October 31, 2014, 04:57:13 PM

Author Topic: Does anybody think the 1dx price will come down for the holidays...why?  (Read 17529 times)

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Does anybody think the 1dx price will come down for the holidays...why?
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2012, 08:11:47 AM »
Hello everyone!  Been lurking on this wonderful forum for several months now.  I should say I've learned so many things  from a lot of the members...especially the senior (don't mean the age  :) ) members.

I realize the topic of this thread and I apologize in advance to the OP and to everyone for jumping in on this thread.  Didn't wanna create another thread.  The discussion veered off from any possible discounts on the 1D X for the holidays to the OP getting his/her camera that to his/her eyes "looks perfect" but have "lingering reservations" due to the condition of the 1D X box.

To the OP, you and I ordered almost the same time.  Ordered from B&H Wed. night and got my new toy today.  Cutting to the chase, first, the shipping box (brown box that B&H packed my 1D X in) was undamaged and bone dry (been raining intermittently in SoCal).  Next, my black 1D X box, like the OP observed on his, had a few scratches and marks all around it and a slightly dented outer bottom corner.  Personally, I wasn't really concerned with all this, although just like any other adult buying an expensive new toy, believe me, I'm anal about the packaging as well.  The thing that I'm most concerned about (I know, I finally get to the cusp of my dilemma huh  ;D ) is that the plastic packaging of the manuals [i.e. Instruction Manual (English/Spanish), LAN Instruction Manual (English/Spanish), Pocket Guides) was open.  Mind you, it was not ripped...it was neatly cut open on one of its long side (the plastic packaging is rectangular looking from the top).  Everything else in the box, including the box/compartment for the camera was neat and intact and as far as I could tell the camera and its accessories were all untouched.  Knowing that actuation counter couldn't give a more precise number, here's what I thought.  I thought maybe Canon or B&H opened the box and cut the Instruction Manuals' packaging open to replace the manuals with the updated manual (CPH-E011-002) after the 1.1.1 firmware update.  Sadly, I have the old manual (CPH-E011-001).  Had I received the new manual, my dilemma would have been put to rest right there and then.  Now, may I ask everyone's opinion on this and how you personally would deal with this situation...if this had happened to your camera, would you exchange it?  Would you take it to Canon (Irvine's a 45 min. drive from my place) to have them get the exact actuation count on my camera (if this is even possible)?  Or are you just gonna live with it thinking that the plastic packaging might have been "ripped" in transit through the supply chain?

I apologize again for a very long-winded first post.  If you have read this far, I truly appreciate your time and patience.  Thank you in advance for your thoughts on this.

dwight...as you've read, I know exactly how you feel.  with a lens of this price, the box should come sealed in a high strength plastic bag that has some sort of "canon seal" on the bag that indicates that it was factory wrapped and sealed....so guys like us (and I'm sure there are many others) would know that they are getting a factory sealed and wrapped 1DX that has never played "played with" by a store employee or another customer.    For their "pro line flagship" camera at this price, this is just the way it should be.

I'm going to continue with my check the actuations count strategy every 50 shots up to the <1000 counter on the 1DX ....and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that when I get to 800, 900, and especially 999, that it still says less <1000.   

For your plastic bag situation.. I share your concern.  I guess I would inspect the camera very carefully under bright lights to look for anything suspicious....and then maybe follow a similar strategy as me.  it's either that or return it...and like I said, I wouldn't blame you for returning it. 
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2012, 08:11:47 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2012, 09:42:03 AM »
...with a lens of this price, the box should come sealed in a high strength plastic bag that has some sort of "canon seal" on the bag that indicates that it was factory wrapped and sealed....

You just have to spend more...my 600 II came in factory-sealed packaging.  ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Dwight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2012, 07:42:22 PM »
Hello everyone!  Been lurking on this wonderful forum for several months now.  I should say I've learned so many things  from a lot of the members...especially the senior (don't mean the age  :) ) members.

I realize the topic of this thread and I apologize in advance to the OP and to everyone for jumping in on this thread.  Didn't wanna create another thread.  The discussion veered off from any possible discounts on the 1D X for the holidays to the OP getting his/her camera that to his/her eyes "looks perfect" but have "lingering reservations" due to the condition of the 1D X box.

To the OP, you and I ordered almost the same time.  Ordered from B&H Wed. night and got my new toy today.  Cutting to the chase, first, the shipping box (brown box that B&H packed my 1D X in) was undamaged and bone dry (been raining intermittently in SoCal).  Next, my black 1D X box, like the OP observed on his, had a few scratches and marks all around it and a slightly dented outer bottom corner.  Personally, I wasn't really concerned with all this, although just like any other adult buying an expensive new toy, believe me, I'm anal about the packaging as well.  The thing that I'm most concerned about (I know, I finally get to the cusp of my dilemma huh  ;D ) is that the plastic packaging of the manuals [i.e. Instruction Manual (English/Spanish), LAN Instruction Manual (English/Spanish), Pocket Guides) was open.  Mind you, it was not ripped...it was neatly cut open on one of its long side (the plastic packaging is rectangular looking from the top).  Everything else in the box, including the box/compartment for the camera was neat and intact and as far as I could tell the camera and its accessories were all untouched.  Knowing that actuation counter couldn't give a more precise number, here's what I thought.  I thought maybe Canon or B&H opened the box and cut the Instruction Manuals' packaging open to replace the manuals with the updated manual (CPH-E011-002) after the 1.1.1 firmware update.  Sadly, I have the old manual (CPH-E011-001).  Had I received the new manual, my dilemma would have been put to rest right there and then.  Now, may I ask everyone's opinion on this and how you personally would deal with this situation...if this had happened to your camera, would you exchange it?  Would you take it to Canon (Irvine's a 45 min. drive from my place) to have them get the exact actuation count on my camera (if this is even possible)?  Or are you just gonna live with it thinking that the plastic packaging might have been "ripped" in transit through the supply chain?

I apologize again for a very long-winded first post.  If you have read this far, I truly appreciate your time and patience.  Thank you in advance for your thoughts on this.

dwight...as you've read, I know exactly how you feel.  with a lens of this price, the box should come sealed in a high strength plastic bag that has some sort of "canon seal" on the bag that indicates that it was factory wrapped and sealed....so guys like us (and I'm sure there are many others) would know that they are getting a factory sealed and wrapped 1DX that has never played "played with" by a store employee or another customer.    For their "pro line flagship" camera at this price, this is just the way it should be.

I'm going to continue with my check the actuations count strategy every 50 shots up to the <1000 counter on the 1DX ....and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that when I get to 800, 900, and especially 999, that it still says less <1000.   

For your plastic bag situation.. I share your concern.  I guess I would inspect the camera very carefully under bright lights to look for anything suspicious....and then maybe follow a similar strategy as me.  it's either that or return it...and like I said, I wouldn't blame you for returning it.

Thanks for your reply and insight, Northstar.  Were you witholding information from us?  :o Did you leave out the part where you bought a new flaghip lens with your flagship body?  ;)

Totally agree...on a flagship body, the box should be stretch wrapped.  Having said that, none of my DSLR bodies' boxes (the 1D X is my first 1-Series body) have ever been sealed nor wrapped .  The only ones that are sealed (not by Canon, but by the retailer), IIRC, were PnS cams bought from Fry's and Best Buy (no idea if they're still doing this).

I think your actuations count strategy is a good plan.  In my case, I can't do that without going over B&H exchange policy of 200 actuations.  For me, like I've said, Canon Irvine is about a 45min. drive away.  I'm gonna give them a call on Monday and see if they can get help me get the exact actuation count.  Anyone have previous experiences with this type of service from Canon Irvine, feel free to chime in.

I did inspect everything.  I started to get very curious once I saw the open plastic packaging on the manuals.  The anal side of me kicked in.  In my case, when I opened the lid on the 1D X black box, the first item was the reg. card, then the CDs, then the manuals...all in the top compartment.  Once I popped those and the cardboard out, there was the camera box and to my right was a space/slot for the neckstrap (in its own bag), eyepiece and cable protector (in their own bag).  I guess I should've done an unboxing vid.  Though I know you all are gonna be so thrilled about it!  ;D  Everything from there on out was pristine.  No fingerprints.  No dust on the LCDs and eyepiece.  No unraveled cables.  Not even a misaligned anti-static bag flap nor a bubble wrap flap...did I tell you I was anal?!  :P  Once I took out the 1D X compartment, I got to the A/V cables, battery, and charger.  Everything was totally in check yet again.  I would appreciate it if others would chime in on their experiences and thoughts on this.

Just to add something to what Neuro had said, in regards to the 1" x 6" yellow tape, on mine, it was on the battery charger (to hold the battery slot covers in place).  Also, adding to what a couple of people have already mentioned in regards to the plastic bag used to protect against water and moisture, I can confirm that Adorama does this.  Those bags are never sealed...they're just regular commercial-grade plastics bags.  I do not recall having received any products from B&H in the past that had this plastic bag.  Hope that helps.

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2012, 08:38:11 PM »

Thanks for your reply and insight, Northstar.  Were you witholding information from us?  :o Did you leave out the part where you bought a new flaghip lens with your flagship body?  ;)

Totally agree...on a flagship body, the box should be stretch wrapped.  Having said that, none of my DSLR bodies' boxes (the 1D X is my first 1-Series body) have ever been sealed nor wrapped .  The only ones that are sealed (not by Canon, but by the retailer), IIRC, were PnS cams bought from Fry's and Best Buy (no idea if they're still doing this).

I think your actuations count strategy is a good plan.  In my case, I can't do that without going over B&H exchange policy of 200 actuations.  For me, like I've said, Canon Irvine is about a 45min. drive away.  I'm gonna give them a call on Monday and see if they can get help me get the exact actuation count.  Anyone have previous experiences with this type of service from Canon Irvine, feel free to chime in.

I did inspect everything.  I started to get very curious once I saw the open plastic packaging on the manuals.  The anal side of me kicked in.  In my case, when I opened the lid on the 1D X black box, the first item was the reg. card, then the CDs, then the manuals...all in the top compartment.  Once I popped those and the cardboard out, there was the camera box and to my right was a space/slot for the neckstrap (in its own bag), eyepiece and cable protector (in their own bag).  I guess I should've done an unboxing vid.  Though I know you all are gonna be so thrilled about it!  ;D  Everything from there on out was pristine.  No fingerprints.  No dust on the LCDs and eyepiece.  No unraveled cables.  Not even a misaligned anti-static bag flap nor a bubble wrap flap...did I tell you I was anal?!  :P  Once I took out the 1D X compartment, I got to the A/V cables, battery, and charger.  Everything was totally in check yet again.  I would appreciate it if others would chime in on their experiences and thoughts on this.

Just to add something to what Neuro had said, in regards to the 1" x 6" yellow tape, on mine, it was on the battery charger (to hold the battery slot covers in place).  Also, adding to what a couple of people have already mentioned in regards to the plastic bag used
 to protect against water and moisture, I can confirm that Adorama does this.  Those bags are never sealed...they're just regular commercial-grade plastics bags.  I do not recall having received any products from B&H in the past that had this plastic bag.  Hope that helps.

Dwight...your description of how it was packaged was exactly the same as mine
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

Dwight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2012, 10:13:53 PM »

Just to add something to what Neuro had said, in regards to the 1" x 6" yellow tape, on mine, it was on the battery charger (to hold the battery slot covers in place).  Also, adding to what a couple of people have already mentioned in regards to the plastic bag used
 to protect against water and moisture, I can confirm that Adorama does this.  Those bags are never sealed...they're just regular commercial-grade plastics bags.  I do not recall having received any products from B&H in the past that had this plastic bag.  Hope that helps.

Dwight...your description of how it was packaged was exactly the same as mine

Northstar, that's great!  Good to know!  I'm really trying to be conservative with my actuations (it's killing me) so I don't go over B&H's exchange/return policy of "less than 200 exposures".  Won't be able to report my "issue" to B&H till Mon.  Love the camera!  Now I totally grasp what a 1D body is all about.  I'm still torn whether or not this "issue" is something to lose sleep over and do all the tedious legwork (consequently missing out on the chance to put it through its paces in the interim) or to get past the "issue" and just enjoy this great piece of engineering for what it is and for what it has to offer everyone who has had the privilege to shoot with a 1D X.

Notwithstanding your "issue", how are you liking yours so far, Northstar?  Perhaps it's now a good time to start a separate thread for those that just got theirs?  :)

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2012, 10:58:57 PM »

Just to add something to what Neuro had said, in regards to the 1" x 6" yellow tape, on mine, it was on the battery charger (to hold the battery slot covers in place).  Also, adding to what a couple of people have already mentioned in regards to the plastic bag used to protect against water and moisture, I can confirm that Adorama does this.  Those bags are never sealed...they're just regular commercial-grade plastics bags.  I do not recall having received any products from B&H in the past that had this plastic bag.  Hope that helps.
[/quote]

Dwight...the way you described your 1DX packaging is the same as mine...to the letter.  only difference is that my manuals were in a sealed bag. 

If it comforts you at all, I hit the 1000 shutter count today when I went to shoot some basketball and hockey.  I carefully watched the <1000 shutter count the entire time....it changed exactly at 1001. (the camera menu actually reads less than or equal to 1000)  So, my 1DX was untouched and never shot.  whew!

I'm pretty happy at this point because this camera is INCREDIBLE!  WOW.  Again, for sports, the 1DX's speed and quick AF are just incredible.  For almost all other types of still shooting, the 5D3 is just as good from what I'm seeing....maybe wedding receptions the 1DX would be better too.

Sport Shooter

Dwight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2012, 12:31:41 AM »

Dwight...the way you described your 1DX packaging is the same as mine...to the letter.  only difference is that my manuals were in a sealed bag. 

If it comforts you at all, I hit the 1000 shutter count today when I went to shoot some basketball and hockey.  I carefully watched the <1000 shutter count the entire time....it changed exactly at 1001. (the camera menu actually reads less than or equal to 1000)  So, my 1DX was untouched and never shot.  whew!

I'm pretty happy at this point because this camera is INCREDIBLE!  WOW.  Again, for sports, the 1DX's speed and quick AF are just incredible.  For almost all other types of still shooting, the 5D3 is just as good from what I'm seeing....maybe wedding receptions the 1DX would be better too.
[/quote]

Yup, not really losing sleep over the open bag.  Though I feel agitated, the look and feel of the 1D X are alleviating all that at the moment...and the images are, as you've said, incredible too!  ;D  Having shot less than a hundred, in lowlight, I can honestly (not stretching the truth nor fooling myself) say its got a 2/3-stop advantage over my 5DMk3.  No doubt, I'm happy in that regard.  I'm not gonna make a big stink out of this.  Maybe the bag ripped inside the box during shipping?  Who knows?!  I didn't think the plastic bag was very sturdy...I haphazardly ripped the other long side of the said plastic bag trying to get to the 'LAN Instruction Manual' and 'Pocket Guide' which, as you know, is at the bottom of the pile (if you were looking at the plastic bag from the cover page of the 'Instruction Manual').  Though that might've been just me being a total klutz!  Inspecting each and every manual/guide, absolutely none of them had any creases on their spine.  I can't imagine a situation where someone would just cut the plastic bag open [remember, mine looked like it was neatly cut (with a scissor or cutter)...as opposed to being ripped willy-nilly], and then all of a sudden have a change of heart (without even checking out the rest of the goods in the box) and decide to return the 1D X...it's a 1D X...for crying out loud...it ain't an impulse-buy gizmo!  8)

On another note, I'm totally digging the max/min setting for aperture and shutter.  Those are totally invaluable for my needs...in addition to spot metering on any AF point and combo of AF points.  I now realize why photographers, who had been shooting with 1D-series body/bodies, swear by them and would not be caught red-handed with anything less!  :)

Thanks for your insights, Northstar!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 02:13:44 AM by Dwight »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2012, 12:31:41 AM »

Dwight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2012, 12:36:24 AM »
BTW, Northstar, you should update your sig now.  As for me, haven't gotten around to try and figure out how to put up a sig...will soon.

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2012, 04:55:12 PM »
BTW, Northstar, you should update your sig now.  As for me, haven't gotten around to try and figure out how to put up a sig...will soon.

Done, thanks D!
Sport Shooter

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2012, 05:06:04 PM »
For the record....Adorama took my concern seriously (I sent several close up pics) and I was contacted by a rep.  They offered me the opportunity to send it back free of charge.

So I would have to give Adorama credit for how they handled my concern, and I'll continue to buy from them.
Sport Shooter

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2012, 06:16:50 PM »
For the record....Adorama took my concern seriously (I sent several close up pics) and I was contacted by a rep.  They offered me the opportunity to send it back free of charge.

So I would have to give Adorama credit for how they handled my concern, and I'll continue to buy from them.

So does that mean you are going to return it, get a new box or just forget it assuming they assured you it was indeed new?  (Just curious.)
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

Dwight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2012, 07:21:25 PM »

I'm glad to know Adorama is taking care of you.  They're great.  So is B&H.  Really haven't had any serious issues dealing with either of them in the past.

As for me, I'm waiting till tomorrow to give B&H a call and see how to move forward on this.  If I get some downtime this week, might also swing by Canon Irvine.  I'll keep you posted, Northstar.  Do keep me posted as well.  Thanks.

Dwight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2012, 07:23:33 PM »

So does that mean you are going to return it, get a new box or just forget it assuming they assured you it was indeed new?  (Just curious.)

They haven't assured me anything just yet.  Haven't corresponded with them...will wait till tom.  I'm torn right now, to be honest...happy with the camera...not quite with the open plastic bag.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2012, 07:23:33 PM »

Dwight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2012, 07:32:38 PM »
day after maybe...  but no way bofore

Wait, bycostello, were you saying B&H is closed tomorrow?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2012, 07:32:38 PM »