April 20, 2014, 12:43:45 PM

Author Topic: Suggestions for website hosting?  (Read 8093 times)

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for website hosting?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 04:10:54 PM »
does anyone use photoshelter?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 04:10:54 PM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 04:46:21 PM »
I also have a yahoo small business account. The issue is that they no longer support ftp (not ftps), which I need for FP 2003.
I'm guessing ya'll mean sftp...secure ftp....

Just a suggestion, and I know it is 'easy' for me since I'm an IT guy..but get away from Front Page, no one really uses it anymore, and real sites haven't for a LONG time.

I know it may be painful for you at first, but in the long run, moving from that will likely be a boon to you. Not sure what I'd recommend, since I like to handcode things a bit and I can set up and run my own servers at my house (I have a business internet acct. with Cox Cable, only $69/mo...and worth every penny to me)....

But do look for alternatives. There are lots of services out there that do host for people, and some do allow and provide tools for you to manage your own site.
If nothing else, think of it at a good time to maybe redesign and breathe new life into an old site?

Good luck!

Cayenne

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 04:48:52 PM »
Thank you, unfocused, I will check dreamhost out. I've been thinking abour various repercussions and I also don't want to change  to change my website address, so hosting for ftp only is the right move for me.

If you own your own domain (I'm assuming you do)...just moving your site from host to host, does not require you to lose your domain (web address).

If you are a site called fred.com....no matter which server you move it to, you can still be fred.com. You just have to update the domain records. If you bought your domain from godaddy.com, you can log onto the account you bought your domain under and make the changes there.

This holds true for any place you bought your domain....

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 05:08:55 PM »
Godaddy... I made my own website from scratch so i dont need any other service... I'm in the process now of rebuilding my website...  hopefully will have the new site launched in a week

I've been with them for 5+ years and am getting ready to switch. I've recently had some bad service with them that I can't just blame on somebody having a bad day at work.

knock on wood but haven't had problems yet... As long as my site doesn't crash and everything is afloat, I dont need to contact them and visa versa...  But if I do have problems, I wouldn't have any quams going to another service...
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

DCM1024

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 06:08:43 PM »
I ended up going with HostGator, and so far their customer service has been outstanding. They transferred my site from Yahoo to their server, then assigned an account rep who called to see if I needed further help. I am in the process now of setting up FTP so that I can update my site.

Valvebounce

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 04:18:55 AM »
Hi Debbie
Sorry I can't help you with hosting, but I would like to say, Flash? Have you any idea how many people you are excluding from using your site? I know you said it is a business hosting service, is it a business site or just better hosting for personal, if business, can you afford to alienate the Ithing users?

Cheers Graham.
7D Gripped, 40D Gripped*, *20D, 300D Saved a holiday now retired, *E-FS 17-85, E-FS 18-55 Kit lenses, Cosina 100-300, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 C, *50mm f1.8, 550EX some filters remotes tripod heads etc!
Still can't use most of it to its full potential! ;)  *=Purchased Used

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 04:18:55 AM »