July 28, 2014, 11:32:54 AM

Author Topic: Has Canon entered the Graveyard Spiral?  (Read 30388 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Has Canon entered the Graveyard Spiral?
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2012, 10:01:51 PM »
You couldn't have said it better. I was about to mention that maybe, just maybe an average or above average DSLR shooter can set the ISO to manual   ::)  (especially a 1D series user ...  ;D  )

Meh.  I haven't taken a picture since getting my 1D X.  I've read the manual over and over, and I can't seem to find anything like the green square setting I used on all my other dSLRs.  I gave up and just use my S100 now.  :o
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2012, 10:01:51 PM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2012, 10:20:48 PM »
You couldn't have said it better. I was about to mention that maybe, just maybe an average or above average DSLR shooter can set the ISO to manual   ::)  (especially a 1D series user ...  ;D  )

Meh.  I haven't taken a picture since getting my 1D X.  I've read the manual over and over, and I can't seem to find anything like the green square setting I used on all my other dSLRs.  I gave up and just use my S100 now.  :o
;D

PackLight

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2012, 11:11:33 PM »
@iso79

Absolutely correct observation.

Never even been near a shutter release: http://lorettasteyn.blogspot.com/

Have you ever pushed the ISO button on top of your camera and manually set your ISO?
Not a big deal at all.
How about this, go to C.Fn I 3 and set your highest ISO to 3200, 6400 or even 12,800?
You were not limited to ISO 1600.

Your complaints are either from lack of experience with the camera, or you are one of the paid/ or non paid Nikon fanboy trolls stiring up false information.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 11:13:08 PM by PackLight »

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2012, 02:24:49 AM »
I know i shouldnt but.....i still feel angry now after reading the thread again  :o

Ben Taylor

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2012, 02:30:18 AM »
Give the OP a break. He's probably left handed and can't articulate pressing the ISO button. 

If he switches to Nikon he might be able to get a hold of Ken Rockwell's left handed Nikon F100 and then he'll be able to change ISO... but wait... the F100 takes film... oh no... but... wait... err... aaaarrrrrrghghghgh!!!!!  :D :D :D

5D Mark III  | 5D Mark II  |  Samyang 14mm f/2.8  | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L  |  Sigma 85mm f/1.4L  |  Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II  | Canon 2X Extender III  |  Canon 580 EX II  | RRS TVC 34L + RRS BH55 LR                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/

symmar22

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2012, 04:08:11 AM »
My concern is the rate at which the local photo community is switching to Nikon. With profitability already down Canon is yielding significant market share to innovative and high quality Nikon products and that means less money, also for R&D, resulting in less capable kit, resulting in less sales, resulting in less money…..

Yes right, as the majority of Canon users have fullframe cameras and lots of L lenses...

Ur probably in the top <5% of users with ur gear. 5 Bodies and 16 L lenses u say?

Sorry its crying on a VERY high level.

Im running around with mostly old manual focus m42 lenses on my (guess in ur view) "lousy aps-c 1100d eos" cuz i just cant afford anything better. For me it wasnt cheap tough still.  If you so unhappy with ur announced-dead canon gear i surely take some of it for free. I think my whole apartement interior isnt even worth enough to buy _one_ L lens.
And anyway if ur that wealthy why dont u just get a Nikon body with a tele lens so u can use it on ur safaris? For the rest u can perhaps keep your down-the-graveyard-spiral canon gear.

sorry im a bit angry and feel so poor now T_T

I feel you Mandy, thanks to bring back a bit of financial reality here. It's mainly about boys crying about their (expensive) toys. Well I agree sometimes I cry a bit as well, but thank you to remind us we should be happy to have a camera and to be able to actually make some pictures.

On the other hand, you must understand; this person has realized too late that the trendy colors for safaris changed from white/red to black/gold this year. And as you know a gentleman can not afford such an error of taste ::)

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2012, 04:11:33 AM »
@iso79

Absolutely correct observation.

Never even been near a shutter release: http://lorettasteyn.blogspot.com/

Have you ever pushed the ISO button on top of your camera and manually set your ISO?
Not a big deal at all.
How about this, go to C.Fn I 3 and set your highest ISO to 3200, 6400 or even 12,800?
You were not limited to ISO 1600.

Your complaints are either from lack of experience with the camera, or you are one of the paid/ or non paid Nikon fanboy trolls stiring up false information.

I very much aggree with what you're saying in the first paragraph: the ISO is yours to control, not to be set by the camera. Just like everything else.

But once you start talking about people paid to troll the forums... sorry, you're paranoid.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2012, 04:11:33 AM »

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2012, 04:33:12 AM »
I don't know about Canon, but my brother has a nasty cold.

I sure hope he hasn't entered the graveyard spiral!!
Depends whether its Asian flu or not :P.
I am sorry to break this to you. Everybody on this thread and others alive are in a graveyard spiral! It is inevitable ;)
At most you can delay it a bit. So my philosophy is to take pictures and refine my technique :)
That way I can have some skills in the afterlife.

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2012, 04:53:36 AM »
I feel you Mandy, thanks to bring back a bit of financial reality here. It's mainly about boys crying about their (expensive) toys. Well I agree sometimes I cry a bit as well, but thank you to remind us we should be happy to have a camera and to be able to actually make some pictures.

On the other hand, you must understand; this person has realized too late that the trendy colors for safaris changed from white/red to black/gold this year. And as you know a gentleman can not afford such an error of taste ::)

Many times i just feel so grateful for everything i have in my life but at the same time i feel like i dont deserve anything of it. Sometimes im ashamed of being able to have a camera at all while other people in the world have just themselves and nothing else. Everytime i come here to the forums it just clashes with my inner feelings and puts me on an emotional rollercoaster. Sure i also want L lenses since theyre really awesome but then i feel ashamed again of not being happy with what i got. Anyway i wont read this thread anymore and try to calm down.

symmar22

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2012, 06:00:11 AM »
You're absolutely right, I guess this is the fate of our societies, we never have enough..... Even people who can afford safaris in Africa with 16 L lenses are not happy. But that should not be a reference in any case, I've been on my own traveling enough to see starving people enough, when I start to behave indecently, that very thought puts me back in line. Do not be ashamed of your so called social status, or your income level, there is simply no reason for it. Keep enjoying life as you do, have fun making nice pictures with what you have, if someday you can afford a lens upgrade that brings you something, then go for it. The most important is who you are and what you do, not what you own. I think all this whining about equipment (I confess I am part of it sometimes) just shows how unfulfilled our lives are. When I was 16, I was offered an Olympus OM-10 with a 50mm 1.8, I was never as happy as with that simple rig.

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2012, 07:09:42 AM »
You're absolutely right, I guess this is the fate of our societies, we never have enough..... Even people who can afford safaris in Africa with 16 L lenses are not happy. But that should not be a reference in any case, I've been on my own traveling enough to see starving people enough, when I start to behave indecently, that very thought puts me back in line. Do not be ashamed of your so called social status, or your income level, there is simply no reason for it. Keep enjoying life as you do, have fun making nice pictures with what you have, if someday you can afford a lens upgrade that brings you something, then go for it. The most important is who you are and what you do, not what you own. I think all this whining about equipment (I confess I am part of it sometimes) just shows how unfulfilled our lives are. When I was 16, I was offered an Olympus OM-10 with a 50mm 1.8, I was never as happy as with that simple rig.

Gotta agree with you here. We need some perspective here. Taking pictures is fun and for some of us a or the main source of income. For me a very small part though. I maybe know 25% of what my body can do but I think I can capture some really good images with it anyway. The first pictures I sold with an article was with a 4MP Minolta (I think) P&S, the guys at the mag wasn't all happy but still liked them. Goes to show that content rules.

And-Rew

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2012, 07:15:18 AM »
"the most frustrating feature is that the fitting of a flash to the 1D Mk4 forces Auto ISO to fix at 400. Damn nuisance if you are doing night work"

So why aren't you working with the flash and ISO in full manual mode?

You and your wife have a hefty collection of Canon gear that most pro's would give their right arm for - yet you don't know how to work with flash in manual mode?

With that statement in mind, i would suggest it's not the camera that's the problem - it's the user!

If i can shoot Badgers at 22:00 on a British winters evening with a 30D and 5D2 with out any issue - fairly confident you should be able to set things up with a 1D series to use on a safari!

As for the 1DX - with its gorgeous high ISO capabilities - one has to question why you would want flash  ???

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2012, 07:20:16 AM »
I don't want to get all emotional here, but just to emphasize my other post, there are people who have other concerns than something about Canon (that I can't really remember) the OP mentioned. I took this pictures last Sunday on a morning walk.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2012, 07:20:16 AM »

PackLight

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2012, 07:41:02 AM »

But once you start talking about people paid to troll the forums... sorry, you're paranoid.

Why yes I am. But to believe such tactics do not happen could also be a bit naive.
I guess the elections aren't far enough behind us here in the US and dirty politics is still fresh in our mind. :-\

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2012, 12:42:25 PM »
Two things:

1. Canon had better release or announce some cameras soon as people are getting spiritual and emotional on this thread.

2. As I write the point above in the comfort of my home, my stomach full, I realise that I don't have to worry about where my next meals will be coming from. So in a way I seem to have won the lottery and the odds were probably better than a million to one...

Hell, Canon had better announce some cameras soon :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2012, 12:42:25 PM »