October 30, 2014, 11:36:31 AM

Author Topic: Has Canon entered the Graveyard Spiral?  (Read 33437 times)

HarryWintergreen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Has Canon entered the Graveyard Spiral?
« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2012, 07:13:36 PM »
Canon is without doubt a big player in the DSLR business. Canon cameras are faster, Nikon Cameras have a better dynamic range. To me  that's a matter of personal taste, nothing else. But when it comes to the non DSLR business I don't see any innovative power. Canon's just reacting on a prettying modest level. This is a bit disappointing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2012, 07:13:36 PM »

johnf3f

• Canon 70D
  • Canon 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2012, 08:43:38 PM »
he now shoots Canon 

His gear list is all Nikon, save for the G12.

Yes that is true. He is begging borrowing Canon stuff as his D4 and D800 do not work properly/reliably. Nikon cannot fix these cameras.

as his D4 and D800 do not work properly/reliably?

in what way?

Here is a true story, on a long-term phenomenon and who many seems to have forgotten

Beijing Olympics.
One of the best sports photographers seek Canon service tent for the third time, the photographer does not get  as sharp images as his colleagues who use Nikon equipment. After visit the service tent 3 times  he got a straight answer, what do you expect, it's a Canon.
The photographer wanders off to Nikon and  borrow 2 x D3 house with lenses.

After the Olympics, there was a massive  switch to Nikon, which still persist in Europe,today many of the major newspapers, photo agencies use D3s D4.

So do not talk too loudly about an AF point who  is not working as it should in a semi pro camera and from the first series
As I understand it, the problem is solved

Ei vittu järjestely voi hyvinkin yksinkertaistettu viestiä

I believe he describes it as stalling/coughing. Andy switched to Nikon a few years ago due to the introduction of the D3 and he had always wanjted the Nikon 200-400. On his last few international trips he has borrowed 1Dx's and an IR adapted 5D (Mk2 I think) + lenses, don't think he would do that unless he had to.
I am going to one of his lectures on the 30th, it will be interesting to see what he has to say.
Have a look at his Twitter/Facebook pages.

jukka

« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2012, 10:30:38 AM »
no,  it is easier than that, if  some one thinks the LCD shows to green/yellow tint in the Nikon and  they are using raw they can adjust the AWB so the display shows a more red warm tone and from the jpg rendition in the LCD (has noting to do with the cameras result and raw files)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 10:33:52 AM by jukka »

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2012, 09:46:16 PM »
no,  it is easier than that, if  some one thinks the LCD shows to green/yellow tint in the Nikon and  they are using raw they can adjust the AWB so the display shows a more red warm tone and from the jpg rendition in the LCD (has noting to do with the cameras result and raw files)
But wouldn't you have to edit every picture in post since you artificially changed the AWB?

friedmud

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2012, 10:27:46 PM »
But wouldn't you have to edit every picture in post since you artificially changed the AWB?

What?  Why?

I haven't noticed the "green screen" on my D600... but even if the screen were off a bit it wouldn't matter.  I don't know anyone that modifies the WB based on how things look on the back screen.  You either pick a WB preset based on the lighting (like the tungsten setting), use a grey card for a custom setting or leave it on Auto.

So it wouldn't matter if the screen were off a little bit... it only effects your view while shooting... and not the actual values in the file.

I'll compare the back screen view vs my computer screen and see if I can see any green tint...

friedmud

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2012, 10:30:23 PM »

Wait now I see what Jukka was saying... and you are right.  It would be foolish to modify the WB setting to compensate for the screen.  What a real pain to deal with in post!

friedmud

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2012, 11:21:26 PM »
I compared the same photo on the screen on the back of my D600 to my laptop (recent 15" MacBook Pro) screen and they are very similar.  My laptop tends to be a bit warm... and it is slightly warmer than the back screen on the D600, but I couldn't see any "green cast" on the screen in the slightest.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2012, 11:21:26 PM »

jukka

« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2012, 08:36:49 AM »
it is d800 who has a little more yellow tint in the LCD
If I compare my canon and nikon d800 there should be a middle way, the Canon LCD is little bit red/magenta and d800 little green /yellow

jukka

« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2012, 08:39:32 AM »

Wait now I see what Jukka was saying... and you are right.  It would be foolish to modify the WB setting to compensate for the screen.  What a real pain to deal with in post!

Get used to se the difference, I have and it is  nothing I think about after a while

jukka

« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2012, 08:41:23 AM »

nightbreath

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2012, 10:43:52 AM »
green hue ?
what profiles are you using

Do you profile your cameras playback screen? If so how? If Nikon resort to a firmware "fix" to sort it out then I can be pretty sure you can't.......

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/03/27/nikon-d800-issues.aspx/
http://www.petapixel.com/2012/04/22/nikon-refutes-greenish-tint-issues-says-lcd-on-d4d800-is-more-accurate/
http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/nikon-to-issue-firmware-update-to-correct-green-screen-issue-1086098
NO , but the LCD jpg rendition mirrors the chosen profile and settings in the camera
If you look at D3s vs. D800 screen, there's visible degradation in color rendition in the latter. And it happens when you look at the same file.

Am I wrong?
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

amazin

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2012, 01:48:35 PM »
Well, look at the glass lineup Canon has and look at others... Canon Rules on this side!

So i am wondering... is there a Nikon troll who sneak in this forum to start that subject? Or are we all so fans of Canon that we are somehow blind at this supposed declined?

nightbreath

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2012, 03:49:55 PM »
Well, look at the glass lineup Canon has and look at others... Canon Rules on this side!

So i am wondering... is there a Nikon troll who sneak in this forum to start that subject? Or are we all so fans of Canon that we are somehow blind at this supposed declined?
I believe there are small things that we like much enough to close our eyes on things that care others  ;)
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2012, 03:49:55 PM »

picturesbyme

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • AtlanticPicture.com
« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2012, 04:19:27 PM »
Cheeseburger!

Jesse

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2012, 04:37:31 PM »
@el bouv, your pictures are horrible. Can clearly tell you're using bad technology.
5D3, 8-15 f/4 L, 24-70 f/2.8 II L, 50 f/1.4, 70-200 f/4 IS L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8 L, 135 f/2 L 600EX-RT x2, CS6, LR5

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2012, 04:37:31 PM »