October 25, 2014, 01:05:58 PM

Author Topic: Review - Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II  (Read 30767 times)

LSV

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Review - Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2012, 03:24:41 AM »
Good review, but I was distracted by multiple instances of incorrect usage of "it's" for the possessive pronoun "its".  It's worth mentioning because it is a formal review.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2012, 03:24:41 AM »

julescar

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2012, 06:58:24 AM »
I have both the Tamron which I paid $1000 for  and the 24-70 ii I paid $2200 in Australia, I own heaps of Canon & Nikon Lenses many of them expensive primes and without any doubt after a week of shooting with it the 24-70 ii is the best lens I have ever used. The Nikon 24-70 is only $300 cheaper (best price non grey market) and the Canon is much better.

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2012, 07:29:22 AM »
Good review, but I was distracted by multiple instances of incorrect usage of "it's" for the possessive pronoun "its".  It's worth mentioning because it is a formal review.

Thanks man, I'm the worst at checking my own work, I have an editor for future reviews, hopefully CRG can make some edits to the live site (since I don't have access).

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2012, 01:44:08 PM »
Yes good review.  Now just waiting for the 14-24 2.8 to show up (then I can trade it for the 16-35).  ;)
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2012, 04:43:58 PM »
Yes good review.  Now just waiting for the 14-24 2.8 to show up (then I can trade it for the 16-35).  ;)
+1.....get ready to put another thousand on top of that 16-35 II ;D
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

al-toidz photography

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2013, 11:11:22 PM »
@ trulandphoto
I agree with you. I have the mark I and even if I have the money to buy the mark II, I wouldn't. The lens design of the mark I and including the 28-70 is much better than the mark II. Given that it is lighter and smaller it doesn't justify the new design as it is vulnerable in some situations. For example, from DigitalRev, Kai have mentioned and showed on youtube video that he dropped there company's 24-70 mark I and the only damage it has is the dent filter thread. Now imagine that happening to the new mark II lens. With its plastic filter thread, I cant imagine whats going to happen with that lens. Now I know that the chances of that happening is slim to none but if that happens, well, you better pray to the God of lenses. :P

On several occasions, one, when I was shooting a model on location, someone just pass by and bump in with my 24-70 mark I on it with the hood on. I was confident that nothing happened with the barrel because the hood protected the lens while I was shooting approximately at 35mm. On a separate occasion, I was walking around for a casual street photography, someone bump in again to my lens. And sure enough, I wasn't worried the lens was damage because the barrel was protected by the lens hood.

As I mentioned, even if I have the money to buy the mark II lens, I wouldn't, just simply because of the lens design. I just wish that the sharpness it has is also at the mark I version (based from users and reviews). However, when I was watching the review of SLRLounge on youtube comparing the mark I and mark II side-by-side, I can't see *any or *big difference against the mark I. Maybe because of the fact that I own the mark I and not the mark II that the ownership ego is getting the best of me to *blindly not admit the difference between the two versions. I would like to hear some comments regarding this issue after you watch the lens review from SLRLounge.

Normalnorm

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2013, 01:13:09 AM »
@ trulandphoto
I agree with you. I have the mark I and even if I have the money to buy the mark II, I wouldn't. The lens design of the mark I and including the 28-70 is much better than the mark II. Given that it is lighter and smaller it doesn't justify the new design as it is vulnerable in some situations.

According to Roger at LensRentals the mkI was very vulnerable to becoming banged out of calibration because of its construction that he deemed quite inferior to the new version. Not only was the new version better made but was much more likely to stay aligned and calibrated throughout its life.
After hearing years of wailing about the problems of unsharp ver1 models I am glad to be able to buy this one.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2013, 01:13:09 AM »

Normalnorm

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2013, 01:25:12 AM »
>>The Front Group of the 24-70 Version I
I put this part separately because I’m convinced the front element design of the original 24-70 f/2.8 accounted for a lot of its problems.<<
Roger Cicala-teardown review of the 24-70mkI

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/09/a-peak-inside-the-canon-24-70-f2-8-mk-ii

al-toidz photography

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2013, 02:26:52 PM »
@NormalNorm
That's good to know. However, canon and other lens/camera manufacturer, professional lens rental stores, professional and experienced individuals recommends to annually (preferably 2X a year) to send lens to their own respective manufacturers or other professional camera store that offers calibration to calibrate lenses in order to 1. calibrate the lens for optimal use and 2. to service the lens itself for longer life. But point taken, the mark I version has its own flaws and one of which is the front area being too heavy thus making it vulnerable for easy misalignment. It is undeniable that LensRental is also bias on there review because they don't want people to buy their own lens but instead rent it. *People* will not call it a workhorse for no reason if this problem occurs a lot. LensRental review is very subjective as it does not portray a real world accidents that happens in terms of the lens being bump-in while walking in real world. After all, why would they have such lens on their store if the mark I is really vulnerable on this area. Don't you think that is a little pain in their *ss to keep fixing it the mark I lens every time this happens. Furthermore, why would they still keep the mark I on their inventory if mark II is been out already. I mean, sure, people still wants to rent it to see what is the mark I all about, specially for people that are thinking of buying one in the used market. But why keep many? I called LensRental and ask them how many do they have in their inventory as I told them I might need several copy for my friends and they said they have a lot.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2013, 03:15:27 PM »
@NormalNorm
That's good to know. However, canon and other lens/camera manufacturer, professional lens rental stores, professional and experienced individuals recommends to annually (preferably 2X a year) to send lens to their own respective manufacturers or other professional camera store that offers calibration to calibrate lenses in order to 1. calibrate the lens for optimal use and 2. to service the lens itself for longer life. But point taken, the mark I version has its own flaws and one of which is the front area being too heavy thus making it vulnerable for easy misalignment. It is undeniable that LensRental is also bias on there review because they don't want people to buy their own lens but instead rent it. *People* will not call it a workhorse for no reason if this problem occurs a lot. LensRental review is very subjective as it does not portray a real world accidents that happens in terms of the lens being bump-in while walking in real world. After all, why would they have such lens on their store if the mark I is really vulnerable on this area. Don't you think that is a little pain in their *ss to keep fixing it the mark I lens every time this happens. Furthermore, why would they still keep the mark I on their inventory if mark II is been out already. I mean, sure, people still wants to rent it to see what is the mark I all about, specially for people that are thinking of buying one in the used market. But why keep many? I called LensRental and ask them how many do they have in their inventory as I told them I might need several copy for my friends and they said they have a lot.

People were complaining about it going soft after time before LR ever mentioned that.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2013, 03:29:06 PM »
I suggest you guys read this review: http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/773-canon2470f28mk2ff

These guys are VERY thorough with their review.
Based on this, I decided to go for the Tamron (http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/741-tamron2470f28eosff) as each of the lenses has their pros and cons, but the price vs the pros of the Canon 24-70 II wasn't enough for me justifying buying this lens against the Tamron one.

It seems that a lot of people just like to have the "fame" or "high end image" that seems to come with a red ring on the Canon lenses, but they aren't necessary the best, just because it's "Canon" and the price tag is crazy high.

Don't get me wrong I love Canon lenses and all the other lenses that I got, are Canon lenses. But I had high expectations and they didn't came. Many of the reviews had high expectations too... and I find Canon failed to impress with this one, mainly because of the price tag... but still no IS, or any other thing you would expect in this price range.

The near 24mm range is super important to me. The Tamron is good there but it's not a match for a 24 1.4 II or anything and yet the 24-70 II is. The 24-70 II tests out better almost everywhere on PZ other than edges and corners at 70mm, that is a little bit of a shame, but I mean it tests better everywhere else, including center frame 70mm including wide open so in a more portrait, low DOF mode it does better than the Tamron there and it does better as corner to corner landscape lens everywhere else so to me the Canon is the one. The only one to finally bring truly stunning performance to a standard FF zoom. Plus, it also has the super precision AF for use with 5D3/1DX. I don't believe the Tamron does.

The tamron is a solid value though, no doubt. And it does have VC.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2013, 03:34:46 PM »
      Compression/Distortion: this doesn't change between bodies, so it's still 70mm, not 112mm.

These are referring to perspective, and the only thing that determines perspective is distance to subject, i.e. focal length is irrelevant.  Since you're further from your subject for the same framing on APS-C, there will be more perspective compression, which is usually viewed as a 'good thing' for portraits.

Really?!? So if I shoot a portrait on a medium format body with a 150mm lens and do another from the same distance with a 60D and 50mm lens, then crop both photos to identical framing the perspective will be exactly the same?

think about it this way, without magic the lens could have no idea what is behind it, a large or small sensor, the lens projects what it projects and that is that, the exact same image is projected onto a wall behind it, different sensor sizes are just like drawing different size boxes on the wall, draw a large box for MM and then draw a small box inside that frame, erase the outer box and the smaller box inside is the APS-C frame and it is still the same box you were able to draw inside th MF box and nothing about the image projected into it suddenly changes as you erase the larger outer box that you draw on the wall (unless maybe you are a witch or warlock  ;D)

Klick

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2013, 11:37:38 AM »
Hi everybody,

I was a tiny bit 'scared' buying this lens with the price in mind. It is quite a commodity to have on your 5DmkII in a land like Indonesia.

After using it on my last trip to Bali i must say; this is THE lens. It is not only the best Canon lens but also the first lens you should get if your budget allows you to, at this point in life, get just one lens.

I used to own the 24-105 because it came with my camera but sold it years ago when the first rumors of the 24-70 II appeared. Haha... Yes, i waited a long, long time for this lens. I even bought the 50mm 1.2 to fill the gap between my 16-35 II and my 70-200 IS II 2.8.

If there is one thing i want to point out here is; don't even consider the 24-105 IS in favor of this lens ! It is such an inferior lens in comparison. The IS ? I have been able to be successful with the 24-70 II many times at shutter speeds as low as 1/40 th of a second. Tag sharp ! Not streetphotography-blurry-style. No, tag sharp images during daytime on the steets of Bali.

So, IS ? For me it is a non-existent barrier. And the optical quality of the 24-105 is a joke in comparison. Making video ? Buy a 50$ Joby flexible tripod and use it as a shoulder-stabilizer if you have to.

But... I am extremely happy with my new all-round lens. It is so much sharper and faster that it bumps your focusing success rate of your 5DmkII considerably. (Yes, i also considered to buy a 5DmkIII instead of this lens to be more successful in photographing moving objects but i am so glad i made this decision since the image quality of the mkII and mkIII are on par)

So overall, for those of you who are not sure for whatever reason; the price, the IS or family planning; it hurts a lot in your wallet but it's worth every penny in my opinion.

Thx for reading,
Cheers !

5DmkII, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 24-70 2.8 L II, 16-35 L II,
50mm 1.2 L, 100mm 2.8 IS L Macro, 600ex-RT, ST-E3-RT.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2013, 11:37:38 AM »

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2014, 09:04:01 AM »
Update: I've been using this lens now as part of my regular workflow since December. In this time I've found the lens hood has become quite loose. While it hasn't fallen off completely, I find that when it's at my side (like at events) the hood twists a bit which makes the petals mis-align with the format of the sensor, essentially resulting in them showing up in ~24mm wide shots. I might want to add a bit of gaffer tape to the hood just to keep it in place and avoid this problem later on.

So yeah... FYI.

philmoz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2014, 04:02:29 PM »
Update: I've been using this lens now as part of my regular workflow since December. In this time I've found the lens hood has become quite loose. While it hasn't fallen off completely, I find that when it's at my side (like at events) the hood twists a bit which makes the petals mis-align with the format of the sensor, essentially resulting in them showing up in ~24mm wide shots. I might want to add a bit of gaffer tape to the hood just to keep it in place and avoid this problem later on.

So yeah... FYI.

The hood should lock in place and only come off when you press the release button - if you can twist it off without pressing the release button then you probably need a new one.

If it's coming loose hanging down at your side, then it could be the release button getting bumped against your hip/leg - I had this happen a few times, then I just started putting the hood on with the button facing away from me when the lens is hanging down.

Phil.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2014, 04:02:29 PM »