Gear Talk > Lighting

Speedlite 550ex for DSLR's?

(1/3) > >>

Richard8971:
I know that the 550ex is one of (if not) the largest flashes that Canon has made. I see several of them on Craigslist for a great price (around $250.00) but are they "compatable" with the 7D, 5D2, etc... I know they will "work" but would I be better off with a 580exII or 600?

Just curious...

D

AdamJ:
The main practical difference is that the 550EX can't be controlled from the camera's flash control menu - you have to use the flash's controls. That isn't necessarily a big issue.

Have you considered a similarly-priced new third party unit?

PVS:
550ex works great on my 5dc but for some odd reason it won't allow me rear curtain sync on 5dmk2. AF beam assist works great on both cameras. It's a monster flash worth every penny.

Richard8971:
Thanks guys for the answers. I know that the 550ex will rapid fire. I have tried looking online to find the fire rate per second. Does anyone know how fast it will rapid fire?

Freestyle222:
I have 2 550's and love them! They work great on the 1Dmark II, 20D, 5d, 5d mark II but they don't work that great on the 5d III.....I've gotten them to go 3 to 5 frames rapid fire...I use powerex batteries.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version