August 20, 2014, 07:14:35 PM

Author Topic: Very few EOS 1 bodies sold - wonder why!!  (Read 12892 times)

chesterman

Very few EOS 1 bodies sold - wonder why!!
« on: June 01, 2011, 05:25:42 PM »
In the latest rumour it was mentioned that canon sell hardly any EOS 1 bodies relative to the 5D II.  This is simply because Canon haven't brought out a quality EOS 1 full frame camera for many years!  If the 1D IV had have been full frame then the story would have been very different!!! 

canon rumors FORUM

Very few EOS 1 bodies sold - wonder why!!
« on: June 01, 2011, 05:25:42 PM »

kkoster

Re: Very few EOS 1 bodies sold - wonder why!!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 05:52:27 PM »
In the latest rumour it was mentioned that canon sell hardly any EOS 1 bodies relative to the 5D II.  This is simply because Canon haven't brought out a quality EOS 1 full frame camera for many years!  If the 1D IV had have been full frame then the story would have been very different!!!

Funny you should say that. I was having a conversation with a colleague this evening and I told him that even if the 5D mark II was sold at a greater cost that the EOS 1D, I'd still go for the 5D2. I'd never swap mine for a 1D. Never. (But then I am a videographer)

chesterman

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 05:54:55 PM »
That's because the current 1D models are sh%@$t

LFG530

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 06:35:11 PM »

The 1dIV is a pretty good camera imo why do you say that? and the 5dII is also far from perfect (i.e Ergonomics and AF system), but I have to agree the actual 1d's don't compete really well with their nikon counterparts...

dougkerr

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • The Pumpkin
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 06:54:09 PM »
In the latest rumour it was mentioned that canon sell hardly any EOS 1 bodies relative to the 5D II.
Not too surprising - I don't think the EOS 1 has been made since about 1995.

Best regards,

Doug

chesterman

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 07:09:06 PM »

The 1dIV is a pretty good camera imo why do you say that? and the 5dII is also far from perfect (i.e Ergonomics and AF system), but I have to agree the actual 1d's don't compete really well with their nikon counterparts...

I'm still annoyed that Canon decided to not look after it's professional market by not producing a professional body with state of the art image quality (like the 5DII) combined with a professional focusing system - that it could have done when it brought out it's 1D IV that hardly anyone wanted (because it wasn't full frame).  We had a choice to either move to Nikon or go down the 5DII road.  About have the Canon professionals I know went Nikon and the other half begrudgingly went for the 5DII.  It's a great camera and after a while you get used to (and even like) it's lighter weight but it's focussing system still lets me and most of the guys I know that use it down frequently.

I now just have to laugh now when I hear someone say why should Canon put much effort in their EOS1 range when they hardly sell any!!

baks5523

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 07:24:13 PM »
In many situations I couldnt agree more about the 1d. However my main stuff is sports and I couldnt imagine shooting it with anything else. I bought a 7d to replace my 1d mkIIn thinking that it would do the trick but I find myself still using the 1d to shoot the live action stuff like baseball. Even being a couple generations old I find the 1d in servo mode to be quicker and more accurate than my 7d with the same glass. Unfortunatly I see the market for the 1d shrinking down to guys like me who need the high frame rate. Other than that you can get by nicely with the 5d mkII.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 07:24:13 PM »

SaucyCrackers

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 08:04:11 PM »
In many situations I couldnt agree more about the 1d. However my main stuff is sports and I couldnt imagine shooting it with anything else. I bought a 7d to replace my 1d mkIIn thinking that it would do the trick but I find myself still using the 1d to shoot the live action stuff like baseball. Even being a couple generations old I find the 1d in servo mode to be quicker and more accurate than my 7d with the same glass. Unfortunatly I see the market for the 1d shrinking down to guys like me who need the high frame rate. Other than that you can get by nicely with the 5d mkII.

You do know that you can change the AI Servo speed on the 7D, right?

baks5523

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 08:53:07 PM »
You do know that you can change the AI Servo speed on the 7D, right?

Yeah I know, and I didn't mean it to sound like it was light years faster but it's a noticeable "tick" quicker for me on moving subjects.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 12:42:36 AM »
Anyone who knocks the  1D MkIV clearly has not used one. It's easily the best camera I've ever had, I'm constantly bowled over by the performance, handling, flexibility and of course the files. People who knock the 1-series cameras probably have never owned one.

1Ds MkIII vs 5DmkII? Video isn't an important area for me and if it was I'd get a dedicated video camera. The 1-series bodies are expensive but you definitely get what you pay for. My 1DsIII is a serious workhorse. When you look at the feature set (eg 45 point AF), the ergonomics and attention to detail plus the fact that it feels like it was carved from a solid lump of unobtainium it's no contest for a photographer who works their equipment hard in all sorts of environments in dynamic situations for a client who is most likely paying you quite a lot of money to 1. deliver the goods and 2. Not stuff up.

Agreed, in a static environment the files delivered from a 5DII would be indistinguishable from 1DsIII. So for video shooters,  fair-weather landscape shooters, studio shooters and people who plain can't afford a 1-series Canon the 5DII is an excellent choice. But don't heap criticism on 1-series cameras from the comfort of your chair if you base your comments on hearsay, speculation etc unless you have had first hand experience with what is spectacular piece of equipment.

Paul Wright

Cannon Man

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 01:38:29 AM »
Could not agree more with PWP! i have used the 1D Mark IV for almost a year now and i absolutely love the camera!
i love how you can customize everything and everything is designed near perfection when it comes to ease of use.. to me its THE complete camera. i will never go back to 5D cameras just because the built quality feels really toyish and cheap, just pressing the shutter button on a 5D after 1DIV feels really bad and it is too small for my hands and i hated having a battery grip on a 5D II.

Not trying to sound like a hater but i have never been releaved more than when i changed to 1D IV, even more so than barely making it to the toilet. i will be changing my other 1D IV to the new 1Ds model when it comes because i like full frame cameras but in the meantime i will be loveing my 1D IV's like no other.

kkoster

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 04:13:47 AM »
Video isn't an important area for me and if it was I'd get a dedicated video camera.

I love it when people make statements like this. You're not a videographer, yet you feel compelled to make summary judgement on the 5D2's video capabilities?

Photographers frequently debase the video features of the camera, without realising how much the 5D2 has changed the landscape in the filmmaking world (which took even Canon by surprise). Hence the reason they released many firmware revisions to take it to its maximum potential.

Our company owns three 5D2s and none of them are used for photography. As long as you respect the limitations the camera has, it can produce completely stunning cinematic results that most "dedicated video cameras" can't match, not to mention the portability and versatility a camera of that size offers, interchangability of primes lenses, etc etc... Need I go on.

tomscott

• 6D
  • Graphic Designer & Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Tom Scott | Photography
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 06:39:38 AM »
Lets be honest the question we need to ask is... where is the professional sector going? The professional sector has been struggling for years. With the event of everything turning digital it has made it even easier for people to get into the industry and be good at it. Also making it very hard for pros to make as much money. Look at other companies that are struggling in their professional line up:

Apple - Apple's success and saviour was its professional following, they have now pretty much deserted these customers with pro hardware and software that is taking 2-3+ years to replace/update infuriating customers (2-3 years is a long time in the computer world). Instead they are concentrating on their consumer products, macbook pros and imac outsell mac pros 1000:1 the market isnt as strong in this sector anymore so putting money into it isnt as worth it. Upgrading them every 6s months makes sense and costs alot less because of the volume sales.

The same can be said for most companies, there isnt enough innovation to create a very secure product range in the camera world. This has been extremely obvious by most pros leaving the 1D market and moving to the 5D or 7D. Nearly half the set up costs and these cameras more than produce adequate imagery for newspapers and magazines.

The 1Ds on paper doesn't offer a stupid amount more for its price tag compared to the 5D, £6000 compared to £1500 is a large amount for weather sealing and 45 AF points (as main selling points). Now in practise this is very different and these cameras feel and perform very differently and the 1Ds is a superb camera. But we are in the middle of recession and everyone wants to save money so in my opinion and obviously alot of others the switch was obvious!

What is the definitive factor that makes you buy the camera? It used to be a large factor between the amateur/semi/pro ranges but now they are tiny electronic factors that most people either um and arr about for ages untill the product is so old a new one is inevitable and the process starts again, the blog is filled with it! or people who arnt too bothered about it and will part with the cash. Most others will live without it and go with the cheaper option like we have seen apart from the die hard pros with the breed becoming thinner. The semi pro/pro line seems to be merging in every sense, the tech has got so good that people can do without the most expensive pro equipment because they offer very similar features.

People are complaining about the AF in the 5D yet alot of pros switched from the 1Ds, it must say something. Cost most probably and the fact the 5D will do! the extra £4500 goes along way! Canon will not put 45 in a 5D because that is the definitive feature that will finally kill the sales of the 1Ds range.

Now we see very similar features throughout the amateur/semi/pro ranges its hard to justify the cost. Now everyone has their needs but in the recession and if you could get by, by reducing your cost by 3/4s and you can still do the same job without all the bells and whistles people will.

Something big has to happen to jump start the pro scene, and at the moment in every sense it is dying because innovation is lagging. The other factor is how far can you go! what else can they pack into a DSLR? video is available from the £400 DSLRs all the way to £6000 the only difference is the quality, but higher up the quality is  less distinguishable.

Like in my previous posts I dont see the DSLR market to be the best market for video. There is only so much you can do. A new product range which is more ergonomic for the video user with fully fledged features based on the EF system would make more sense. I think the rumour about the 5D being split is ridiculous, but the more i think about it the more i feel that canon will go along this line but the rumour about it being split from the 5D to be slightly wrong not split but a new product range. Call it the 3D or what ever, it will use the same system but designed to incorporate all the essential equipment a videographer needs but also keep the small form factor of the DSLR.

A new homologation product.
5D MKIII, 16-35mm F2.8 II L, 24-70mm F2.8 L, 24-105mm F4 IS L, 100mm F2.8 IS L, 70-200mm F2.8 IS II L, 50mm F1.8, 2x Ex, 580EX
BU: 40D,17-55mm F2.8 IS
www.tomscottphotography.co.uk

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 06:39:38 AM »

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 07:20:10 AM »
Apples and Oranges. The 1D's/1Ds's and 5D's are different cameras with different target groups in mind.

At the end of the day, there isn't a great number of folks out there who thinks its feasible (or can afford) to dish out 5 grands for the 10 fps burst.

However, if you are a reporter/sports photographer who depends on the 10 fps of 1DIV instead of the 3.9 fps, then you better buy it.
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 07:45:19 AM »
I'd hazard a guess that canon hardly sell any 7Ds and 5Dmkii compared to the 60D/550D/600D/1100D.
Maybe they're going to drop every single-digit line then?
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 07:45:19 AM »