July 26, 2014, 01:45:05 PM

Author Topic: Big zoom, small size  (Read 407 times)

anthonyd

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Big zoom, small size
« on: February 12, 2014, 01:52:22 AM »
Hello, I was wondering if anybody has real life experience (and photos to back it up) with a superzoom compact camera.  I was looking at the latest announcements by Sony at dpreview and could help wonder if a 24.5 - 1550mm equivalent lens that is smaller (and cheaper) than a full frame 50mm could possibly produce anything decent.

Put another way, if I were to go on a trip to Alaska, or Yellowstone tomorrow and couldn't afford a canon 600mm or bigger (let alone the trash-can size and weight) would it be worth it to grab a superzoom that has a reach of 1000+ equivalent? (not necessarily the Sony ones mentioned).

Please don't start a discussion on image stabilization, or the small sensor size and its effects on IQ. I'm well aware of all that.  I'm asking about the lens, so assume we are taking a picture of a grizzly bear, or a bird, who's standing still, on a very bright day, with the camera on a tripod.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:54:22 AM by anthonyd »

canon rumors FORUM

Big zoom, small size
« on: February 12, 2014, 01:52:22 AM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: Big zoom, small size
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 07:20:08 AM »
Hello, I was wondering if anybody has real life experience (and photos to back it up) with a superzoom compact camera.  I was looking at the latest announcements by Sony at dpreview and could help wonder if a 24.5 - 1550mm equivalent lens that is smaller (and cheaper) than a full frame 50mm could possibly produce anything decent.

Put another way, if I were to go on a trip to Alaska, or Yellowstone tomorrow and couldn't afford a canon 600mm or bigger (let alone the trash-can size and weight) would it be worth it to grab a superzoom that has a reach of 1000+ equivalent? (not necessarily the Sony ones mentioned).

Please don't start a discussion on image stabilization, or the small sensor size and its effects on IQ. I'm well aware of all that.  I'm asking about the lens, so assume we are taking a picture of a grizzly bear, or a bird, who's standing still, on a very bright day, with the camera on a tripod.

I suggest you look at this thread....

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=19470.msg366042#msg366042

(Forum - Gear talk - Powershot - 200X Zoom on SX50)
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Big zoom, small size
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 07:20:08 AM »