Gear Talk > Reviews

Review - Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II

<< < (2/13) > >>

Dylan777:

I found this review VERY TRUE and straight forward.

How do I know? I own one.

thedman:

--- Quote from: JVLphoto on November 07, 2012, 10:46:19 AM ---While IS is great and I'm reluctant to use it on lenses past 70 mm,

--- End quote ---

Really? I thought longer lenses were what IS was really made for. It's harder to handhold 300mm than it is 24 mm.

JVLphoto:

--- Quote from: thedman on November 07, 2012, 10:57:40 AM ---
--- Quote from: JVLphoto on November 07, 2012, 10:46:19 AM ---While IS is great and I'm reluctant to use it on lenses past 70 mm,

--- End quote ---

Really? I thought longer lenses were what IS was really made for. It's harder to handhold 300mm than it is 24 mm.

--- End quote ---

Oops, totally mis-wrote that - edited and revised.

JVLphoto:

--- Quote from: trulandphoto on November 07, 2012, 10:51:07 AM ---I've said this before. Although bulkier and heavier, I appreciate the hood setup on the old 24-70 for moving around without a lens cap on. When you bring the barrel back to 70mm there's a lot of protection there. And when the barrel is extended, it's all inside the hood.

Not so with the new lens, where the barrel has no protection at all when extended. If I knock up against something with the old lens, or drag it through the brush, nothing touches the lens itself.

Just my preference, I guess.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, owning the version 1 24-70 the extension never bothered me because I never noticed it with the lens hood attached.  It did bulk things up a big, and made for an intimidating lens attached.  I *was* able to cram more in my bag when on assignment with the new lens though - which is a plus.

wockawocka:
One character of the lens is the starburst effect it achieves when light goes direct into it. Very characteristic of this lens. Hands down better than the previous and worth every penny.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version