September 21, 2014, 06:34:09 PM

Author Topic: Those D'oh moments!  (Read 2459 times)

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Those D'oh moments!
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 07:28:04 PM »
The Big D'oh Moment came for me on my first job with my then brand new 1Ds in late 2002. The purchase coincided with a switch to an all-RAW workflow. After shooting jpegs with the 6.3 megapixel D60, a 256Mb and a huge  :o  512Mb CF card were enough for most jobs. I shot economically then, a flow-on from film days.

The 12 megapixel 1Ds RAW files filled the cards in no time at all leaving me red-faced with an annoyed, barely understanding client who I never heard from again. It was messy. Sigh...They would have been within their rights to sue me.

Most d'oh moments have a silver lining, and for me it was the importance of never being caught short on card capacity, battery capacity and so on. CF cards were expensive in 2002, but losing a client has implications way beyond the few hundred dollars cost of extra cards or portable download HDD device.

-pw

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 07:28:04 PM »

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 08:02:36 PM »
Hi Folks.
Wow I feel a little less foolish now I know I am not alone!
I did have 3 other D'oh moments, one was the mode dial got spun to the green box, took a while to work out why BBF quit working!  :-[  and the AF/MF button got slid to MF on both lenses, knew what to look for after the first lens!  :)
The last one was forgetting to put the shutter speed back up after trying to get prop blur, damn no props on the Vulcan!
All these mistakes over a 2 day session, yep not going to quit my day job!

Marsu, your automation sounds very enterprising, do we all need to learn to code to achieve this, or is it a settings thing?
I'm guessing learn to code as I don't recall seeing any settings like you use in my O.T.S. ML version.  :'(

Cheers, Graham.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

DominoDude

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 08:34:31 PM »
One of my bylines could be: I shoot, therefore I D'oh...
First I had the Canon EOS 50D'oh, and now I have my 7D'oh. The sum of that should come pretty close to what I have "achieved". I have done a few of yours, but a true D'oh-master goes his own ways to find a higher level of stooopido.

Examples:
* For a while I had a habit of checking if my lenscap was on, not by being smart and tilting the camera to look into the hood to see if it was on. Oh no, I reached in with my fingers trying to pinch the imaginary cap to check. You can guess the result.
* A double-D'oh was when I rested my 50/1.4 on a fallen tree while shifting to some other glass. The lens slid off and bounced a few times on branches and then on some moss to make sure the cap came off and the lens could stand deeply in the moss with the front element against it. The second D'oh of that was that it was my Sigma and it didn't show any signs of being scratched or damaged at all. So I couldn't get that final reason to justify me getting rid of that bastard glass.
* 2.5 months ago when my 400mm tipped over and bounced against a few rocks, together with my 7D, before landing in a nice mixture of clay, sand and water.

Any of you guys that care to lend me one of those nice Otuses? Huh? Hey, guys! Don't run away...
Yesterday I tried to toss an egg on someone against the wind. Today the yolk's on me.

shining example

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2014, 08:58:28 PM »
I do the two-second timer thing so often it doesn't even merit a "d'oh" anymore, just a "not this again" eyeroll...

Speaking of remote controls, though... I use a wireless remote control. The receiver takes a CS2 battery which I always remove when I'm not using it as it will turn itself on and empty the battery when carried around in a gear bag. The transmitter uses one of those flat batteries and needs to be opened up with a screwdriver to change it, but it doesn't usually turn itself on in my bag, or else it doesn't use much battery power when it does - either way, it's never been a problem. But I always keep spare batteries of both types and a tiny screwdriver with my gear, just in case.

Thus well prepared, I set out early one morning to shoot the sunrise. I arrived, bleary-eyed and shivering, at the location from which I was hoping to shoot, set up my gear, fumbled out my remote, inserted the battery for the receiver, connected it, turned it on, turned on the transmitter... nope. Nothing. Dead. So I fumbled out the spare battery and the tiny screwdriver, and took a good look at the transmitter... at which point I realised that it was all well and good having a spare battery and a tiny screwdriver to hand, but opening up a small device held together by tiny screws outdoors in the cold and dark is not a feasible operation, at least not if you're hoping to put said device back together again afterwards.

The real d'oh here, of course, was that I had thought several times over the preceding days that I really should check the battery in the transmitter because I hadn't used it for a while. It would have taken all of two seconds, but somehow, I didn't...

And the sunrise was rubbish too.

AcutancePhotography

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2014, 09:02:05 AM »
My worst D'oh moment was back in the film days.

Ugg,  Don't get me started on the film loading experiences with my AE-1

Far too many outings where I come back and wonder why it only took a few winds to rewind an entire roll of film  (facepalm).

Not only do you not get any photographs, you waste a whole roll of film (extracting the leader is not an easy task).

Everything I learned about swearing, I learned from my AE-1.   ;D
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

DominoDude

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2014, 01:53:19 PM »
That last double quote reminded me of another D'oh from my very early analogue days. Dad's camera and it was loaded with a 24 exp film. Counter was on 24-25 or some such, and I knew he regularly milked 27 or 28 frames out of those films. So I decided to play around a little with those last frames, but first I found a little recessed button that looked interesting - obviously it had to be pushed. Nothing happened. Oh, well, lets find something to shoot instead. I did.
But a button like that had to DO something. I better press it again, and look more carefully if something happens someplace on the camera. Nope, njet, nada. Ok, I give up, I crank it up again and I shoot instead.
I never figured out on my own that it was the button that released the forwarding of the film so that you could crank up the necessary springs and do multiple exposures. We got back a film with one very artsy, and very bright, shot on it - 3 overlayed normal exposures on top of each other.
Yesterday I tried to toss an egg on someone against the wind. Today the yolk's on me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2014, 01:53:19 PM »