April 18, 2014, 11:26:50 PM

Author Topic: Entering the world of needing a flash at darker weddings  (Read 3581 times)

RobT

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Entering the world of needing a flash at darker weddings
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 06:26:07 PM »
Thanks for all your help. I don't feel quite as overwhelmed as when I started  ;D

I think I'll go with the 468's for now. I plan to get two sets of eneloop batteries for each flash, and I think that should be more than enough as most of the events I will need these for have a large portion of the photography being done outdoors in good light.

And all that for close to $200 is very preferable to me right now. Once I have these in my arsenal I can take time to snag a good ebay deal on some 580EXII's when searching for a good deal isn't time sensitive.

I would appreciate a recommendation for an off-brand alternative to Canon's E-TTL cord though. I can foresee a few scenarios in which I'd want to move the flash off to the side, but probably not more than arm's length since my photographic style is rather active and journalistic/candid. Canon's cord is crazy expensive, but there are so many super cheap alternatives I'm not sure which one will actually perform.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 06:26:07 PM »

gilmorephoto

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • Gilmore Photography
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 07:29:17 PM »
Check out http://flashzebra.com/

Short or long... much cheaper.

Good luck with your shoot.
5D3 | 24-70mm EF f2.8L II | 40mm EF f/2.8 | 100mm EF f/2.8L | 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 07:39:37 PM »
I would appreciate a recommendation for an off-brand alternative to Canon's E-TTL cord though. I can foresee a few scenarios in which I'd want to move the flash off to the side, but probably not more than arm's length since my photographic style is rather active and journalistic/candid. Canon's cord is crazy expensive, but there are so many super cheap alternatives I'm not sure which one will actually perform.

i have a Pixel brand one off ebay it works fine, i dont use it much these days just keep in my bag for an emergency backup

maybe costs $10 or $20 on ebay or something like that
APS-H Fanboy

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 07:49:15 PM »
cheapest and very effective way of getting off camera is simply to but a long flash cord

cpsico

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 09:32:49 PM »
I won't try and talk up any knowledge of external lighting I may have.

I have none.

But what I do know is that I have a couple weddings on the books with receptions in dimly lit restaurants and the 50D has laughable ISO qualities when it gets that dark, so I'd better start learning and move away from my comfortable world of natural light.

My budget for a single flash unit and any necessary accessories is about $400, but I can go higher if need be. Currently I'm considering a 430EXII and some sort of wireless/off camera trigger and on-flash softbox.

However, anyone in this section of the forums knows more than me, so I am very open to suggestions.
a 430 wont get the job done, a 580 is much more powerful.

Freestyle222

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 10:35:18 PM »
I do about 30 weddings a year for about 10 years now. My suggestion is to get 2 580's or the new 600's...Use one to trigger the other if needed....You could get one of the big flashes and add a 430 too, but the big flashes give you master/slave but the 430 doesn't give master...But having two isn't bad since if one breaks you have a backup.....You will need 1 flash on your camera for anything that is in a darker reception room or at night, especially for people..You could also use both flashes in these scenarios as well.

Natural light is only going to get you so far during a wedding day...And with all the quicky portraits and dances during a reception you will also need the focus assist that the flash will give you depending on how dark it is. If it's dark the camera may have trouble focusing depending on how dark and what lens. You can easily trigger the 2nd flash if needed for off camera stuff.

I also use the pocket wizards with ettl and they are great but not when its darker. You lose the focus assist unless you have a speedlight on the camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 10:35:18 PM »