe.

so OP, so the 5D3 is similar to the 5Dc? if so, i am interested!

hbengtsson

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 04:06:07 AM »
i have always heard from 5dc/2 owners saying files from 5dc come out better, or they like it better.

i guess that is exactly what the OP is referring to, some looks you just can't describe.

so OP, so the 5D3 is similar to the 5Dc? if so, i am interested!

Well, in a way I would say yes. Colors are cleaner and the overall balance has been improved. The 5DC of course has its own character however the Mark3 is "closer" to that compared to the Mark 2. At least according to my eyes. I'm sure this can be shot down with technical figures and color charts. But like I said...sometimes there's just a look and feel in the files which can't be measured.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 03:29:50 PM »
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but I recently upgraded from Mark2 -> Mark3 and one thing that I noticed instantly was the improved colors/character in the RAW files compared to the Mark2. Not only do they look (according to my tase) more pleasing and vidid but the entire files seem more balanced and neutral yet punchy out of cam. It's almost like I don't need to color correct (which I ALWAYS need to do with the Mark2 files, even with accurate WB, there's a warm/reddish bias)

And when processing the Mark3 files further it only gets better. I'm not sure if this is thanks to a much better AWB or the new color filter, improved profiles or whatever. The last time I got this "feeling" straight out of cam was when shooting with the old classic 5D original - and that's a good sign! Of course, we are talking about subtle observations here but still to me very very noticeable - and I thought it would be fun to share and perhaps hear your opinions as well.

Cheers,

I admit the 5D3 files are fantastic. I went from 5Dc ------> 5D3 and it has a similar color tone. I still like the 5Dc a-little better but the 5D3 is close enough.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 03:29:50 PM »