Gear Talk > Lighting

Canon Speedlite 90EX (EOS-M) - master capable on all EOS bodies?

<< < (2/5) > >>

wickidwombat:

--- Quote from: AvTvM on November 11, 2012, 07:54:43 AM ---

And regrettably none of Canon's wireless mastering options offers 2nd curtain sync whereas all of Nikons's wireless CLS options do provide 1st, 2nd curtain and HSS in wireless mode - but they got no radio wireless as of yet. ;-)

--- End quote ---

I'll have to check again but I was fairly sure second curtain sync was able to be enabled in the camera menu when i had the 90 ex on it, the tiny size and weight are definately a good plus for this little guy

AvTvM:

--- Quote from: wickidwombat on November 11, 2012, 06:27:16 PM ---I'll have to check again but I was fairly sure second curtain sync was able to be enabled in the camera menu when i had the 90 ex on it, the tiny size and weight are definately a good plus for this little guy

--- End quote ---

@wickidwombat: could you please take a look into this feature, once your time allows? I am fairly certain 2nd curtain Sync will not be available in wireless mode. However, I would be more than happy if I were proven wrong on this one and would immediately order a 90EX. :-)
Thanks!

DanielG.:

--- Quote from: AvTvM on November 12, 2012, 09:26:18 AM ---I am fairly certain 2nd curtain Sync will not be available in wireless mode.
--- End quote ---

In wireless mode the menu option for 2nd curtain sync changes to high speed sync.

bycostello:

--- Quote from: DanielG. on November 13, 2012, 12:11:25 PM ---
--- Quote from: AvTvM on November 12, 2012, 09:26:18 AM ---I am fairly certain 2nd curtain Sync will not be available in wireless mode.
--- End quote ---

In wireless mode the menu option for 2nd curtain sync changes to high speed sync.

--- End quote ---

big gripe with canon and not allowing 2nd curtain on off camera flash

unfocused:
A couple of observations from using the 7D. The on-camera flash must fire for the trigger to work. (The flash has no effect on the exposure as it is synced to fire before the shutter opens, but it must fire.) This has a tendency to overheat the flash very quickly. Once it overheats, it shuts down until it cools off. The net result is that you are out of business until it cools down. Embarrassing and frustrating if you are in the middle of shooting a portrait.

I don't know if the small 90EX fires when you use it to trigger a slave or if it is subject to the same overheating, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does overheat quickly, given its small size. Just something to be cautious about.

After several embarrassing and frustrating incidents, where the flash quit triggering my 580 II's, I decided to go for the Yongnuo knockoff of the ST-E2. I'm not a professional, so I could not justify the cost of pocket wizards. The Yongnuo is less than half the price of the ST-E2, has worked very well and even rotates in the hotshoe so it can be aimed better at the strobes (something the RT-E2 doesn't do). If it dies on me, I can always use the 7D's on-camera trigger, but this way I have a backup. Just something to factor in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version