August 20, 2014, 03:03:12 AM

Author Topic: Very few EOS 1 bodies sold - wonder why!!  (Read 12890 times)

Duranmoritz

Re: Very few EOS 1 bodies sold - wonder why!!
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2011, 01:39:18 PM »
I had 2 1DMarkIV. And I was delighted. But - and this was the reasen why I sold them after approx 3000 shots:
That format APS-H is a big disadvantage using wide angle lenses. You simply loose space. a 28mm lens is only a
37 mm lens. I bought 2 EOS 7 D. They are only APS-C format but the lenses are built accordingly and the camera is excellent. I am waiting for a 1DsMARKIV or whatever the camera will named. But it must a FF Camera. I am very interested if there will be the new model in august.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2011, 01:39:18 PM »

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2011, 02:41:50 PM »
I had 2 1DMarkIV. And I was delighted. But - and this was the reasen why I sold them after approx 3000 shots:
That format APS-H is a big disadvantage using wide angle lenses. You simply loose space. a 28mm lens is only a
37 mm lens. I bought 2 EOS 7 D. They are only APS-C format but the lenses are built accordingly and the camera is excellent. I am waiting for a 1DsMARKIV or whatever the camera will named. But it must a FF Camera. I am very interested if there will be the new model in august.

curious to know what focal lengths you found yourself shooting most often.  the 16-35 on a 1DMkIV is a 21-46mm equivalent, which is a very useful range.  I wouldn't recommend the 1DIV OR the 7D if you shoot a lot of wide angle ... and find it strange that you insist on a FF camera but didn't buy the 5D Mark II instead

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2011, 07:43:28 PM »

That doesn't make a lick of sense to me, going from 1.3 to 1.6 crop - wat? The 16-35 is plenty wide on a crop and was more or less made to cater for the crop cameras. People have just gone completely overboard on what is wide angle. A 50MM is more or less considered a tele these days...

Regarding topic - this has been said:

The 5D II is a great camera for what it's good at. But it fails hard in some pretty crucial areas compared to the 1D IV.
Autofocus, speed, build quality = the things that the 1D is. It cannot match it. My 1D II is better in those respects.
Where it wins is the smaller, less threathening size.

Regarding image quality: The 1D IV is less noisy than the 5D II, especially for video.

And they sell plenty. Just got back from sporting event, all 1D IV's or Nikon D3. Same as last time. And the time before that.

gferdinandsen

• EOS M2
  • was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
One thing that really came to mind for me with this thread.  I just sold my ten year old 1V, for which I paid $2100.  One thing that was nice in the film days, your camera was top of the line for a long time, and for much less money.  I now use the 5D2, and boy do I miss the 45 point AF of the 1V, but since I do mostly landscapes, it's not much of a loss.  But I know in 10 year, my 5D2 will be very dated
1v HS, 5D3, 60 Da, 40D (IR), G1-X, 17-40L, 24-70L (Mk II), 24-105L, 70-200L (2.8 Mk 1), 24 TS-E L (Mk 1), 45 TS-E, 50 1.2L, 100 L Macro -- CPS Gold Membership

Rowbear

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Robert Gravel
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2011, 08:28:41 PM »
Lets be honest the question we need to ask is... where is the professional sector going? The professional sector has been struggling for years. With the event of everything turning digital it has made it even easier for people to get into the industry and be good at it. Also making it very hard for pros to make as much money. Look at other companies that are struggling in their professional line up:

Apple - Apple's success and saviour was its professional following, they have now pretty much deserted these customers with pro hardware and software that is taking 2-3+ years to replace/update infuriating customers (2-3 years is a long time in the computer world). Instead they are concentrating on their consumer products, macbook pros and imac outsell mac pros 1000:1 the market isnt as strong in this sector anymore so putting money into it isnt as worth it. Upgrading them every 6s months makes sense and costs alot less because of the volume sales.....

+1 Best post I've read in a long time. Your analogy with Apple is spot on  8)

TerjeS

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2011, 07:10:41 AM »
Size and price, is my primary thought...
My future wish is full frame 1D without the vertical grip, to the cost of 5DII. Even slightly higher pricing would be ok.
I have both 5DII and 1DIII, I love the 1DIII. 5DII is small and light, and great to bring along everywhere, but photography with 1DIII is far more fun and intuitive whatever the subject, but it's to often to big.
It reminds me of the time I had both 10D and EOS3, 10D was practical but 3 felt like heaven.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2011, 07:10:41 AM »