October 20, 2014, 09:10:01 PM

Author Topic: Has Canon entered the Graveyard Spiral?  (Read 33014 times)

el bouv

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Has Canon entered the Graveyard Spiral?
« on: November 12, 2012, 10:51:41 AM »
Between the wife and myself we have 5 Canon bodies and 18 lenses of which only the 15mm fish eye and an old 100 macro are not L glass, with 7 series 2 lenses, so there is a sizable investment in Canon kit.

But the dissatisfaction with Canon’s tardiness is steadily mounting.

On a recent leopard safari the Nikon D4 crowd simply ran away with shots compared to the best our 1D Mk4s could deliver. We are not only talking sensor performance, although we lived like lepers with only ISO 1600 max, the most frustrating feature is that the fitting of a flash to the 1D Mk4 forces Auto ISO to fix at 400. Damn nuisance if you are doing night work, want to work Manual at ISO 1600 with a fill flash and the clever Canon firmware decides that it is time to override your settings.  The 1DX has the same problem  feature. This could explain why 7 out of the 10 photographers that joined the leopard safari shot Nikon.

Then there is the long wait for the release of partially sorted equipment.

I waited almost 2 years for the 24-70 Mk II lens. The 200-400 lens, as staple for wildlife shooting in the Nikon stable, is yet nowhere in sight. Would also love a 14-24 for landscape work….

All recently released bodies had significant problems and required post release upgrades and firmware replacement.

A lot of noise being made about the 1DX, probably the best copy of a Nikon 3D that Canon ever produced, and is probably marginally better than the D3, I seems a capable camera but only if compared to the previous Nikon model. It is the probably the very best Canon camera but that is a bit like being the most beautiful girl at an all-male party.

IMHO it seems that the constant release of superior Nikon products is forcing Canon’s hand. Canon has since the release of the D300 been in catch up mode and are being forced to announce products that are still on the drawing board, and then have to rush half-baked stuff to market, at prices that exceed the Nikon range.
Has Canon fallen terminally behind?

My concern is the rate at which the local photo community is switching to Nikon. With profitability already down Canon is yielding significant market share to innovative and high quality Nikon products and that means less money, also for R&D, resulting in less capable kit, resulting in less sales, resulting in less money…..

Should they rather focus on the point and shoot consumer market and leave the high end stuff to professionals?

canon rumors FORUM

Has Canon entered the Graveyard Spiral?
« on: November 12, 2012, 10:51:41 AM »

PackLight

Re: Has Canon entered the Graveyard Spiral?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 11:23:05 AM »

My concern is the rate at which the local photo community is switching to Nikon. With profitability already down Canon is yielding significant market share to innovative and high quality Nikon products and that means less money, also for R&D, resulting in less capable kit, resulting in less sales, resulting in less money…..

No doubt you are right. Canon will only make between 3 and 4 billion this year. With profits like that they will be gone in no time.

el bouv

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 11:25:43 AM »
Thanks Privatebydesign

Great review.

The Series 2 Teles are superb!

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 12:03:53 PM »
he now shoots Canon 

His gear list is all Nikon, save for the G12.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 12:12:20 PM »
A lot of noise being made about the 1DX, probably the best copy of a Nikon D3 that Canon ever produced, and is  better than the D4,

There. That's better and more accurate.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

picturesbyme

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • AtlanticPicture.com
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 12:16:56 PM »
http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/25/canon-announces-q3-2012-results-operating-profit-drops-by-42-pe/

Could be many reasons some might be not available for us yet to see, however I agree that Canon needs to wake- and shake-up its mgmt teams. The artificial dumbing down of products, the overcharging for every little thing that others give for free to their customers are just not cool.
Canon has great products but they have to acknowledge that they are not the only one.
Plenty of large companies acted like that (GM comes to mind) and couldn't care less what the people wanted to buy until they realized that a large portion of their income comes from the people who they ignore and alienate.... 

They (Canon) also deserve credit for the huge leap they did towards the future.... Canon introduced the pinch-type lens cap! These caps (that cost a few cents) and hoods were standard for other lenses many years before but Canon has seen the light... 10 more years and they will offer free hoods :)  After that the sky is the limit...

That said I need a little more time until I can complain that my cameras are holding me back :)
So I'm heading back to shoot/edit my RAW files because I'm convinced that none can convince me to convince him about something that I'm totally convinced I'm right without being convinced first that I have to convince him...  ;)

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 12:17:10 PM »
What "innovations" has Nikon brought to the table recently? Technology is pretty good these days. If people switch systems every time the competition has a marginally better spec'd product on paper... you'll be spending a LOT of time and money switching back and forth rather than taking photos.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 12:17:10 PM »

NormanBates

• Canon 7D MK II
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 12:19:09 PM »
They're surely in bad shape, but I hope they haven't reached that spiral you talk about. Lack of competition is a very very bad thing (and Sony is coming up real fast, but still doesn't count as competition in the very high-end market.

NormanBates

• Canon 7D MK II
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 12:22:43 PM »
BTW my solution to this "grass is always greener on the other side" dilemma is to make my kit as brand-agnostic as I can. It helps a lot that I shoot mostly video, instead of stills in a safari: since I have to focus manually anyway, I made a point of buying lenses that will work on nearly every brand of body (vintage Leitz primes for the Leica-R mount: awesome glass, real cheap, works on Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, and just about anything else).

Sameer Thawani

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 12:32:36 PM »
I can understand the disappointment, but one thing to consider is this: when it comes to specs on paper, I have to admit Nikon beats Canon in quite a few departments. When it comes to real shooting, the ability to take great photographs and have utilities such as dual card slots, the annoying ISO-fixing-at-400 issue a poster talked about, again Nikon seems to be more intelligent. Canon has some catching up to do for sure.

However, I don't think they are going to be gone anytime soon. They still have a loyal fan following, and you can still get great pro-quality photos with their gear. Although yes, unless management gets its head out of the sand and starts to smell the coffee, they are going to continue losing market share to Nikon in my opinion.

iso79

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 12:38:47 PM »
Yay, more doom & gloom from gearheads who don't actually take photos  ::)
5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 135mm f/2L

sandymandy

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 12:48:52 PM »

Yes right, as the majority of Canon users have fullframe cameras and lots of L lenses...

Ur probably in the top <5% of users with ur gear. 5 Bodies and 16 L lenses u say?

Sorry its crying on a VERY high level.

Im running around with mostly old manual focus m42 lenses on my (guess in ur view) "lousy aps-c 1100d eos" cuz i just cant afford anything better. For me it wasnt cheap tough still.  If you so unhappy with ur announced-dead canon gear i surely take some of it for free. I think my whole apartement interior isnt even worth enough to buy _one_ L lens.
And anyway if ur that wealthy why dont u just get a Nikon body with a tele lens so u can use it on ur safaris? For the rest u can perhaps keep your down-the-graveyard-spiral canon gear.

sorry im a bit angry and feel so poor now T_T

el bouv

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 12:50:20 PM »
@iso79

Absolutely correct observation.

Never even been near a shutter release: http://lorettasteyn.blogspot.com/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 12:50:20 PM »

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 01:11:06 PM »
@iso79

Absolutely correct observation.

Never even been near a shutter release: http://lorettasteyn.blogspot.com/

Great shots! Keep up this beautiful work.

5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-105L  |  70-300L  |  24-70VC  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 01:17:58 PM »
Should they rather focus on the point and shoot consumer market and leave the high end stuff to professionals?

That would surely be one-way a ticket to the graveyard, since the competition from mobile phones is steadily eliminating the entire consumer P&S market.

....they are going to continue losing market share to Nikon in my opinion.

So, you're saying that Nikon is going to continue their trend of gaining market share from Canon.  A trend that has lasted for exactly the one most recent quarter of the last four years.  Okay-dokay, we'll see...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 01:17:58 PM »