Gear Talk > Lighting

Canon Speedlite 90EX (EOS-M) - master capable on all EOS bodies?

(1/5) > >>

AvTvM:
just found this post on German foto community http://www.fotocommunity.de/forum/d-slr-fortgeschritten/drahtloses-blitzen-mit-speedlite-fuer-alle-eos-359176 which claims the small external Canon speedlite 90EX which was released alongside the EOS-M seems to work as a wireless master flash [line of sight, optical] on all Canon EOS DSLRs. Mastering capabilities almost equal to the 580EX.
3 groups and best of all HSS mastering on top.

I cannot verify, sicne this speedlite is not available yet were I live and furthermore I have a 7D with pop-up master flash built in. Although that one will NOT do HSS mastering.

If confirmed, this would be a really interesting and cheap option for owners of EOS bodies without pop-up flash, namely 5D/2/3 and 1D/s/X.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-6825B002-Speedlite-90EX-Flash/dp/B008NF8998/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352565396&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+90ex

AvTvM:
just checked the Canon website and it confirms the 90EX works as master-flash.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/speedlite_flash_lineup/speedlite_90ex#Features
For a number of advanced lighting setups, the Speedlite 90EX can be used as a master transmitter to control multiple flash units - wirelessly! Through 4 channel optical light pulse transmission, the Speedlite 90EX can control up to three groups of slave-enabled flashes, controlling power from 8:1 to 1:8 in 1/2 stop increments. It can transmit up to approximately 16.4 ft. indoors, up to 23 ft. outdoors.

wickidwombat:
i just tested in on a 5Dmk2 for you with 580ex2 as a slave and it works just have to do all the flash control from the in camera menus,
Not as good as the odins but it does work

AvTvM:
@wickidwombat: thanks.

So aside from ST-E3 and 600EX-RT (with radio and line-of sight wireless) there are now 3 options for light-pulse line-of-sight wireless mastering available from Canon. Each with it's own set of advantages and disadvantages:

* master-capable flash, eg. 580EX/II
functionality: master triggering, 4 channels, 3 groups (A,B,C), 1. curtain and HSS; AF-assist (both IR and flash) 
Upside: powerful fully featured flash functionality; downside: bulk/weight, cost   

* ST-E2 - same capabilities as 580EX/II, AF-assist (IR);
Upside: small&light, "cheap"; downside: no flash functionality on its own

* Speedlite 90EX
same as 580EX and ST-E2, but no AF-assist; basic, weak (fill) flash capability 
Upside: small& light, cheap; Downside: no AF assist functionality

Plus another option available on newer EOS bodies with master-capable pop-up flash:
* 7D (3 groups of slaves), 650D (2 groups), 60D, 600D (1 group)
functionality similar to 90EX, minus HSS master capability, but plus AF-assist (flash only) 
Advantage: built-in, no extra item, no extra cost; Downside: available only on newer APS-C bodies; no HSS in  wireless mode

Unfortunately neither one of the "small, light & cheap" options has all desired functionality. 

And regrettably none of Canon's wireless mastering options offers 2nd curtain sync whereas all of Nikons's wireless CLS options do provide 1st, 2nd curtain and HSS in wireless mode - but they got no radio wireless as of yet. ;-)   

Marsu42:

--- Quote from: AvTvM on November 11, 2012, 07:54:43 AM ---And regrettably none of Canon's wireless mastering options offers 2nd curtain sync whereas all of Nikons's wireless CLS options do provide 1st, 2nd curtain and HSS in wireless mode - but they got no radio wireless as of yet. ;-)

--- End quote ---

I'm still amazed why Canon didn't add 2nd curtain wireless at least to the new 600rt protocol - since rt is not backward compatible anyway, it would have been easy to add this feature as ettl-iii. But maybe it'll be on the 660rt :-p ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version