November 23, 2014, 04:14:13 PM

Author Topic: Need advise on macro rails and macro extension tubes  (Read 4505 times)

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
Re: Need advise on macro rails and macro extension tubes
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 08:51:38 PM »
I'm sure even the cheap ones can support the load of even a gripped body and 180L. The issue is how smoothly they move under load, how much play and backlash which affect the ability to get the position exactly where you want it, index marks for focus stacking, and design issues (do you need to add the cost of a QR clamp, sufficient to rotate the body with a collared lens, etc.).
Good point. That is what I don't like about shopping on the Internet. One does not get a feel for things...

Really Right Stuff redesigned their macro rails a few years back - the newer design is really excellent.  If you find one used make sure it is the later edition.  I have used the RRS rails with the 100mm and also the collared 180mm macro.  Very stable and smooth, but not cheap.

I have used both Kenko and Canon extension tubes.  Both have worked fine. 
At over $350 a pop i will have to think it through. I was budgeting $120 or so...

I use both the 100L and 65 MP-E, and honestly, while macro focusing rail (and macro ring flash) is an absolute MUST with MP-E with its up-to-5X(!) magnification and no IS, 100L with its hybrid IS is much more forgiving for hand-holding.  Unless you plan on going the MP-E route, a Macro ring flash (doesn't have to be expensive Canon) may be a better, and more fun, investment IME. 

Even dedicated macro shooters sometimes find it a drag having to lug around a tripod and macro focusing rail on a "fun" macro shooting..
You have a point there... I don't intend on getting the MP-E at the moment... Shoot! More thinking. Thanks for your thoughts.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 08:51:38 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 06:00:19 PM »
I have the novoflex macro rails they are really top quality but crazy expensive
the kenko extension tubes are good becasue they retain AF confirm and exif data
are reasonably well made and a tight fit (not sloppy like the really cheap ebay ones)
and they are not a bad price
APS-H Fanboy

LukieLauXD

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
My dad bought me the double rail set from Really Right Stuff last year along with the Canon Dual Head flash and also the 65mm MP-E because I raise insects and he wanted to introduce photography into that too.

It was a big investment and it does take a lot of time to use, it doesn't work with really huge bodies and the lens or camera might need that RRS foot because that's how they roll, but it does work amazingly.

I mean, $650, just for the rails. Totally worth the cost, but it was a BIGGG costs  :o

rpt

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 08:09:04 PM »
Thanks Wombat and LukieLau.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 11:38:26 AM »
Hi,

I just got my 100L macro lens and realise I need macro extension tubes and macro rails. I shot some six legged creature that was about 1.5mm long! This is the first macro lens I have owned.

Macro extension tubes: I checked out the canon ones. They were ok. I can't get kenko in my city. On eBay I see Zeikos but the cost is 70% of the canon tubes anyway. Any suggestions?

Macro rails: I want those that can adjust the camera position in two directions. Obviously it should be good for the 5D3 + 100L macro + macro tubes. Do you have any suggestions or preferences? I see a Phottix on eBay.
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Phottix-4-Way-Macro-Focusing-Rail-LSD-/271064800548?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item3f1cb89d24#ht_2141wt_802
Not sure how it mounts on a tripod. Mine is 1982 vintage  :)

I have the Phottix. I use it with the 5d3 and 180L... works fine.

However you get what you pay for. There is some play if the base screws are not tight, otherwise the rails function fine and move tightly. You just have to ensure the 2 base screws are tight each time you use it. Since I am a hobbyist, this is fine for me, but if I did MACRO a lot, I would get something better.

The good thing is you can separate the X and Y Axis rails on this and use it separately (detached to each other), this is how I currently have it as for floral shots.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

rpt

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 11:52:03 AM »
All, thanks so much for all the info.

As for the macro rails, I think I will buy only after I physically see them. I don't want to spend $150 and then find that I should have saved and got the $350 ones. I guess I'll shoot macros hand held for now as suggested by drjlo. And there is my trusty tripod too (though it may be 30yrs old).

As for extension tubes, I think Kenko air is not significantly cheaper than Canon air (here in India) and since no shops (that i know of) stock Kenko, I will get me some Canon air...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 11:52:03 AM »