October 26, 2014, 02:07:34 AM

Author Topic: Help with lighting setups for portraits...  (Read 4284 times)

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Help with lighting setups for portraits...
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 05:33:54 PM »
I just bought myself the Elinchrom Quadra Ranger RX with A-head (short flash duration to freeze action) As a modifier  went with the Deep Octa 70cm, which has two diffusers and a deflector, can be used with lots of options.

It has a built in Skyport radio receiver and with the optional (must have) Transmitter, you can control power from the camera, which to me is ESSENTIAL, turn it off, set the exposure for background, flick it on and adjust power of the flash with two hardware buttons, up/down. Absolutely awesome.

I've done the strobist-way for years, and it is very fiddely, lacking in power and quality of light and I HATE umbrella-boxes that break for nothing. I still use Photiix Odin triggered speedlites for some things, and also as an additonal light to the Quadra, as I currently have only the one head.

You can save yourself some money by getting the Quadra right away, instead of triggers, two 580's (which you need outside) battery packs, clamps and other mounts, a few soft boxes (as they usually break).

The Quadras are 2 2/3 stops more powerful in a softbox than the 580 ex. I have shot with the Octa at 1m from me at F22 and had enough power, the backrgound, which was a white winter sun , mid day, looked like the late evening!

Add fantastic built, incredibly consistent colortemp and light-output, ready-beep, model-light and you have a seriously great set up where the lamp is actually smaller and lighter than a normal speedlite and at 400Ws!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 05:38:24 PM by Viggo »
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 05:33:54 PM »

JonB8305

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 08:14:48 PM »
I just bought myself the Elinchrom Quadra Ranger RX with A-head (short flash duration to freeze action) As a modifier  went with the Deep Octa 70cm, which has two diffusers and a deflector, can be used with lots of options.

It has a built in Skyport radio receiver and with the optional (must have) Transmitter, you can control power from the camera, which to me is ESSENTIAL, turn it off, set the exposure for background, flick it on and adjust power of the flash with two hardware buttons, up/down. Absolutely awesome.

I've done the strobist-way for years, and it is very fiddely, lacking in power and quality of light and I HATE umbrella-boxes that break for nothing. I still use Photiix Odin triggered speedlites for some things, and also as an additonal light to the Quadra, as I currently have only the one head.

You can save yourself some money by getting the Quadra right away, instead of triggers, two 580's (which you need outside) battery packs, clamps and other mounts, a few soft boxes (as they usually break).

The Quadras are 2 2/3 stops more powerful in a softbox than the 580 ex. I have shot with the Octa at 1m from me at F22 and had enough power, the backrgound, which was a white winter sun , mid day, looked like the late evening!

Add fantastic built, incredibly consistent colortemp and light-output, ready-beep, model-light and you have a seriously great set up where the lamp is actually smaller and lighter than a normal speedlite and at 400Ws!

+1 you get portability and power with this set up.

You could also do PCB Einsteins with vagabond mini lithium's at a decent price.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 08:14:48 PM »