Gear Talk > Technical Support

Best Methods For Long Term File Storage ??

<< < (2/18) > >>

neuroanatomist:

--- Quote from: Iahcon on November 13, 2012, 10:22:34 AM ---I keep two copies on separate external hard drives.

--- End quote ---

As do I, and the two HDDs are stored in different physical locations (home and work).  Those copies are made as soon as the images are processed (and until then, they're still on the CF cards - since getting the 1D X, I always have at least 2 copies of every image).  Quarterly, I make a DVD backup that goes in a safe deposit box in a third location (different town than home or work).

florianbieler.de:
Got mine synced to a 2,5" external hdd which i use not that often.

Crapking:
What about on-line "cloud" storage sites which allow access without physically requiring the disk drive? 
Of course this is in addition to the physical backups, but I use Phanfare.com {with a reasonable annual fee}, which allows web-based access, including RAW storage (for an extra fee) for the really important files.

myocyte:
I've been meaning to sign up for this, but Amazon provides a great, affordable solution for cloud storage. If anyone has tried it, I'd be interested to hear about their experience.

http://aws.amazon.com/glacier/

sb:

--- Quote from: neuroanatomist on November 13, 2012, 10:28:52 AM ---
--- Quote from: Iahcon on November 13, 2012, 10:22:34 AM ---I keep two copies on separate external hard drives.

--- End quote ---

As do I, and the two HDDs are stored in different physical locations (home and work).  Those copies are made as soon as the images are processed...

--- End quote ---

Same here with a small difference - I make a copy immediately after dumping the files on the primary computer. Processing is all in LR metadata anyway, and LR catalogues are also included in my backup script.

My backup script is a hand made batch file using the "Robocopy" command line utility.

My back up drives reside on a second computer which is identical with all the same applications installed as the primary. That way if my primary fails, I can continue working uninterrupted.

I don't use any optical media (DVD/Bluray) because they become unreadable after a few years. I also don't use external drives because for the price of a "network storage" I can build myself a fully functional second computer, so what's the point?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version