Image & Video Galleries > Landscape

Solar Eclipse Next Week - Any Suggestions?

(1/3) > >>

Hillsilly:
We've got a total solar eclipse next Wednesday morning (14th November) in Northern Australia.  Does anyone have any good suggestions for photographing one?  Any special filters or preferred lenses that you'd suggest? 

JPAZ:
It is probably too late to order from them now, but I used a solar filter from these guys in 2010:

www.thousandoaksoptical.com/

I don't have my EXIF but think I shot on my 50d using a 70-200.  I set up a tripod and did a lot of exposure bracketing and shot away.  At the "peak" of eclipse, you can remove the filter for some interesting effects.  Just remember to replace the filter as the moon moves off the sun!

Here's one of my favorites.

Good luck

Hillsilly:
Thanks. When I googled solar eclipse photos, yours is the sort of photo that comes up.  Now I know that a solar filter is the key.

bkorcel:
Buy me a ticket to AU and I'll take one for you!  ;)

Get one of those glass solar filters normally put on a telescope.  I bought one that fits my 300 2.8L.  Works like a champ....though unless you have a telescope shop near you, you might not get it in time.  I would not shoot the sun directly unless it is really total.  Anything less might damage the camera.

--- Quote from: Hillsilly on November 08, 2012, 09:05:37 PM ---We've got a total solar eclipse next Wednesday morning (14th November) in Northern Australia.  Does anyone have any good suggestions for photographing one?  Any special filters or preferred lenses that you'd suggest?

--- End quote ---

PeterJ:
I've got one of the Thousand Oak filters and live in Australia as well. I ordered direct from them and service was all good, but not express and it took close to 2 weeks to arrive. Thanks for the reminder, I thought I'd put it in my Outlook calendar but apparently forgot, although only looks like about 50% eclipse from Tassie will be worth taking a look at.

I started a similar thread a while ago before I bought the filter that's worth a read because I got useful advice. Didn't realise at the time how partial that one was so looking forward to this one:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=1587

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version