December 17, 2014, 04:56:45 PM

Author Topic: Has Canon entered the Graveyard Spiral?  (Read 34917 times)

jukka

Re: Has Canon entered the Graveyard Spiral?
« Reply #135 on: November 19, 2012, 05:22:29 AM »
who says Canon has a problem?

You did. 

...now my Canons LCD looks to reddish

Oh, and by the way, your comment that you get used to it (the greenish tint on the D800) is interesting - if the LCD was displaying correct colors, there'd be nothing to 'get used' to...

@NormanBates - thank you, but you fail to understand. Let me try to explain. The D800  has no problems.  The problem is  anyone who fails too  appreciate its perfection.

<\sardonic impersonation>

the eyes (brain) adapt  to the more yellow  LCD after a while.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: November 19, 2012, 05:22:29 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 19, 2012, 08:22:08 AM »

Thank you, yes, I do know a little something about neural plasticity.   ::)  Just because the brain can adapt to seeing the world upside down when wearing inverting prism lenses doesn't mean the world is actually upside down, nor is the world yellow-green tinted.  I prefer my world right-side up and correctly tinted, thank you very much.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #137 on: November 19, 2012, 09:11:57 AM »
The d800 screen looks like vomit. Very similar to what It used to look like on my 5Dc. Its terrible.

PackLight

« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2012, 10:31:34 AM »
Well it is final. Canon must be closing the doors. This morning they announced they were sending all of their share holders money. No doubt because things are so bad.

I guess that is why they refered to it as a dividend. They are dividing up the companies assets before bankruptcy.

jukka

« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2012, 05:07:56 PM »
The d800 screen looks like vomit. Very similar to what It used to look like on my 5Dc. Its terrible.

strong words, there are no problem  to adjust the AWB a little bit and and then the motive looks fine at the LCD in d800.
The yellow /green tint is gone (in the LCD)
The  small AWB correction does not affect the jpg image out from the camera

This is AWB from 5dmk2, d800 and  raw file adjusted
None of the AWB in 5dmk2 or d800 does a proper job in 2800K
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:24:45 PM by jukka »

jukka

« Reply #140 on: November 19, 2012, 05:15:58 PM »

no I do not, and as I say, you get used, now my Canons LCD looks to reddish, my answer was, if you not like the the yellow tint you can adjust WB so the LCD mirrors a warmer reproduction (RAW), or use another profile (if it is important to se the colors in the LCD" more neutral" ) and regarding d800 the yellow tint are not seen in every situation

You cannot "use another profile" unless you hack the Nikon firmware, you can use another picture style, you can change the WB (though only a fool would do that to get a more accurate screen rendition), you can change saturation, but you can't change the screens profile.

Nikon themselves have now acknowledged this is a fault, even if you don't, and they are dealing with correcting it. But even though the eye/brain has an incredible ability to deal with coloured light and auto correct, that doesn't diminish the fact that, amazing though they are, they cannot instantly correct between a green screen and the actual scene in front of them, indeed that is why the D800 and D4, the $6,000 camera in my earlier post, both appear to have green tints, precisely because the eye can't deal with the inaccuracies of the Nikon screen profile.

pictures style standard , neutral etc are profiles and the differences shall also been shown in the LCD
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:18:40 PM by jukka »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 19, 2012, 05:24:25 PM »
there are no problem  to adjust the AWB a little bit and  and then the motive looks fine at the LCD in d800.
The AWB correction does not affect the jpg image out from the camera

If you're saying one must adjust the AWB so the D800 LCD shows the correct color, there IS a problem.  I don't see how that can be interpreted any other way.

So, if you alter the baseline AWB on the D800, it has no effect on the JPG image output?  I don't understand - if that's true, what is the point of the adjustment??

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: November 19, 2012, 05:24:25 PM »

jukka

« Reply #142 on: November 19, 2012, 05:28:31 PM »
There are probably  a bug in the jpg rendition, as I told you before, a  d700 or d3s  picture looks the same in d700 and d800 LCD . And no, in a serie I just shoot from d800 and JPG (I never use JPG) I can not se any visual differences in  the out come

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:31:29 PM by jukka »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 19, 2012, 05:38:52 PM »
There are probably  a bug in the jpg rendition, as I told you before, a  d700 or d3s  picture looks the same in d700 and d800 LCD .

So...the LCD has a problem in that there is an incorrect color tint, and the in camera JPG conversion engine has a bug so that it fails to incorporate modifications to the baseline AWB during conversion.  What do you know, two wrongs DO make a right!

Has the AWB bug been substantiated?  This is the first I've heard of it...

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2012, 05:41:27 PM »
There are probably  a bug in the jpg rendition, as I told you before, a  d700 or d3s  picture looks the same in d700 and d800 LCD .

So...the LCD has a problem in that there is an incorrect color tint, and the in camera JPG conversion engine has a bug so that it fails to incorporate modifications to the baseline AWB during conversion.  What do you know, two wrongs DO make a right!

Early on there was a bug with AWB, as D800 users were seeing the same green tint they had on the LCD in post. One of the video reviews, I think it was the one with the rodeo guy, actually demonstrated the problem. As far as I know, that was cleared up within the first few months via a firmware update.

jukka

« Reply #145 on: November 19, 2012, 05:42:42 PM »

we are going to look in to it tomorrow

here is the result from my 5dmk2 and d800
Jpg shooten with AWB  in 2800K LIGHT

5DMK2 TO THE LEFT AND D800 TO THE RIGHT JPG and AWB

AND a corrected RAW FROM 5DMK2

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:55:30 PM by jukka »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 19, 2012, 05:47:20 PM »
Awww so two wrongs do not make a right, because one of the wrongs has already been fixed, leaving only one wrong - the tinted LCD.

What is the point of these JPG images, with such an arbitrary subject, when obviously they are going to be impacted by other in-camera settings besides AWB (Picture Style, etc.)?

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #147 on: November 19, 2012, 05:49:04 PM »
What is the point of these JPG images, with such an arbitrary subject, when obviously they are going to be impacted by other in-camera settings besides AWB (Picture Style, etc.)?

Sounds like classic Mikael to me...so everything is status quo. ;P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: November 19, 2012, 05:49:04 PM »

jukka

« Reply #148 on: November 19, 2012, 05:49:31 PM »
Well , one is to show that 5dmk2 AWB is not better in than d800 in 2800K LIGHT and that we can agree that the LCD  from d800 and 5dmk2 are showing the pre view jpg different
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:52:16 PM by jukka »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 19, 2012, 05:54:28 PM »
Well , one is to show that 5dmk2 AWB is not better in than d800 in 2800K LIGHT

And what, exactly, does that have to do with the problem of the D800's incorrectly tinted LCD?  From what I can tell, nothing.  As I understand it, herring is popular in Scandinavian countries.  Seems like the red variety is being offered here...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: November 19, 2012, 05:54:28 PM »