April 23, 2014, 04:30:13 PM

Author Topic: Does anybody think the 1dx price will come down for the holidays...why?  (Read 13593 times)

Dwight

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
Re: Does anybody think the 1dx price will come down for the holidays...why?
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2012, 12:17:09 AM »
For the record....Adorama took my concern seriously (I sent several close up pics) and I was contacted by a rep.  They offered me the opportunity to send it back free of charge.

So I would have to give Adorama credit for how they handled my concern, and I'll continue to buy from them.

I'm glad to know Adorama is taking care of you.  They're great.  So is B&H.  Really haven't had any serious issues dealing with either of them in the past.

As for me, I'm waiting till tomorrow to give B&H a call and see how to move forward on this.  If I get some downtime this week, might also swing by Canon Irvine.  I'll keep you posted, Northstar.  Do keep me posted as well.  Thanks.

Northstar, sorry but I just need to ask you a quick q.  When you said, "They offered me the opportunity to send it back free of charge.", did you mean Adorama is going to cover shipping both ways of your 1D X replacement (if you decide to take that route) in addition to the shipping charges you had paid for your current 1D X will be credited back as well?  I ask because I opted for overnight shipping on mine and that costed a pretty penny (NY to CA).  I will definitely choose overnight shipping on my replacement (if I decide to take that route).  I'm wondering if I should try and ask to recoup that.  I'm not a hard customer to deal with and don't want to push the envelope in regards to what kind of concessions B&H can, would, and should offer me as remuneration for my "issue".  Thanks in advance, Northstar.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2012, 12:17:09 AM »

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2012, 01:44:13 AM »
For the record....Adorama took my concern seriously (I sent several close up pics) and I was contacted by a rep.  They offered me the opportunity to send it back free of charge.

So I would have to give Adorama credit for how they handled my concern, and I'll continue to buy from them.

So does that mean you are going to return it, get a new box or just forget it assuming they assured you it was indeed new?  (Just curious.)

Rusty...a few posts back I described how I worked the <1000 shutter count strategy to find out my 1dx had never been used.  So for now, I'm happy and it appears everything is fine.(other than having a beat up box for resale someday)

Look closer, it's not a robin.

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4x and 2xiii, 85 1.8, 40 2.8, 300 2.8Lis

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2012, 01:48:45 AM »

I'm glad to know Adorama is taking care of you.  They're great.  So is B&H.  Really haven't had any serious issues dealing with either of them in the past.

As for me, I'm waiting till tomorrow to give B&H a call and see how to move forward on this.  If I get some downtime this week, might also swing by Canon Irvine.  I'll keep you posted, Northstar.  Do keep me posted as well.  Thanks.

Northstar, sorry but I just need to ask you a quick q.  When you said, "They offered me the opportunity to send it back free of charge.", did you mean Adorama is going to cover shipping both ways of your 1D X replacement (if you decide to take that route) in addition to the shipping charges you had paid for your current 1D X will be credited back as well?  I ask because I opted for overnight shipping on mine and that costed a pretty penny (NY to CA).  I will definitely choose overnight shipping on my replacement (if I decide to take that route).  I'm wondering if I should try and ask to recoup that.  I'm not a hard customer to deal with and don't want to push the envelope in regards to what kind of concessions B&H can, would, and should offer me as remuneration for my "issue".  Thanks in advance, Northstar.

Dwight....it appears that it's ground shipping both ways free....I honestly haven't thought about it too much though because the camera seems just fine and I'm keeping it.

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4x and 2xiii, 85 1.8, 40 2.8, 300 2.8Lis

Dwight

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2012, 03:49:52 AM »

Dwight....it appears that it's ground shipping both ways free....I honestly haven't thought about it too much though because the camera seems just fine and I'm keeping it.

Thanks for sharing your experience with Adorama.  I shall see where my fate takes me in terms of dealing with B&H later.  My gut tells me to just look past the plastic bag and look through the lens more!  Man, this whole shutter-counting and deliberately being conservative with actuations is absolutely killing me!  Keep having fun and keep shooting, Northstar!

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2012, 05:37:00 AM »

Thanks for sharing your experience with Adorama.  I shall see where my fate takes me in terms of dealing with B&H later.  My gut tells me to just look past the plastic bag and look through the lens more!  Man, this whole shutter-counting and deliberately being conservative with actuations is absolutely killing me!  Keep having fun and keep shooting, Northstar!

As Mt Spokane wrote, it's against federal law to resell a used camera as new....this put my mind at ease a little more.  Also, with BH's good reputation and the law, I would doubt that its been used....but understand your concern.

I know they have a 200 actuation count policy, but if you do what I did and check the <1000 shutter count every 50 shots up to 990, and then one at a time until 1000, you'll probably find that it changes at 1001 like mine did. 

If it changes before 1000, lets say 850, then you know it's been shot 150 times...your file count will show the 850 but the actuations will change to <2000.   If this happens, you have strong evidence on your side to support your position.

Dwight

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2012, 09:43:19 PM »

As Mt Spokane wrote, it's against federal law to resell a used camera as new....this put my mind at ease a little more.  Also, with BH's good reputation and the law, I would doubt that its been used....but understand your concern.

I know they have a 200 actuation count policy, but if you do what I did and check the <1000 shutter count every 50 shots up to 990, and then one at a time until 1000, you'll probably find that it changes at 1001 like mine did. 

If it changes before 1000, lets say 850, then you know it's been shot 150 times...your file count will show the 850 but the actuations will change to <2000.   If this happens, you have strong evidence on your side to support your position.

Update:

Talked to this very courteous and helpful gentleman (who shall remain unnamed at the moment) from B&H.  Told him about the bag.  He noted the issue on my account.  Asked him if he could ask a supervisor/manager if B&H had prior experiences with this issue.  He said, "None".  Asked about the Fed law, he confirmed that there is indeed a law.  Told me that he made a note that B&H will waive the "less than 200 actuations" policy.  Told me I could/should keep shooting with my camera and if I find any defects and decide to exchange it, B&H will honor the exchange within 30 days.  Told him about how anal I am with packaging, the lingering voice in my head, and that no one should receive a brand new product with an open bag inside.  Asked him if I could still do the exchange even if I don't see/experience any defects just for the fact that a bag inside a brand new DSLR was open (it shouldn't have been).  He said, "yes".  Asked about B&H covering overnight shipping (shipping method I had paid for) both ways (return and shipping of replacement).  He said, "Yes, B&H will cover overnight shipping both ways".  Asked gentleman to send me an email of everything so I would have a transcript of our conversation.  He said he can't do that from his workstation because he was a "phone only" CSR.  I asked him if he could ask a manager to send the email instead.  Manager will email me tomorrow.  Will wait and see if I do get an email tomorrow.  No muss, no fuss conversation.  I'm appeased in the meantime.

Dwight

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2012, 09:45:27 PM »
As Mt Spokane wrote, it's against federal law to resell a used camera as new....

Mt. Spokane, if you don't mind, would you please link an article to the aforementioned law.  I tried searching for it, but came up blank.  Thanks in advance.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2012, 09:45:27 PM »

Dwight

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2012, 10:07:25 PM »

Northstar, I understand your solution and like I've said, it was a good idea for your situation/issue.  In my case, I just wanted to cover all my bases before I talked to B&H.  I didn't want them to hit me with some technicality later on if I keep shooting and find out that before I reach 1000 actuations (per my count), the shutter count on my camera would say ≥1000.  If that happens, eventually, B&H will not go by my word, but what the camera "says".  I do not want them to tell me something like, "Well, you should've contacted us about the issue before you started ramping up your actuations.".  I needed a confirmation from B&H that they would honor an exchange over 200 actuations.  I did get that confirmation so I'm good for now.  Thanks again for the suggestion.

On another note, wasn't able to swing by Canon Irvine today...will do so tomorrow.  Outside of having them check and possibly be able to give me an exact actuation count, I need to go there anyways to have a different issue with another camera addressed.

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2012, 11:53:17 PM »
As Mt Spokane wrote, it's against federal law to resell a used camera as new....

Mt. Spokane, if you don't mind, would you please link an article to the aforementioned law.  I tried searching for it, but came up blank.  Thanks in advance.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6910926_consumer-laws-refurbished-goods.html
Sony wants to sell used items as new though.
http://www.lawpublish.com/new-products.html

Dwight

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2012, 01:40:24 AM »

http://www.ehow.com/list_6910926_consumer-laws-refurbished-goods.html
Sony wants to sell used items as new though.
http://www.lawpublish.com/new-products.html

Deceptive Labelling
The Federal Trade Commission bans deceptive labeling in the sale of any product. This means that returned items cannot be sold as new, and retailers who sell rebuilt or otherwise remanufactured items must label them as such and not sell them as new items. If an item has merely been re-shelved without being used by another consumer, retailers should indicate that.

The quote above is where the gray area is for consumers.  What if the product; in this case, the 1D X (not the packaging of the manuals that came with the product) does not look like it was obviously used (i.e. in pristine condition) and the retailer deems this item can be passed off as new and the consumer really does not have any proof (apart from the open bag) that the product was used?  Who then has the burden of proof; the retailer or the consumer?

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2012, 02:44:39 AM »

Northstar, I understand your solution and like I've said, it was a good idea for your situation/issue.  In my case, I just wanted to cover all my bases before I talked to B&H.  I didn't want them to hit me with some technicality later on if I keep shooting and find out that before I reach 1000 actuations (per my count), the shutter count on my camera would say ≥1000.  If that happens, eventually, B&H will not go by my word, but what the camera "says".  I do not want them to tell me something like, "Well, you should've contacted us about the issue before you started ramping up your actuations.".  I needed a confirmation from B&H that they would honor an exchange over 200 actuations.  I did get that confirmation so I'm good for now.  Thanks again for the suggestion.

On another note, wasn't able to swing by Canon Irvine today...will do so tomorrow.  Outside of having them check and possibly be able to give me an exact actuation count, I need to go there anyways to have a different issue with another camera addressed.

You have a good plan....I notice I was being a bit redundant, my apologies.

You're smart to get an email from B&H to cover yourself.  As I said before, canon should just factory wrap and seal these 1dx's considering their cost.  Retailers digging around in the boxes is unacceptable.   With your "cut open manual package" situation, I think the steps you're taking are prudent. 

On another note, with regard to our similar move from 5d3 to 1dx, what changes in settings seem important and/or "newly beneficial" to you?  Are you using the INtelligent Subject Analysis?  I ask because i seem to remember that it was not the default..I could be wrong though.  This is one feature I will be comparing to the 5d3 when I have time.

Also...did your 1dx come with or without the firmware update?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 02:52:13 AM by Northstar »

Dwight

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2012, 03:55:12 AM »

You have a good plan....I notice I was being a bit redundant, my apologies.

You're smart to get an email from B&H to cover yourself.  As I said before, canon should just factory wrap and seal these 1dx's considering their cost.  Retailers digging around in the boxes is unacceptable.   With your "cut open manual package" situation, I think the steps you're taking are prudent. 

On another note, with regard to our similar move from 5d3 to 1dx, what changes in settings seem important and/or "newly beneficial" to you?  Are you using the INtelligent Subject Analysis?  I ask because i seem to remember that it was not the default..I could be wrong though.  This is one feature I will be comparing to the 5d3 when I have time.

Also...did your 1dx come with or without the firmware update?

Northstar, please, don't apologize.

In regards to factory wrapping (stretch-wrapping) and sealing these DSLR boxes, I unequivocally agree with you.  I would go as far as suggesting for Canon to do it on all their DSLRs, lest they get inundated with complaints/defections from/by our Canon-shooting brethren.  :)  If added cost was/is Canon's issue for not doing this, I would gladly give up all the manuals (I wouldn't have had an "issue" had they done this...see what I did there? ;) ), just to get a stretch-wrapped and sealed box.  No reason for anyone (outside of the last person in Canon's packing line and the photographer/owner) in the supply chain to be tampering with these boxes!

Just to clarify, I'm not really "moving" from the 5DM3 to the 1D X...I'm keeping them both.  I do have a 5DM2 that I'm selling.  I presumed you'd be keeping your 5DM3 as well.  Settings that are important to me (All under "Orange tab - CFn"): 'Spot meter. linked to AF pt' (this, IMHO, is invaluable), 'Restrict shooting modes' (don't use 'P' and 'Bulb'), 'Restrict metering modes' (never use 'Partial metering'), 'Metering used in manual exp' (shoot Manual exposure a lot), 'Set shutter speed range', 'Set aperture range'.  To a lesser extent, 'Restrict drive modes' (will never shoot 14fps...not a sports shooter).

INtelligent Subject Analysis?  Were you referring to 'Auto AF pt sel.:EOS iTR AF' on "Magenta tab - AF"?  If you were, that was one of the first things I turned on; even before I broke out the manual...was just toying around with the menu.  Default setting was off.  I don't really know if that would do anything for me personally, as I've mentioned, I don't shoot sports, but turned it on anyways.  If there's anything counter-productive with that setting turned on in regards to my shooting-style, I would not hesitate to turn it off.  Reading the "sportshooter" article (thanks to you) you linked to last night, Peter Read Miller and his friend Jerry Ward seem to think it isn't a bad idea to turn it on...so I'll leave it on for now.  Still haven't read what the manual has to say about it though.

Firmware that came with mine was 1.0.6.  I believe this was the first firmware released by Canon after the camera was available mainstream...immediate predecessor to 1.1.1 which I've already upgraded to.

As an aside, the truly tangible advantage of the 1D X over the 5DM3 is the build quality.  The buttons and dials feel so much different (way better IMHO)...the "AF-ON" button is perfect/precise/exactly where it needs to be (sorry, just had to drive my point) location for my thumb!  Less smudges on the main LCD due to the deeper eye-relief.  The lock mechanism that engages the CF cards door is a desirable function.  When you hold the 1D X in your hand, it just feels more solid all-around.  I could go on and on, but I refuse to exaggerate.  I still love the 5DM3 for what it is...a remarkable camera in that segment.  For me, cameras are tools...no more, no less.

Sorry for the long-winded reply, everyone.  Just trying my best to be of help to everyone in general and Northstar in particular.  Hope this helps, Northstar...enjoy tinkering and shooting with your cameras!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 04:20:31 AM by Dwight »

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2012, 05:09:02 AM »

In regards to factory wrapping (stretch-wrapping) and sealing these DSLR boxes, I unequivocally agree with you.  I would go as far as suggesting for Canon to do it on all their DSLRs, lest they get inundated with complaints/defections from/by our Canon-shooting brethren.  :)  If added cost was/is Canon's issue for not doing this, I would gladly give up all the manuals (I wouldn't have had an "issue" had they done this...see what I did there? ;) ), just to get a stretch-wrapped and sealed box.  No reason for anyone (outside of the last person in Canon's packing line and the photographer/owner) in the supply chain to be tampering with these boxes!

Just to clarify, I'm not really "moving" from the 5DM3 to the 1D X...I'm keeping them both.  I do have a 5DM2 that I'm selling.  I presumed you'd be keeping your 5DM3 as well.  Settings that are important to me (All under "Orange tab - CFn"): 'Spot meter. linked to AF pt' (this, IMHO, is invaluable), 'Restrict shooting modes' (don't use 'P' and 'Bulb'), 'Restrict metering modes' (never use 'Partial metering'), 'Metering used in manual exp' (shoot Manual exposure a lot), 'Set shutter speed range', 'Set aperture range'.  To a lesser extent, 'Restrict drive modes' (will never shoot 14fps...not a sports shooter).

INtelligent Subject Analysis?  Were you referring to 'Auto AF pt sel.:EOS iTR AF' on "Magenta tab - AF"?  If you were, that was one of the first things I turned on; even before I broke out the manual...was just toying around with the menu.  Default setting was off.  I don't really know if that would do anything for me personally, as I've mentioned, I don't shoot sports, but turned it on anyways.  If there's anything counter-productive with that setting turned on in regards to my shooting-style, I would not hesitate to turn it off.  Reading the "sportshooter" article (thanks to you) you linked to last night, Peter Read Miller and his friend Jerry Ward seem to think it isn't a bad idea to turn it on...so I'll leave it on for now.  Still haven't read what the manual has to say about it though.

Firmware that came with mine was 1.0.6.  I believe this was the first firmware released by Canon after the camera was available mainstream...immediate predecessor to 1.1.1 which I've already upgraded to.

As an aside, the truly tangible advantage of the 1D X over the 5DM3 is the build quality.  The buttons and dials feel so much different (way better IMHO)...the "AF-ON" button is perfect/precise/exactly where it needs to be (sorry, just had to drive my point) location for my thumb!  Less smudges on the main LCD due to the deeper eye-relief.  The lock mechanism that engages the CF cards door is a desirable function.  When you hold the 1D X in your hand, it just feels more solid all-around.  I could go on and on, but I refuse to exaggerate.  I still love the 5DM3 for what it is...a remarkable camera in that segment.  For me, cameras are tools...no more, no less.

Sorry for the long-winded reply, everyone.  Just trying my best to be of help to everyone in general and Northstar in particular.  Hope this helps, Northstar...enjoy tinkering and shooting with your cameras!
[/quote]

Dwight...thanks for the info on your settings, I don't know that I would've tinkered around with the restrict settings, but now I think I'll have to check that out.

Yes, intelligent subject analysis (I read that somewhere) was what I was referring to.  I seem to recall reading that spot meter linked to AF point doesn't work if you select the EOS ITR AF....maybe that is why it is not the default setting?  I could be wrong though...but you might want to check that out.

I found this nice article on the canon Europe site regarding the 1DX.  I like the explanations/descriptions of the settings/features that are provided. 

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/eos_1d_x_explained.do

I'm keeping my 5d3 as well...I can't see myself lugging around a 1dx to kids events, family gatherings...etc.  Also, for field sports it makes good sense to have two bodies to more quickly cover various focal lengths.

I'll be curious to hear the news on your 1dx when you make it to Canon Irvine
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 05:11:25 AM by Northstar »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2012, 05:09:02 AM »

Dwight

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2012, 10:31:49 PM »

Dwight...thanks for the info on your settings, I don't know that I would've tinkered around with the restrict settings, but now I think I'll have to check that out.

Yes, intelligent subject analysis (I read that somewhere) was what I was referring to.  I seem to recall reading that spot meter linked to AF point doesn't work if you select the EOS ITR AF....maybe that is why it is not the default setting?  I could be wrong though...but you might want to check that out.

I found this nice article on the canon Europe site regarding the 1DX.  I like the explanations/descriptions of the settings/features that are provided. 

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/eos_1d_x_explained.do

I'm keeping my 5d3 as well...I can't see myself lugging around a 1dx to kids events, family gatherings...etc.  Also, for field sports it makes good sense to have two bodies to more quickly cover various focal lengths.

I'll be curious to hear the news on your 1dx when you make it to Canon Irvine
[/quote]

Northstar...in regards to 'Restrict shooting modes', 'Restrict metering modes', and 'Restrict drive modes', these settings just make for a faster on-cam workflow IMHO.

I'll look into 'Auto AF pt sel.:EOS iTR AF' further and see if it affects Spot metering linked to AF.  If indeed this is the case, I'll turn the setting off.  Spot metering on linked AF is far more important for me.

Thanks for the link.

In regards to my use, there's not much difference in size and weight between my 5DM3 with a semi-permanently attached (with Loctite on the tripod screw and an L-bracket) BG-E11 and my 1D X.  Truth is, the 1D X feels better in my hand and the weight-factor is a non-issue to me.  I never shoot without a battery grip anyways.  Having said that, I will definitely take my 1D X with me on our next family gathering...if only to show off and show up to my buddy who just got a D800E.  ;)

Still haven't had the chance to go to Canon Irvine...sorry.  I did give them a call and the rep I talked to said the factory service center can give me the exact number of actuations.  I'll keep everyone posted.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 11:06:15 PM by Dwight »

Dwight

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2012, 10:37:58 PM »

Update:

Talked to this very courteous and helpful gentleman (who shall remain unnamed at the moment) from B&H.  Told him about the bag.  He noted the issue on my account.  Asked him if he could ask a supervisor/manager if B&H had prior experiences with this issue.  He said, "None".  Asked about the Fed law, he confirmed that there is indeed a law.  Told me that he made a note that B&H will waive the "less than 200 actuations" policy.  Told me I could/should keep shooting with my camera and if I find any defects and decide to exchange it, B&H will honor the exchange within 30 days.  Told him about how anal I am with packaging, the lingering voice in my head, and that no one should receive a brand new product with an open bag inside.  Asked him if I could still do the exchange even if I don't see/experience any defects just for the fact that a bag inside a brand new DSLR was open (it shouldn't have been).  He said, "yes".  Asked about B&H covering overnight shipping (shipping method I had paid for) both ways (return and shipping of replacement).  He said, "Yes, B&H will cover overnight shipping both ways".  Asked gentleman to send me an email of everything so I would have a transcript of our conversation.  He said he can't do that from his workstation because he was a "phone only" CSR.  I asked him if he could ask a manager to send the email instead.  Manager will email me tomorrow.  Will wait and see if I do get an email tomorrow.  No muss, no fuss conversation.  I'm appeased in the meantime.

Update 2:
Got the email from B&H.  Essentially states that I will be allowed to exchange my 1D X within 30 days even if it has over 200 actuations.  Also states that B&H will cover shipping both ways via overnight delivery.  Thank you to the phone rep I spoke to...Adrian x.4616 and to James F. for sorting out this "issue".  Color me happy.  Now I can finally shoot in peace!  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2012, 10:37:58 PM »