October 31, 2014, 07:03:06 PM

Author Topic: Does anybody think the 1dx price will come down for the holidays...why?  (Read 17530 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Does anybody think the 1dx price will come down for the holidays...why?
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2012, 08:28:38 PM »
need some help from some of you more experienced camera and lens buyers.  I rcvd my 1dx today, and the actual 1dx box has several scratches and marks all over it, and a slightly crushed in corner.  (not the shipping box, the 1dx  box inside has the scratches/marks)

for $6700, i expected the box to look like it's hardly been touched, this box looks like it's been touched quite a bit....I'm anal this way, because I know I'll sell it in 3-4 years and I want the box to look new.

also...the 1dx box came inside a plastic bag.  This plastic bag was clearly opened and then taped shut.  I'm wondering if the 1dx normally ships with the plastic bag unopened so the customer knows that it indeed is brand new and unopened.  I would've felt much better about the box being a little dinged up if this internal plastic bag had been unopened...but with it open, it makes me think that the body has been in and out of the box a few times, or the real concern - it's been bought and returned from some previous buyer.   i do not want this body if someone else had it and returned it....not at this price.

the camera itself looks perfect (I haven't used it yet) but the other question I have is how can I tell if it's been used?  Is there an actuations counter in the camera?

again...i know i'm being a bit anal on this, but for $6700, i don't want to settle, and I want the full value for my money....and I don't want to have any lingering reservations.

I'd really appreciate your candid thoughts on this....am I making too big a deal about this?

neuro...especially appreciate your thoughts on this.

My box was pristine.  The camera itself was in a form-fitting white anti-static bag, which was in turn inside a bubble-wrap bag that was neatly folded-over (I don't recall any tape, but I might be wrong - I did save a long piece of orange-ish tape, but I don't recall that that was on the camera bag, it's 1" wide and 6" long).  The double-bagged body was inside a separate cardboard box inside the main box (bad iPhone pic attached).

There is an actuation counter, but it's in units of 1000, so it will just say <1000 unless it's over that mark. 

If the box was dinged up and everything was not wrapped neatly inside, I'd be concerned that I got a unit someone else bought and returned.  I've had something similar happen with an Amazon purchase (not camera gear) and I returned it.  I've never received an obvious returned item from B&H or Adorama.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 08:31:19 PM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2012, 08:28:38 PM »

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2012, 09:28:31 PM »
need some help from some of you more experienced camera and lens buyers.  I rcvd my 1dx today, and the actual 1dx box has several scratches and marks all over it, and a slightly crushed in corner.  (not the shipping box, the 1dx  box inside has the scratches/marks)

for $6700, i expected the box to look like it's hardly been touched, this box looks like it's been touched quite a bit....I'm anal this way, because I know I'll sell it in 3-4 years and I want the box to look new.

also...the 1dx box came inside a plastic bag.  This plastic bag was clearly opened and then taped shut.  I'm wondering if the 1dx normally ships with the plastic bag unopened so the customer knows that it indeed is brand new and unopened.  I would've felt much better about the box being a little dinged up if this internal plastic bag had been unopened...but with it open, it makes me think that the body has been in and out of the box a few times, or the real concern - it's been bought and returned from some previous buyer.   i do not want this body if someone else had it and returned it....not at this price.

the camera itself looks perfect (I haven't used it yet) but the other question I have is how can I tell if it's been used?  Is there an actuations counter in the camera?

again...i know i'm being a bit anal on this, but for $6700, i don't want to settle, and I want the full value for my money....and I don't want to have any lingering reservations.

I'd really appreciate your candid thoughts on this....am I making too big a deal about this?

My box was pristine.  The camera itself was in a form-fitting white anti-static bag, which was in turn inside a bubble-wrap bag that was neatly folded-over (I don't recall any tape, but I might be wrong - I did save a long piece of orange-ish tape, but I don't recall that that was on the camera bag, it's 1" wide and 6" long).  The double-bagged body was inside a separate cardboard box inside the main box (bad iPhone pic attached).

There is an actuation counter, but it's in units of 1000, so it will just say <1000 unless it's over that mark. 

If the box was dinged up and everything was not wrapped neatly inside, I'd be concerned that I got a unit someone else bought and returned.  I've had something similar happen with an Amazon purchase (not camera gear) and I returned it.  I've never received an obvious returned item from B&H or Adorama.

neuro...it was from adoram.  the box is definitely "marked up" with one crushed corner.  everything inside the box looks perfect...BUT...the 1dx box itself came inside a clear plastic bag that looked like it was sealed at one time, sealed in a way that a buyer would know that the box itself was never touched or opened because of the sealed clear bag.  in my case, the bag was opened...do you remember such a bag?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 09:45:51 PM by Northstar »
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2012, 09:49:10 PM »
No, I don't. Was there the white dust sack?  I've bought 4 Canon bodies, all of them were in such a bag.  Out from that white bag was the bubble wrap bag then the cardboard inner box.  I don't recall a larger plastic bag, and there's not one in the packaging that I saved (cords, strap, and manuals were in sealed plastic bags - still are, actually).

bkorcel

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2012, 09:52:36 PM »
Adorama usually packs their equipment in a plastic bag to make sure it is protected somewhat against water damage.  You would freak out if you saw how these get shipped to distributors from Canon.  I would think the 1DX being in limited distribution probably is not shipped in a case carton.  They pack them with other canon stuff in a brown box and send it on it's way.

If you really wanted a pristine box, I bet you could call Canon and arrange to have one shipped to you.  I don't believe there are any proprietary secrets there.

neuro...it was from adoram.  the box is definitely "marked up" with one crushed corner.  everything inside the box looks perfect...BUT...the 1dx box itself came inside a clear plastic bag that looked like it was sealed at one time, sealed in a way that a buyer would know that the box itself was never touched or opened because of the sealed clear bag.  in my case, the bag was opened...do you remember such a bag?

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2012, 09:59:02 PM »
No, I don't. Was there the white dust sack?  I've bought 4 Canon bodies, all of them were in such a bag.  Out from that white bag was the bubble wrap bag then the cardboard inner box.  I don't recall a larger plastic bag, and there's not one in the packaging that I saved (cords, strap, and manuals were in sealed plastic bags - still are, actually).

yes...what you describe is there (bubble wrap and white dust sack)  thanks for your quick response and help.
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2012, 10:00:54 PM »
Adorama usually packs their equipment in a plastic bag to make sure it is protected somewhat against water damage.  You would freak out if you saw how these get shipped to distributors from Canon.  I would think the 1DX being in limited distribution probably is not shipped in a case carton.  They pack them with other canon stuff in a brown box and send it on it's way.

If you really wanted a pristine box, I bet you could call Canon and arrange to have one shipped to you.  I don't believe there are any proprietary secrets there.

bkor....case carton...please explain
Sport Shooter

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2012, 10:17:54 PM »
the 1dx box itself came inside a clear plastic bag that looked like it was sealed at one time, sealed in a way that a buyer would know that the box itself was never touched or opened because of the sealed clear bag.  in my case, the bag was opened...do you remember such a bag?

Sorry, I misunderstood.  You're saying that the large, main carton (black with the 1D X logo on it) was in a larger plastic bag?  No, mine definitely was not (ordered from B&H).  None of my bodies have been (from Amazon or B&H).  Sounds like an Adorama thing, as bkorcel suggests. 

It's not a bad idea - if it's actually raining, when UPS delivers to my home they'll usually put the shipping box in a plastic bag when they leave, but if it's not raining, they won't - and maybe it'll start raining later.  (Note - I always have my camera gear delivered to work, where there's an indoor loading dock and always someone to sign.)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2012, 10:17:54 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2012, 10:49:42 PM »
I put boxes like that inside a bag during cold and rainy weather.  you never know if a package will get wet.  However, Canon does not ship them in a bag, they are sent in cases of about 6.

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2012, 04:20:03 AM »
I put boxes like that inside a bag during cold and rainy weather.  you never know if a package will get wet.  However, Canon does not ship them in a bag, they are sent in cases of about 6.

It's good to know about the bag.  That's one less thing to worry about. 

Mt, sounds like you're in the business of selling cameras?  If so, what are your thoughts on a marked up and scratched box with one crushed in corner as I described above?

Again, my main concern is just that the condition of the box makes it appear that it's been handled quite a bit, which makes me believe the camera could have been used and returned.  Adorama has a no questions asked return policy so I'm sure they get plenty of cameras returned...and I'm assuming they just sell them again as "new", as long as everything has been carefully placed back in the box to make it appear new.

Also, after google searching, it doesn't appear that there's any way to accurately determine the shutter count of the camera ....anybody know?

« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 04:52:48 AM by Northstar »
Sport Shooter

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2012, 06:37:06 AM »
Also, after google searching, it doesn't appear that there's any way to accurately determine the shutter count of the camera ....anybody know?

I highly recommend Reikan FoCal for doing AFMA.  But as a side benefit, it shows the shutter count.

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2012, 10:55:12 AM »

I highly recommend Reikan FoCal for doing AFMA.  But as a side benefit, it shows the shutter count.

Thanks Neuro...good to know.
Sport Shooter

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »

It's good to know about the bag.  That's one less thing to worry about. 

Mt, sounds like you're in the business of selling cameras?  If so, what are your thoughts on a marked up and scratched box with one crushed in corner as I described above?

Again, my main concern is just that the condition of the box makes it appear that it's been handled quite a bit, which makes me believe the camera could have been used and returned.  Adorama has a no questions asked return policy so I'm sure they get plenty of cameras returned...and I'm assuming they just sell them again as "new", as long as everything has been carefully placed back in the box to make it appear new.

I have a online store, and ship lots of electronics, but I only sell my own used cameras. I put things in plastic bags whenever water is a danger.
Boxes get marked, scratched, and crushed in shipping.  Their job is to protect the camera inside.  I would not worry about that, it happens.
B&H asks you to return all the parts and pieces in their original box.  They do not ask you to make it look unused, since it goes back to canon to be refurbished.  Federal law prohibits selling a used camera as new.
A 1DX can display the actual shutter count.  See pg 385 of your manual.
System Status Display Function Provides Critical Information
For optimal camera maintenance, The EOS-1D X's new System Status Display Function offers pertinent information about the camera's use and condition. In addition to displaying the camera's serial number and firmware version, the System Status Monitor also displays the total number of shutter release cycles (in thousands), a camera error log, which lists errors that may warrant service

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2012, 01:43:45 PM »
For optimal camera maintenance, The EOS-1D X's new System Status Display Function offers pertinent information about the camera's use and condition. In addition to displaying the camera's serial number and firmware version, the System Status Monitor also displays the total number of shutter release cycles (in thousands), a camera error log, which lists errors that may warrant service

Since the display is in thousands, that will only help the OP if the camera was previously used to take 1000 shots or more.  If it's taken zero shots or 999 shots, it will display ≤1000.  Right now, mine says ≤ 10000.  It's not very granular, but then, given the expected life of 400K release cycles, it probably doesn't need to be very granular.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2012, 01:43:45 PM »

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2012, 02:21:06 PM »

Since the display is in thousands, that will only help the OP if the camera was previously used to take 1000 shots or more.  If it's taken zero shots or 999 shots, it will display ≤1000.  Right now, mine says ≤ 10000.  It's not very granular, but then, given th expected life of 400K release cycles, it probably doesn't need to be very granular.

Ultimately, my main concern is that somebody else used it a little while and then returned it.  I suppose i could take 50 actuations at a time up to 1000 and watch the <1000 counter and hope it doesnt change until i get to 1000.

If i do this then ill know for sure its never been used.  Mtspokane, its good to know about the fed law....and also your perspective on boxes etc.  Thx
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 02:24:13 PM by Northstar »
Sport Shooter

Dwight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2012, 11:08:35 PM »
Hello everyone!  Been lurking on this wonderful forum for several months now.  I should say I've learned so many things  from a lot of the members...especially the senior (don't mean the age  :) ) members.

I realize the topic of this thread and I apologize in advance to the OP and to everyone for jumping in on this thread.  Didn't wanna create another thread.  The discussion veered off from any possible discounts on the 1D X for the holidays to the OP getting his/her camera that to his/her eyes "looks perfect" but have "lingering reservations" due to the condition of the 1D X box.

To the OP, you and I ordered almost the same time.  Ordered from B&H Wed. night and got my new toy today.  Cutting to the chase, first, the shipping box (brown box that B&H packed my 1D X in) was undamaged and bone dry (been raining intermittently in SoCal).  Next, my black 1D X box, like the OP observed on his, had a few scratches and marks all around it and a slightly dented outer bottom corner.  Personally, I wasn't really concerned with all this, although just like any other adult buying an expensive new toy, believe me, I'm anal about the packaging as well.  The thing that I'm most concerned about (I know, I finally get to the cusp of my dilemma huh  ;D ) is that the plastic packaging of the manuals [i.e. Instruction Manual (English/Spanish), LAN Instruction Manual (English/Spanish), Pocket Guides) was open.  Mind you, it was not ripped...it was neatly cut open on one of its long side (the plastic packaging is rectangular looking from the top).  Everything else in the box, including the box/compartment for the camera was neat and intact and as far as I could tell the camera and its accessories were all untouched.  Knowing that actuation counter couldn't give a more precise number, here's what I thought.  I thought maybe Canon or B&H opened the box and cut the Instruction Manuals' packaging open to replace the manuals with the updated manual (CPH-E011-002) after the 1.1.1 firmware update.  Sadly, I have the old manual (CPH-E011-001).  Had I received the new manual, my dilemma would have been put to rest right there and then.  Now, may I ask everyone's opinion on this and how you personally would deal with this situation...if this had happened to your camera, would you exchange it?  Would you take it to Canon (Irvine's a 45 min. drive from my place) to have them get the exact actuation count on my camera (if this is even possible)?  Or are you just gonna live with it thinking that the plastic packaging might have been "ripped" in transit through the supply chain?

I apologize again for a very long-winded first post.  If you have read this far, I truly appreciate your time and patience.  Thank you in advance for your thoughts on this.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2012, 11:08:35 PM »