August 28, 2014, 09:11:09 AM

Author Topic: Does anybody think the 1dx price will come down for the holidays...why?  (Read 16170 times)

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
Re: Does anybody think the 1dx price will come down for the holidays...why?
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2012, 11:29:23 AM »
Can't wait to hear you got a great deal.  Wish you were local, I'd buy you a beer.  Have a good day.

Rusty...

I haggled with three of them(online retailers) over the phone but the best deal I could get was a couple 16GB CF SNDisk Extreme pro's. 

I'd take you up on that beer...I'm a fellow geek.

That sounds pretty decent to me!  12 fps is going to have to go somewhere very quickly.  Since your 5D3 seems to work well, let me know when you sell it.   ;)

BTW, where does 'Northstar' come from?  Because FSR I can't get Spaceballs' Bill Pullman out of my head every time I read it!   Please tell me you resemble Bill Pullman!  Ha, ha!   ;D
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 11:33:10 AM by RustyTheGeek »
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2012, 11:29:23 AM »

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2012, 12:17:12 PM »
I think the price of the 5D mkiii was pushed down quicker than it might have been if the D800 did not exist for $500 less (originally anyway) and the high megapixel sensor.  The 1dx does not have as clearcut of a rival from Nikon, so I think the price will stay for a while..
5DIII | 85mm f1.2L • 70-200mm f2.8L IS II • 50mm f1.8 II

dolina

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2012, 12:55:16 PM »
The 1D4 never went below $5,000 on BH through the life of the product.
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

jcns

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2012, 01:32:09 PM »
Like asking if you can afford the monthly payments on Porsche 911.
or
if you have to ask, you can't afford it

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2012, 08:16:41 PM »
Can't wait to hear you got a great deal.  Wish you were local, I'd buy you a beer.  Have a good day.

Rusty...

I haggled with three of them(online retailers) over the phone but the best deal I could get was a couple 16GB CF SNDisk Extreme pro's. 

I'd take you up on that beer...I'm a fellow geek.

That sounds pretty decent to me!  12 fps is going to have to go somewhere very quickly.  Since your 5D3 seems to work well, let me know when you sell it.   ;)

BTW, where does 'Northstar' come from?  Because FSR I can't get Spaceballs' Bill Pullman out of my head every time I read it!   Please tell me you resemble Bill Pullman!  Ha, ha!   ;D

Rusty...."Northstar"...did you ever follow a NHL hockey?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:54:23 PM by Northstar »
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
or

Jcns...such an inaccurate post....you must be young and/or lack the wisdom to know that often times the wealthiest people MAKE SURE they know all about the price.  Read the book "millionaire next door" and you'll understand what i mean.

I've read it.  Now I see why we think alike.  Make that two beers I'll buy you.  But after that it's your turn!

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2012, 02:47:23 PM »
or

Jcns...such an inaccurate post....you must be young and/or lack the wisdom to know that often times the wealthiest people MAKE SURE they know all about the price.  Read the book "millionaire next door" and you'll understand what i mean.

I've read it.  Now I see why we think alike.  Make that two beers I'll buy you.  But after that it's your turn!

funny..when we get to six beers just send me a six pack  ;D

i hope your next 5d3 performs as good as mine does.  i've never sent anything back that i've bought online, how has that gone?  do they wait to send the new one until after they receive the returned camera? 

Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2012, 02:47:23 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2012, 02:58:39 PM »

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
The thing about the Holidays and December(in the USA) is this....people are in the buying mood/mode for large ticket items.  Canon (and retailers) know these well documented buying behaviors/attitudes.  A price drop for the 1dx and 5d3 would totally make sense IMO. 

Also...December is that month where a business owner or manager might have a little extra money in the budget that can (or must) be spent before year end..."spend it or lose it" happens in business...very common.
You can sometimes negotiate by calling a large dealer (No e-mail, they will not put discounts in writing).  Try calling a few who have them in stock.

Mt Spokane...your advice was worth two Sandisk 90mbs 16 gb CF cards....thanks.
Did you check the link I posted??
Now there are 4 dealers that have dropped their price by a few hundred.  Down to $6348 or $6445 from PMI, a authorized dealer.  Did you call PMI??

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/product/03792/Canon-EOS-1D-X-price.html

I only felt comfortable at this price level dealing with the most respected online retailers like Ad, BH..etc.  I didn't check PMI.

I appreciate your post though because I wasn't aware of the canonpricewatch website...now i have it saved.
Sport Shooter

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2012, 03:21:42 PM »
or

i hope your next 5d3 performs as good as mine does.  i've never sent anything back that i've bought online, how has that gone?  do they wait to send the new one until after they receive the returned camera?

I got it through eBay on one of those steal deals from Beach Camera.  I've never purchased from Beach before but when I called them directly, their phone rep was extremely helpful, no BS and sent a RMA and FedEx barcode to my email while we spoke.  I sent it back that Monday, it arrived there today and he said he would try to get the replacement sent back out to me same day.  I had the option of buying another on on Monday and getting a refund when they received the defective one on return but since I paid such a good price, he couldn't do the refund without me losing the difference.  So it is just a straight exchange.  So I'm halfway through this but so far, they have been as good with it as you could hope/expect.  My fingers are still crossed.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2012, 04:40:37 PM »
Looking to buy a 1dx but wondering about a price drop for the holidays.  Does anybody remember from past experience how long after release the 1 series bodies price declined?

I doubt it. It's not exactly a stocking stuffer!

If it comes down at some point it will because they are under pressure and nothing to do with holidays.
A Rebel, perhaps holidays might come into play.

dolina

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2012, 04:47:44 PM »

The chart is suspect. It states the price is between 4600-4700 until today and yet shops like BH and Adorama do not have it on stock.

Either way the price of the 1D4 dipped nearing EOL. The 1D X started to ship in June this year. Give it 2 or so more years before Canon decides to slash the price by 7%.

Remember guys the 1-Series bodies has always made up around 1% of all EOS body manufactured monthly.
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2012, 05:17:49 PM »
or

I got it through eBay on one of those steal deals from Beach Camera.  I've never purchased from Beach before but when I called them directly, their phone rep was extremely helpful, no BS and sent a RMA and FedEx barcode to my email while we spoke.  I sent it back that Monday, it arrived there today and he said he would try to get the replacement sent back out to me same day.  I had the option of buying another on on Monday and getting a refund when they received the defective one on return but since I paid such a good price, he couldn't do the refund without me losing the difference.  So it is just a straight exchange.  So I'm halfway through this but so far, they have been as good with it as you could hope/expect.  My fingers are still crossed.

One more tick of hope:  Tech rep from Beach called me personally to let me know the replacement 5D3 has been carefully packed and sent out via FedEx today (same day) so I should receive it by Mon or Tues.  Top notch service if you ask me.  Fingers still crossed!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2012, 05:17:49 PM »

dave

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2012, 07:09:41 PM »
Looking to buy a 1dx but wondering about a price drop for the holidays.  Does anybody remember from past experience how long after release the 1 series bodies price declined?

Seriously, if you're considering the 1D-X as a purchase then I don't think money should be an issue. It's a pro camera for a pro user. It should paid for itself within the first few gigs. And no. I don't think Canon's flagship camera will be dropping in price over the holidays anytime soon.

Seriously, that is garbage.  >:(

I don't make money off my photography but will buy a 1Dx when I holiday in the US (cheaper than Australia - oh the shame) because of the subjects I like to photograph and how good the camera is. However, simply paying whatever the asking price is without considering it...no, that is ludicrous.

Suppose you do actually have a budget:

Based on fairly commonly had prices...

5D3 at $2800
200 f/2 at 5999

Total $8800

1Dx at 6700
70-200mm f/2,8 ii $2100

Total $8800

For $8800 the first combination would slaughter the second for certain uses and vice versa. You buy gear that meets your needs. I am sorry if I am not a pro, but I actually try to buy things that will help improve MY photos the most.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 07:16:49 PM by dave »

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2012, 07:46:16 PM »
need some help from some of you more experienced camera and lens buyers.  I rcvd my 1dx today, and the actual 1dx box has several scratches and marks all over it, and a slightly crushed in corner.  (not the shipping box, the 1dx  box inside has the scratches/marks)

for $6700, i expected the box to look like it's hardly been touched, this box looks like it's been touched quite a bit....I'm anal this way, because I know I'll sell it in 3-4 years and I want the box to look new.

also...the 1dx box came inside a plastic bag.  This plastic bag was clearly opened and then taped shut.  I'm wondering if the 1dx normally ships with the plastic bag unopened so the customer knows that it indeed is brand new and unopened.  I would've felt much better about the box being a little dinged up if this internal plastic bag had been unopened...but with it open, it makes me think that the body has been in and out of the box a few times, or the real concern - it's been bought and returned from some previous buyer.   i do not want this body if someone else had it and returned it....not at this price.

the camera itself looks perfect (I haven't used it yet) but the other question I have is how can I tell if it's been used?  Is there an actuations counter in the camera?

again...i know i'm being a bit anal on this, but for $6700, i don't want to settle, and I want the full value for my money....and I don't want to have any lingering reservations.

I'd really appreciate your candid thoughts on this....am I making too big a deal about this?

neuro...especially appreciate your thoughts on this.
Sport Shooter

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2012, 07:46:16 PM »