April 21, 2014, 04:55:00 AM

Author Topic: A Brief 2013 Canon Roadmap [CR1]  (Read 21729 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
A Brief 2013 Canon Roadmap [CR1]
« on: November 13, 2012, 07:52:12 AM »

What’s in the pipeline

As always, things quiet down after an announcement. The two recently announced lenses seem to have generated quite a bit of talk, and that’s always good, even if a lot of it was negative towards the pricing. I hope to have both the EF 24-70 f/4L IS and EF 35 f/2 IS in the hands of our new reviewer sometime in December.

EOS

Two new DSLRs will be coming in the first quarter of 2013. Most likely APS-C cameras. Definitely a Rebel and most likely one of the 70D or 7D Mark II.

EOS-M

New lenses in Q1 of 2013 will be announced. Expect a fast prime and a telephoto lens. No mentions of a new EOS-M camera. We’re all hoping for a firmware update to improve the AF of the EOS-M.

Cinema EOS

Going with some previous reports, we’re told that new Cinema EOS lenses will be announced by the end of January. No cameras are in the immediate pipeline. We’re still waiting for the EOS 1D C to make it to market as well as the EOS C100.

The Big Megapixel Camera

They’re out there, announcement is unknown. It is definitely 40+ mp and will be geared to studio and landscape photographers. Apparently there’s lots of new technology in this upcoming body.

Same info received at [CW]

cr

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 08:01:50 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

A Brief 2013 Canon Roadmap [CR1]
« on: November 13, 2012, 07:52:12 AM »

infared

• 5D Mark III
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
Re: A Brief 2013 Canon Roadmap
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 08:03:04 AM »
Can't WAIT to see the Canon price tag on the big megapixel camera...Basesd on their post-tsunami pricing it should be a WHOPPER!
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

nda

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: A Brief 2013 Canon Roadmap [CR1]
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 08:05:17 AM »
arrrgggghhhhhhh, new technology  :)  :(
canon stuff...

dolina

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 08:29:28 AM »
I hope the big megapixel camera will have built-in wifi-based features found in the CamRanger and TetherFly.
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

pakosouthpark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 08:31:07 AM »

</strong>They’re out there, announcement is unknown. It is definitely 40+ mp and will be geared to studio and landscape photographers. Apparently there’s lots of new technology in this upcoming body.</p>

lol yeah new technology for canon, ancient for other brands..

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 08:43:34 AM »

Can you please enlighten us as to what might be ancient technology for you? Are you talking about medium format or Nikon's D800? If yes, what's your point? Canon has been told not to push the megapixels for years. Nikon has been told to do the exact opposite. Both vendors reacted to the demands of their customer base.

Renzokuken

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 09:09:23 AM »
Hope technology = significant improvements in sensor architecture and design

been seeing a lot of that from competing brands like Sony and Nikon, wait Nikon's using Sony's sensor right? So I guess it's just Sony??

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 09:09:23 AM »

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 09:18:44 AM »

been seeing a lot of that from competing brands like Sony and Nikon, wait Nikon's using Sony's sensor right? So I guess it's just Sony??

Yes, as far as I know sensor technology is from Sony. Nikon is limited to provide electronics and software in addition to Sony's sensor. That must be fairly limiting on a development side (i.e. not to be able to design/control the entire setup), but Nikon is still able to provide something good in this situation, which is quite impressive.

jukka

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 09:29:31 AM »

Can you please enlighten us as to what might be ancient technology for you? Are you talking about medium format or Nikon's D800? If yes, what's your point? Canon has been told not to push the megapixels for years. Nikon has been told to do the exact opposite. Both vendors reacted to the demands of their customer base.

Canon pushed the APS to 18Mp  years ago, they can expose a 18x24  cmos surface in one piece to an reasonable price=APS APS H
No, they have not the  sensor tech and the know how to make a 24x36mm sensor with high resolution and with a modern lay out  and to a competing low price.

"Both vendors reacted to the demands of their customer base"

What you base this statement on? People are asking after higher resolution from Canon and  a 24x36mm sensor.

Et voi valehdella itseään loputtomiin

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 09:45:42 AM by jukka »

jukka

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 09:32:04 AM »

Yes, as far as I know sensor technology is from Sony. Nikon is limited to provide electronics and software in addition to Sony's sensor. That must be fairly limiting on a development side (i.e. not to be able to design/control the entire setup), but Nikon is still able to provide something good in this situation, which is quite impressive.

Nikon works together with Renesas, Aptina and Sony, the Aptina sensor in Nikon  J1, V1  has a QE who match the Sonys best column ADC  sensors.

Jesse

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 09:44:38 AM »
14-24, 50 1.4 IS, 45 and 90mm TS-E please
5D3, 8-15 f/4 L, 24-70 f/2.8 II L, 50 f/1.4, 70-200 f/4 IS L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8 L, 600EX-RT x2, CS6, LR5

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 09:44:38 AM »

For the Same sensor in Sony Cams and in Nikons... the Nikons seem to extract better DR and noise for the same analog sensor... Tells me Nikon's AD and amplification algo's are perhaps superior...

In some ways, Canon is like Intel... Nikon like AMD... AMD once beat Intel to the 1Ghz mark, caught it napping, because Intel was both arrogant and lazy... but then it came back with a Bang and AMD is still playing catch up after a decade... so there is precedence in the tech industry for catching up and reversing the lead. AMD is now slashing prices to make it's products interesting.... Nikon is already feeling the pressure and competatively pricing it's products trying to get back market share...

This year Nikon sensors have been good. Lets see what Canon brings to the table with the 0.18 uM process next year...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 03:07:40 PM by K-amps »
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

M.ST

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 09:54:05 AM »
Well all want a 70D (7D Mark II) and the big megapixel camera now and not in 2013.

And we want a EF 14-24 2.8 L now too.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 09:54:05 AM »

AdamJ

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 09:55:54 AM »
Please don't let this descend into yet another Canon sensor vs Nikon sensor debate. They've become boring and pointless.

jukka

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 10:14:11 AM »

For the Same sensor in Sony Cams and in Nikons... the Nikons seem to extract better DR and noise for the same analog sensor... Tells me Nikon's AD and amplification algo's are perhaps superior...

In some ways, Canon is like Intel... Nikon like AMD... AMD once beat Intel to the 1Ghz mark, caught it napping, because Intel was both arrogant and lazy... but then it came back with a Bang and AMD is still playing catch up after a decade... so there is precedent in the tech industry for catching up and reversing the lead. AMD is now slashing prices to make it's products interesting.... Nikon is already feeling the pressure and competatively pricing it's products trying to get back market share...

This year Nikon sensors have been good. Lets see what Canon brings to the table with the 180uM process...

Pentax are using the same 16Mp as Nikon  and K5 has a huge DR at base iso
Sony has "mirror less" cameras who are stealing lights and there can also be different CFA and micro lenses regardless if the "sensor" is the same.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 10:14:11 AM »