April 20, 2014, 11:17:19 PM

Author Topic: Has Canon entered the Graveyard Spiral?  (Read 27693 times)

Zlatko

Re: Has Canon entered the Graveyard Spiral?
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2012, 05:44:07 PM »
We might want to enjoy what's available to us while it lasts. I'm actually pretty happy overall and can't really understand why people complain about high ISO performance and such. For the most part I would argue that nobody really need this. Decades of excellent wildlife (and other) pictures shot on 400 ISO film are proof to me. But then again, I'm not really the safari/Africa tourist to begin with so what do I know. I'd pay to be nowhere near such a thing.
I agree with you on enjoying what's available while it lasts.  I'm pretty happy overall too.  High ISO performance is better than ever before.  When I shoot the 5D2 and the 5D3 at ISO 6400 and compare the results, it is very clear that Canon has not been asleep.  Instead, they have delivered better high ISO performance (among many other improvements) — in response to the wishes of many photographers.  In the world of night-time indoor event photography, every bit of high ISO performance makes a difference (think candle light and other low light situations).  We can work without flash where flash was previously required.  And when we work with flash, less flash is needed — our flash travels farther and our flash batteries last longer.  We can capture action more easily.  And we can capture the ambiance better.  Of course, we still have to remember when to set the ISO manually.  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2012, 05:44:07 PM »

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2012, 07:24:05 PM »
I don't want to get all emotional here, but just to emphasize my other post, there are people who have other concerns than something about Canon (that I can't really remember) the OP mentioned. I took this pictures last Sunday on a morning walk.

I hope you did more than just taking the pictures
Well that is sort of the reason we live in a country like this. My wife works with international development within human rights and rule of law. These children are not starving, they are homeless. If they are not picked up by a children's protection organisation they are doomed to a life of crime and drugs though. My helping them with money of food wouldn't make a difference. One difference I can make is to publish a picture like that to make more people aware of what's going on in the world. That is in my view one of the tasks for photographers. I am not professional, but get some stuff published on occasion. This picture happens to be taken with my 5D3 but to deliver the message any tool could have been used. Auto ISO or not.

Really? helping with money or food wouldn't make a difference?  Even if for just that day?  your lack of compassion is staggering...keep on shooting that $3500 camera

Your stupidity is staggering. You have obviously not spent much time in an urban area. The number of homeless people are enormous. I have bought homeless people food and it makes a small difference in one of the thousands of homeless people's lives just in that city. Mostly it just made me feel better about my life and did very little to stem the tide of homelessness in Boston. Publicly displayed pictures or working for a human rights organization does so much more. A picture can inspire others to do something for the homeless people they pass every day.

So how much time have you spent working at your local soup kitchen? What do you volunteer your time for besides ignorant attacks on the internet. I volunteer a good deal of my time for local conservation efforts. I feel it is better way to make an impact on the future of the human race than helping with the homeless. You can argue that but you will not convince me otherwise. What do you do with your time and money robbymack Theresa that puts you in a position to judge others? (I just supplied my credentials to judge you)
@robbymack, I don't know how much time you've spent in third world countries, I have spent the better part of the last ten years in this part of the world and believe me when I say that giving food to someone in a situation like that makes very little change, maybe it makes you feel better for the moment but it has no long term impact whatsoever, maybe it might even have negative impact for a number of reasons.
@natureshots, thanks for your comment, I do agree with you that there are much more efficient ways to go about this, one big problem in countries like this is the fact that the government does nothing to help, there are no systems or institutions in place to deal with the problems, furthermore it is only one of all the gigantic problems they are facing.

Well this was off the subject, but nevertheless puts in perspective the OP's comment. I can see why people see that Canon don't meet their needs, but that probably goes for Nikon users also. I've been active there asking for lens picks for a friend's daughter and from what I've read there are similar issues within the Nikon camp. Goes to show we're never happy with what we have maybe.

johnf3f

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2012, 09:00:54 PM »
he now shoots Canon 

His gear list is all Nikon, save for the G12.

Yes that is true. He is begging borrowing Canon stuff as his D4 and D800 do not work properly/reliably. Nikon cannot fix these cameras.

Louis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2012, 06:18:21 AM »
@iso79

Absolutely correct observation.

Never even been near a shutter release: http://lorettasteyn.blogspot.com/

Great shots! Keep up this beautiful work.

Nice work,

I agree with you, Canon are losing me also

jukka

« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2012, 07:43:00 AM »
he now shoots Canon 

Yes that is true. He is begging borrowing Canon stuff as his D4 and D800 do not work properly/reliably. Nikon cannot fix these cameras.

as his D4 and D800 do not work properly/reliably?

in what way?

Here is a true story, on a long-term phenomenon and who many seems to have forgotten

Beijing Olympics.
One of the best sports photographers seek Canon service tent for the third time, the photographer does not get  as sharp images as his colleagues who use Nikon equipment. After visit the service tent 3 times  he got a straight answer, what do you expect, it's a Canon.
The photographer wanders off to Nikon and  borrow 2 x D3 house with lenses.

After the Olympics, there was a massive  switch to Nikon, which still persist in Europe,today many of the major newspapers, photo agencies use D3s D4.

So do not talk too loudly about an AF point who  is not working as it should in a semi pro camera and from the first series
As I understand it, the problem is solved

Ei vittu järjestely voi hyvinkin yksinkertaistettu viestiä
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 08:37:03 AM by jukka »

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2012, 10:38:40 AM »
The 61-Point AF system from canon is the very best AF ever devised in modern 35mm AF Cameras as of the latest firmware update  ;).
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

rpt

• 1D X
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2012, 11:17:32 AM »
jukka, sorry I don't understand Finnish. Could you please explain this sentence to me? I don't trust computer translations. They could translate server to servant! And in my line of work that is a big deal :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2012, 11:17:32 AM »

PackLight

« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2012, 11:24:34 AM »
It should be obvious to everyone that Canon is at the point they may declare bankruptcy.
I just read this article, and apparantly Canon is doing much worse than thought.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/canon-u-closes-2012-award-140000960.html

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2012, 11:31:20 AM »
It should be obvious to everyone that Canon is at the point they may declare bankruptcy.
I just read this article, and apparantly Canon is doing much worse than thought.

;D  ;D  ;D

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2012, 01:59:20 PM »

Yes, and contrast that with Sony's incredible performance. http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/14/3647536/sony-convertible-bond-image-sensor-investment

I guess those superior-in-every-way sensors from Sony that I keep reading about on this forum are really helping the company.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

PackLight

« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2012, 02:16:14 PM »

Yes, and contrast that with Sony's incredible performance. http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/14/3647536/sony-convertible-bond-image-sensor-investment

I guess those superior-in-every-way sensors from Sony that I keep reading about on this forum are really helping the company.

Sony is a great company, but they should stick to TV's and making movies like Skyfall.

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2012, 02:37:25 PM »
Sony is a great company, but they should stick to TV's and making movies like Skyfall.

Sony produces the sensor for Nikon D600.
http://www.petapixel.com/2012/11/08/teardowns-of-nikon-d600-reveal-sony-sensor-hard-to-replace-lcd-screen/
Perhaps even in other models? :D

Yep, just read it d800 too. http://nikonrumors.com/2012/08/29/confirmed-the-sensor-inside-the-nikon-d800-is-made-by-sony.aspx/

jrista

• 1D X
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2012, 03:30:38 PM »

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/11/08/teardowns-of-nikon-d600-reveal-sony-sensor-hard-to-replace-lcd-screen/

Yep, just read it d800 too. http://nikonrumors.com/2012/08/29/confirmed-the-sensor-inside-the-nikon-d800-is-made-by-sony.aspx/

Um, yes...really, Really, REALLY OOOOLD news?

D7000, D800, D600, D3200 all use Sony Exmor sensors. Pentax K5 uses one as well. A number of other competing camera manufacturers, as well as dozens of compact camera and cell phone brands all use Sony sensors. You might as well expect a "Sony Inside" logo in half the products on the market that have an imaging sensor.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2012, 03:30:38 PM »

Simba

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2012, 05:30:18 PM »

Um, yes...really, Really, REALLY OOOOLD news?

D7000, D800, D600, D3200 all use Sony Exmor sensors. Pentax K5 uses one as well. A number of other competing camera manufacturers, as well as dozens of compact camera and cell phone brands all use Sony sensors. You might as well expect a "Sony Inside" logo in half the products on the market that have an imaging sensor.

For the Nikon dSLR cameras released this year, D3200 and D4 have Nikon sensors, and D5200, D600, and D800 have Sony sensors.  They are all damn good.  Great to have competition.
http://www.sensorgen.info/
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:39:10 PM by Simba »

jukka

« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2012, 07:00:38 PM »
he now shoots Canon 

as his D4 and D800 do not work properly/reliably?

in what way?

Here is a true story, on a long-term phenomenon and who many seems to have forgotten

Beijing Olympics.
One of the best sports photographers seek Canon service tent for the third time, the photographer does not get  as sharp images as his colleagues who use Nikon equipment. After visit the service tent 3 times  he got a straight answer, what do you expect, it's a Canon.
The photographer wanders off to Nikon and  borrow 2 x D3 house with lenses.

After the Olympics, there was a massive  switch to Nikon, which still persist in Europe,today many of the major newspapers, photo agencies use D3s D4.

So do not talk too loudly about an AF point who  is not working as it should in a semi pro camera and from the first series
As I understand it, the problem is solved

Well the D4 and D800 both suffered lockups, the D800 and D800E both suffered AF sensor misalignment, the D4 and D800/E have a very peculiar screen hue, unless green is your favourite colour. The D600 has a dust issue on the sensor that is an engineering fault. The D4 and D800/E had/has a tethered Live View issue when in M mode. The D800 had various card write speed issues when released, and many Nikon bodies just won't support some popular cards (Kingston). The D800 has flash master triggering issues.

Then, of course, there were the exploding D800's, well a few of them went pop. The D800 has long exposure issues too, and what about the ViewNX2 to Lightroom issue where D800 users couldn't open their Nikon exported files in Lightroom?

Now if we get bored with body issues we could move to lens issues? Nikon has a ridiculous list of compatibility issues with its lenses, yes you might be able to physically mount a lens to a body, but that doesn't mean that body can actually take an image, when you look at Nikon's lens "solutions" it makes EF, EF-s and EF-m seem so logical. Then there are the various reports of bad sharpness at distance with the 200-400, a lens I am pretty sure Canon will get right, and I for one would far rather have something I can rely on tomorrow than something I can't rely on today. The Nikon tilt shifts are optically on a par with Canon's MkI models and are factory set with tilt and shift orientation, again just like Canon's MkI T/S lenses, but they are priced hundreds of dollars higher, indeed they are priced similar to Canon's MkII lenses. How about the current 70-200 f2.8 at $2,400 that is, in actuality, closer to a 70-135 at MFD? But we could list things like this forever.

The grass always seems greener on the other side of the hill..........

But, if AF is your raison d'êtres, then anybody who has used a D4 and a 1Dx together can be in no doubt that for the majority of situations the 1Dx is the better performing camera. Of course most of us have many more than one narrow criteria for choosing a system, be that lenses, crop factors, sensor performance etc etc, but, once you turn pro you can have as much dynamic range as God himself, if the image is not in focus you are not getting paid.

Canon did themselves immeasurable harm amongst pros with the 1D MkIII AF fiasco, they have remade a lot of friends with the 1Dx.

green hue ?
what profiles are you using

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2012, 07:00:38 PM »