September 02, 2014, 05:25:56 PM

Author Topic: How do you store your gear?  (Read 30640 times)

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
Re: How do you store your gear?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 08:14:59 PM »
wow so tidy.. I've got bits and pieces all over the shop!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 08:14:59 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 12:17:44 PM »
I need to re-shoot this pic at some point, as I've replaced the Peli 1600 with a Storm im2720 (deep enough to hold the 600mm f/4L IS II), replaced the Primus AW backpack with a Flipside 300, added a Lens Trekker Pro 600 AW II, RRS tripod bags, and a few more S&F accessories.

Done...

Also, here's what my lens storage looks like (the 24-105L is not pictured, it's typically stored on the 1D X in the im2075 case).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

risc32

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 10:56:12 PM »
In my best Martin Lawrence voice- Damn Jena!

i know i'll probably get a spanking for this, but why do you guys have so much stuff? i mean, holy crap! i probably sound like some of your spouses with that question... in fact, forget i asked it.

my modest amount of gear is usually 1/2 in a pelican case with the lid open, and 1/2 on a shelving unit.

PackLight

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 11:05:37 PM »

i know i'll probably get a spanking for this, but why do you guys have so much stuff? i mean, holy crap! i probably sound like some of your spouses with that question...

Several reasons;

Were working on owning the entire collection of Canon lenses.
We want to own a Canon store some day.
The alternative to this, we want to open a rental store and compete with lensrental.com.
You never know when a dozen of your buddies will show up with their camera bodies, but forgot and left there lenses at home.
We can't decide which type of photography we want to focus on so we buy lenses and try and be good at everything.
We like looking at our gear.
Finally we have an "excessive compulsive disorder" that involves buying expensive lenses we do not need.

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 11:48:54 PM »

i know i'll probably get a spanking for this, but why do you guys have so much stuff? i mean, holy crap! i probably sound like some of your spouses with that question...

Several reasons;

Were working on owning the entire collection of Canon lenses.
We want to own a Canon store some day.
The alternative to this, we want to open a rental store and compete with lensrental.com.
You never know when a dozen of your buddies will show up with their camera bodies, but forgot and left there lenses at home.
We can't decide which type of photography we want to focus on so we buy lenses and try and be good at everything.
We like looking at our gear.
Finally we have an "excessive compulsive disorder" that involves buying expensive lenses we do not need.

These have no doubt been the reason for many of us at one time or another!

Seriously, I think there is some tech addiction involved but mostly a LOT of TIME over several years as the hobby evolves and then a lot of folks just don't like to get rid of stuff they've used heavily and love.  I know I fall into that category.  Even the stuff I'd love to get rid of I don't have the time to list and sell.

I have one pelican case (Storm or something actually) and then stuff in drawers, a fireproof gun safe and unfortunately on tables, in rolling carts, etc.  I use much of it every day or two so it just doesn't get put away like it should.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

Sony

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 12:34:57 AM »
I need to re-shoot this pic at some point, as I've replaced the Peli 1600 with a Storm im2720 (deep enough to hold the 600mm f/4L IS II), replaced the Primus AW backpack with a Flipside 300, added a Lens Trekker Pro 600 AW II, RRS tripod bags, and a few more S&F accessories.

Done...

Also, here's what my lens storage looks like (the 24-105L is not pictured, it's typically stored on the 1D X in the im2075 case).
I have 100% the same but in dream.

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 01:19:21 AM »
Interesting to see that sometimes the lens is stored in the case with lensbarrel down and sometimes up. Why?
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 01:19:21 AM »

M.ST

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 01:21:27 AM »
Looks like my gear, but I have more of the bigger Peli Cases in grey.

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 01:31:03 AM »
I've outgrown a single case...   ;)

Neuro, I love reading your posts. If you don't reply to something on CR with solid info, then it shouldn't count as a thread. Nice collection. That's awesome!
I just ordered something like this. I'm in China and I got one on TaoBao(Chinese eBay) for around 100 bucks.
http://www.totechamerica.com/optics/optical_grade_cabinets_24.php
Where I live(Chongqing) is very wet(i'm about 100m from the YangTze River) and EXTREMELY dusty. There is about 50 skyscrapers under construction within 2 miles of my house(maybe 100) and there is an incredible amount of construction dust. Chongqing is an insane place to live.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

sheedoe

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2012, 01:31:58 AM »
How do YOU peoples store all your hard earned gear :P
Here's me ;)

Sort of like you, but I use the pick n pluck foam.

Canon- 5D II x2 | 70D | 8-15mm f4L Fisheye | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 24mm f/1.4L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 85mm f/1.2L II |100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 600EX-RT x3 | 580EX II | ST-E3 RT | EOS M w/22mm Lens | Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | GH4

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 01:54:35 AM »
You guys are so GOOD! It takes patience and discipline to pack gear so neatly. Maybe it's a hangover from many years in the rough and tumble of shooting daily news, but I'm messy. You know how teenagers prefer the Floordrobe to the Wardrobe for their clothes...do you get the picture?

Looking over my shoulder at the sofa in my studio I see there is no room to sit. I can't see the table top for Einsteins, dishes, bodies and lenses. Sigh. That's my storage. But it's a mess I understand.

But on the road it's a different matter. Military level discipline. Big soft bags or backpacks for bodies & lenses and custom road-cases for lighting equipment. Ones that will tolerate airline baggage handlers in their sweetest moments. Stands & tripods go into Lightgear bags. For flights the tripod (with slim ball head) slips into a very strong PVC pipe (plumbing pipe) with the screw on caps. An elephant could sit on that.

Light and strong...that's the travel storage mantra but the rest of the time I admit there is some room for improvement.

-PW

lukemike

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 07:59:44 AM »
A bit off topic but I will still ask.
I remember reading somewhere that it is better to store the lens upright ('standing' on the front element) rather than on the side. That would actually make sense.
If I was to store my lenses for longer I always stored them standing. Is there actually any recommendation from the manufacturers not to leave the lenses lying on one side for longer?
Thanks

risc32

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 08:34:08 AM »
I've heard about storing your mechanical cameras with their shutters cocked -vs- uncocked, but never a thought of storing a lens on it's side -vs- standing on it's end. With my 3 little boys i would never stand something on it's end unless it was in my case, or i wanted it to break. I'll have to gather my gear a bit for a shot.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 08:34:08 AM »

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2012, 09:18:40 AM »
Guys just give me one of ur lenses im sure some are only collecting dust!

My little equipment is on a board on the wall. My 1100d+ lens is in my small bag and sometimes i put a 2nd lens in my bag. I never bring too much gear to keep myself creative enough to make the best use out of what i got. (TBH im just too poor to get much equipment  8) )

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 03:30:41 PM »
In my safe at my store.  Can't seem to get the photo (iPad2) to post right side up.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 03:36:14 PM by Daniel Flather »
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100 macro | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 03:30:41 PM »