August 01, 2014, 11:19:42 PM

Author Topic: EOS Utility/FoCal not recognizing 5D3 in Win8 64-bit  (Read 12720 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: EOS Utility/FoCal not recognizing 5D3 in Win8 64-bit
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 12:49:02 PM »
I can confirm I am having the same issue. 

I am using a HP Z800 workstation (Just in case it matters - Dual Xeon's - X5570, 12GB ECC RAM, Quadro 5000, Intel 320 series SSD, Intel USB2.0).  My Z800 was running Win 7 Pro 64-bit with no issues.  I deleted the partition on my C Drive on my Z800, then formatted it, then clean installed Win 8 Pro 64-Bit.

The 5D Mark III is detected fine in Windows, no errors and listed correctly. 

I have tried setting the program as 'run as an administrator'. I have also tried running in all the Compatibility modes.  I have 9 USB ports on the Z800, I have tried all of them.  I have also tried running off a powered USB Hub.  None of these things helped, the issue is still there.

I believe this is likely to be an issue with the Canon software and we will need to wait for an update or new version from Canon.

Happy to be proved wrong of course :)
You were unable to install the Canon Utility?  The PC detecting the camera is one thing, but FoCal uses drivers installed by the Canon Utility.
If the Canon utility is installed correctly, FoCal will work.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 12:49:02 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 12:54:59 PM »

By the way, I run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant on my Computer and I was surprise to see that it's mark "Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional " as not compatible. If "Microsoft Visual Studio 2010" is not compatible with Windows 8, I wonder how the software it's develop will be able to compatible with Windows 8??

Have a nice day.

Did you get the latest update for Visual Studio?  Sometimes it helps to update your software. 
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2736182

revup67

• 5D Mark III
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
    • Revup67's Flickr Images
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 04:29:24 PM »
I might recommend checking device manager.  See if there is a conflict there first.  If so, you should be able to see an error code.  When in device manager look under "other" or Storage" as an example.  See if there is an exclamation mark right click properties.  If so there should be an error code.  I would Google that error code.  On the Win 7 pc under driver, look at Driver details to gain some insight on the driver that is needed.  You can possibly copy that file to the win 8 pc and update.  Click on the details Tab as well. Choose Device description then Manufacturer this may also help.  You can also search out any Hardware ID's to get further insight.
Thanks
Rev
Canon EOS 5D MK3 + EOS 7D » Canon50mm 1.4 » Canon 100mm IS USM L Macro » Canon 24-105 L USM IS » Canon 70-300 IS USM L» Canon MP-E65 » Canon 8-15mm Fisheye »Canon 16-35 Mkii USM L » Canon 200mm 2.8 L USM II » Canon 400mm 5.6 L » Canon 580EXII & MT 24EX Flash

victorwol

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 09:15:14 PM »
Very weird issue here, but when I connect my 5Dmk3 to my desktop (windows 8 64-bit) it detects that a 5Dmk3 has been connected and I can copy pictures down and it tells me how much battery and card space is left.  However, when I launch EOS Utility (2.12) or FoCal (1.6), neither software registers that the camera is connected to the machine.  Here's where it gets weirder, everything works fine on a laptop with win7 and on another laptop with the same build of windows 8.  I'm using the same usb cables and whatnot. 

So I gave Canon customer support a call (amazing support btw), but they were at a loss for words as to why it wasn't showing up.  Was just wondering if anyone here might have a possible solution or something I could try.

Works fine for me. Does the computer recognize the camera at all?
1D X - 5D MKIII - 7D - 24 f1.4L - 8-15 L - 50 1.2L - 85 1.2L - 15 2.8 - 16-35 2.8L - 24-105 4.0L - 70-200 2.8 LII - 24 TSE - 45 TSE - 90 TSE - MPE 65 - 180 f3.5L - 100 2.8L II - 580EX and a few Einsteins.

squarebox

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 12:11:28 PM »
I can confirm I am having the same issue. 

I am using a HP Z800 workstation (Just in case it matters - Dual Xeon's - X5570, 12GB ECC RAM, Quadro 5000, Intel 320 series SSD, Intel USB2.0).  My Z800 was running Win 7 Pro 64-bit with no issues.  I deleted the partition on my C Drive on my Z800, then formatted it, then clean installed Win 8 Pro 64-Bit.

The 5D Mark III is detected fine in Windows, no errors and listed correctly. 

I have tried setting the program as 'run as an administrator'. I have also tried running in all the Compatibility modes.  I have 9 USB ports on the Z800, I have tried all of them.  I have also tried running off a powered USB Hub.  None of these things helped, the issue is still there.

I believe this is likely to be an issue with the Canon software and we will need to wait for an update or new version from Canon.

Happy to be proved wrong of course :)
Hi.
   Since it's work on Windows 7 64-bits, but doesn't in Windows 8 64-bits, I think it's a Windows 8 issue. If I were you, I won't be the first to use any new OS... most OS always have issue during initial released.

By the way, I run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant on my Computer and I was surprise to see that it's mark "Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional " as not compatible. If "Microsoft Visual Studio 2010" is not compatible with Windows 8, I wonder how the software it's develop will be able to compatible with Windows 8??

Have a nice day.

I've been running both VS2010 and VS2012 side by side on windows 8 for a month or two since the RTM came out.  There are have been no issues with it preventing development.

That being said, I did check device manager and there aren't any driver issues, and no exclamation points. 

When I hook up the camera windows detects that it is there and opens up the special camera window where i can see the battery left on the camera and how full the memory card is.  I can even launch the EOS utility from there, but it's the EOS utility not picking it up. 

My suspicion is that there is *something* hardware wise on my machine blocking access to the camera for the EOS utility.
5Dmk3 - 16-35L - 24-105L - 70-200L F2.8 mk2 - 35L - 50mm 1.4 - 100L - 600xt-rt

cocopop05

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 04:10:46 AM »
Thank you everyone for all your suggestions.

No matter what I do I cannot get the EOS Utility to recognise the camera.  I uninstalled everything Canon and re-installed and then ran all the latest updates from the Canon website for Win 8 64-bit.

Like others here my camera is recognised by Windows and I can browse to the camera in Win Explorer.  I do not believe this is a hardware issue.  It all works aside from the EOS Utility.

I believe this is an issue/bug with the EOS Utility (I am running 2.12.0.0), a future release form Canon may help.

I also have an HP EliteBook 8570w running Win 7 64-bit.  But I am planning on upgrading that to Win 8, let's see if I have any luck with that :)

Rofflesaurrr

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 04:32:24 AM »
After the camera is connected to a USB port, open Windows Device Manager and see if there are any devices with a yellow exclamation point next to them. This will tell you if there is a driver that stopped or failed to load properly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 04:32:24 AM »

cocopop05

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 04:59:50 AM »
Thanks Rofflesaurrr, I just tried that now and everything is listed perfectly with no yellow exclamation marks and no unknown devices listed.

I did not really expect there to be any issues in Device Manager as the camera is recognised by Windows and I can browse to it in Windows Explorer.  I can open and copy files from the camera to my PC.  The drivers all appear to work.

See the attached screen shot.  No issues in Device Manager and you can see the file on the camera in Explorer.

PeterJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 06:36:37 AM »
Just a random thought, maybe try going to the installation directory (probably C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility) and try a right-mouse click and "Run as administrator" on the EOS Utility.

cocopop05

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 07:27:04 AM »
Hi PeterJ, tried that and it made no difference.  Nor have any of the compatibility modes.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 08:02:42 AM »
I believe this is an issue/bug with the EOS Utility (I am running 2.12.0.0), a future release form Canon may help.

I expect this is likely the case.  If EOS Utility won't work, FoCal likely will not either, since both are based on the same APIs from Canon's SDK.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

cr1cr1

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 07:43:37 PM »
I had the same issues with my EOS 7D on Windows 8 64bit RTM.

EOS utility and other utilities like eos_movierec did not find my camera.

After some searching found the solution here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=15276437&postcount=49

In Device Manager, do you see any other devices other than your camera under "Portable Devices"? Under mine, I have listed 4 removable media drives "SD, CF, etc.) that corresponded to my All-in-one Internal USB2.0 connector Card Reader. Each slot is shown as a drive letter. I disabled all four drives by right clicking each one and choosing "Disable" Once that was complete I plugged the camera back in and started the Eos Utility. Camera was now fully recognized. I can still use the media slots even with each drive being disabled.

tolusina

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 08:38:21 PM »
Hi all!
First post here from a lurker, a fed up with Nikon user, not buying another, wanta Canon 6d.
Post is intentionally maybe-ish being also unfamiliar with Win 8, still on XP SP3.

I would not be surprised if its because something in Windows 8 is grabbing access to the camera first.  I ran into this issue on FoCal on Win7 when I had DSLR Remote Pro opened and it grabbed the camera first.  Only one program can be accessing the camera at any given time.  I am not a windows 8 user but I suspect there is some way of having Windows no opening access to the device itself.  This is different than the CF card showing up as a drive letter.
and...
Seeing files on 5D3 and control 5D3 are two different things.  Accessing 5D3 file is via mass storage driver, which is a Windows building driver.  Controlling 5D3 must go through Canon driver.  If you have problem to use EOS Utility, that means the Canon driver doesn't work on your system.  You have better check if there is any driver problem from device manager.  If there is a problem, you need to reinstall the driver.  If there is no problem, you have better contact with Canon for newer driver.  You also can try the compatibility mode for your EOS Utility.  Don't complain to FoCal because FoCal works via EOS Utility.

These two posts seem to me to be saying about the same thing, just saying it differently. Here's another take...

To browse the camera's files, it must be "mounted" as an external drive. "Mount" is a common Linux concept, Windows doesn't call it that, but it still does it.
In XP, to "unmount" a device, go to the System Tray at the bottom right of the desktop, find the icon for "Safely Remove Hardware" and double click on it. As the "Remove Hardware" applet opens, it'll list all the currently connected USB devices. Find your camera on that list and click on "Stop" which will "unmount" the camera even though it is still physically and electrically connected. This may free up the camera for lower level access by the PC's OS to the camera's OS through the EOS Utility.

40 on 6

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 08:38:21 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2012, 11:38:00 PM »
I just got around to setting up my Windows 8 pc today, and tried Focal and my 5D MK III.  I did have to update to the latest Canon utilities version, 2.12 and then it worked fine.  It did not work with 2.11.
I also had to restart the PC after updating.
I installed Stardock "Start8" as a test to get back the Windows 7 UI and Start Menu.  That works nicely.  It does cost $5.  I'm still using the trial, but I'll most certainly buy it.  I also use fences from Stardock to organize the 50 or more icons on my desktop.

scottkinfw

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 01:23:03 AM »
Did you delete and reinstall Focal?

I have done a clean install of the old version and newest version.  I have uninstalled FOcal as well to see if it was interfering with the EOS utility, but no dice.

I have tried all the USB ports on my machine as well.
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 01:23:03 AM »