October 20, 2014, 11:47:44 PM

Author Topic: Will canon make an 85f2 IS?  (Read 5186 times)

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
Re: Will canon make an 85f2 IS?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 08:38:32 PM »
So I just ordered the 85mm 1.8. Should I return it? I want the 1.8 for low light video and depth of field in pictures. Given the current trend I wonder if it would be best to return it and just wait. Seems like it won't be but another two months or so? Is would be helpful and the current trend is also for better picture quality.

Nah, hang on to it. You can take some great pictures in the meantime. And when the new 85 comes you can sell the old one to help pay for it. It'll be longer that two months, even after it's announced and released you'll want to wait for the price to drop. The 85 1.8 is a great low light lens for the price.

Are you using FF or crop? It's great on both but you'll get smaller dof on FF. In my opinion f/1.8 on FF is too shallow for video if the subject is people. It's harder to keep them in focus without constant focus pulls. Prob better to use f/4 and just crank up ISO. The 85 when stopped down is amazing.
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 08:38:32 PM »

BRNexus6

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 09:28:59 PM »
I'm sure they will replace the majority of their old lenses with IS replacements.

Prepare to pay around $800 for such a lens.

gjones5252

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 11:17:06 PM »
So I just ordered the 85mm 1.8. Should I return it? I want the 1.8 for low light video and depth of field in pictures. Given the current trend I wonder if it would be best to return it and just wait. Seems like it won't be but another two months or so? Is would be helpful and the current trend is also for better picture quality.

Nah, hang on to it. You can take some great pictures in the meantime. And when the new 85 comes you can sell the old one to help pay for it. It'll be longer that two months, even after it's announced and released you'll want to wait for the price to drop. The 85 1.8 is a great low light lens for the price.

Are you using FF or crop? It's great on both but you'll get smaller dof on FF. In my opinion f/1.8 on FF is too shallow for video if the subject is people. It's harder to keep them in focus without constant focus pulls. Prob better to use f/4 and just crank up ISO. The 85 when stopped down is amazing.
Ok awesome. Thanks for the input. I have both crop and full frame. Yeah I will use it and a wide angle for concert type video. This probably the last lens ill buy for a while and now I am saving for a better camera just for the higher iso and better autofocus for pictures.

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 12:34:16 PM »

When, and if, an 85/1.8 IS comes out, it will sell for double that of the current 85/1.8.  So you can sell your 85/1.8 for what you have paid for it at that time.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 05:12:30 PM »

When, and if, an 85/1.8 IS comes out, it will sell for double that of the current 85/1.8.  So you can sell your 85/1.8 for what you have paid for it at that time.
Very solid logic there
APS-H Fanboy

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 11:49:04 AM »
Although an F2 version of the 85 would be good especially if it is the hybrid IS. Canon would be smarter to make it 85 F2.8 hybrid IS to keep it more distant from the F1.2. If they do an F2 version they should have regular IS. If the 35 F2 were regular IS it would make it easier to overlook. If i was Canon I would streamline the lens lineup, 1 L version, one non L. The funny thing is the new 24-70 F4 screws that up. I get the white lens being duplicated but don't understand this 24-70F4 L concept. Given that 35mm is a more popular lens like the 50 and 85 focal lengths It makes sense to give it added spice. I'd say there are way more shooters out there that feel safer shooting F2.8 or smaller apertures. Given that I'd say there will be some major value to hybrid is helping with panning motion and low light shooting. Shooting F1.4 means more focus issues with movement, yes you get faster shutter speeds but your miss rate increases also. There are pluses and minuses to every lens.
It is pretty obvious Canon wants their cameras to be used heavily for video until those who get more serious are ready for their cinema lens lineup. Having IS on more of their lenses I believe is a priority for them. Just look at firmware updates and features, Canon seems to make these cameras a priority of 60/40, camera/video. I am ok if this is wrong, I made it up, but they are really getting serious about video! This kinda annoys me since the whole focus point thing not lighting up is a very useful camera function that they def knew they skipped but wow hdmi is coming to 5dm3. WTH!
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 07:10:55 PM »
an 85 f2.8 with HIS is too close to the 100f2.8L HIS Macro
cant really see it being f2.8
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 07:10:55 PM »

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 01:20:36 AM »
Not a bad point Wickid but 85 is more ideal for portraits imo. Besides the 100 is macro and 85 wouldn't be.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 01:20:36 AM »