November 23, 2014, 12:54:39 AM

Author Topic: Advice 5d3, wide angle  (Read 20135 times)

AudioGlenn

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Advice 5d3, wide angle
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2012, 01:49:20 AM »
There is absolutely zero comparison between the 14 and the 17TS-E, they are so different anybody not sure which they need doesn't need either, seriously.

The 14mm is severely compromised in IQ, but gives amazing fov and very good AF and yes you do need to focus a 14mm. It really shines for things like skateboarding, snowboarding, and other moving and dynamic subjects.

The 17 is a very different tool for a very different job, it can be shift stitched to give the fov of an 11mm lens with a close to 50mp sensored image, it has the independently configurable tilt and shift so can be used well for interiors, architecture and landscapes, in landscape format but also in portrait format. It has practically no compromises in image quality but it is a pain in the butt to use with filters, probably the biggest drawback of the lens (plus the stupidly big gearing on the tilt movement).

They are both very good lenses with tons of creative possibilities but anybody wishing to choose between the two as a next purchase that doesn't know what they need, would be very well advised to rent both at the same time for a long weekend, one will live on your camera, buy that one.

whoah...slow down there guy.  obviously, I'm not sure what I need at this point.  take a deep breathe.

Yes, I like UWA angle shots.  I actually like the distortion of an ultra wide angle.  I'm curious about the the TS-E and it's flexibility and sharpness.  I like having AF so the 16-35 and 14mm prime are candidates as well.  We're looking at $2k give or take a few hundred dollars.  After my latest purchases, I won't be buying anything for a while (unless I can find a way to buy my wife another Louis Vuitton AND get her to agree on another lens purchase!  hahaha) 

I agree I should probably go and rent/borrow.  Heck, I might want the 8-15 fisheye!  I really don't know.... hence my inquiry under the forum topic "Advice 5D3, wide angle".

LOL.  I laughed hard at the part when you have to get your wife a LV bag so you can get another lens.  It's virtually the same for me.   ;D

Haha.  I knew I wasn't the only one who had to run these types/size of purchases through the "boss"! 
5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2012, 01:49:20 AM »

@!ex

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2012, 02:43:17 AM »

my bad.  your points are valid and very much appreciated.

how does one de-fish?  is a separate plug in needed?  ( I use Aperture).  Is it built into Lightroom?

There are many different software options and they all remap your image differently. My most used one is Image Trends Fisheye Hemi, very basic control but it remaps the edges particularly well especially when there are people towards the edge of the frame, they have an Aperture Plugin too. Lightroom does a good job sometimes, but crops heavily, DxO Optics has a very good tool but I hate their software, Hugin and PTLens are others. I used to use a very badly interfaced program that was so powerful you could remap the canvas to the pixel dimensions you wanted but OS support for that went a long time ago so I had forgotten it.

Give them a try, you will be amazed at how flexible a fisheye can be. This might be of interest http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/lenses/canon_ef8-15f4l.html

Hope it all helps.

Fuck.

Now I need the 8-15.  You bastard.

@!ex

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2012, 02:55:44 PM »

Fuck.

Now I need the 8-15.  You bastard.

Always glad to help  :)

I actually have the 17TS-E for high end real estate interiors, but if I know the image is only a filler and not a brochure leading headliner then I will often shoot the 15mm and de-fish. But don't tell anybody, it is my secret!!

Once it is defished, what is the resolution (pixel x pixel)? Do you by chance have a full res shot you could link to, for science?  Thanks in advance.

BrianPowell

« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2012, 09:21:51 PM »
in six page of replies has anyone asked the OP what he shoots?? 
Budget is a consideration, but what do you shoot the most?   

I think a lot of shooters have owned either the 17-40 or the 16-35, but not both... so there is some bias in those recommendations  :)

I shoot mostly weddings, but some other portraits and events, etc.  I've had the 16-35mm v2 on my 5D (2 and 3) for a long time, and shoot mostly weddings.   Most of my all time fave images were at the 16 end of that lens!   see http://www.brianpowell.info for examples.

There is a difference from 16-17mm, and it is noticeable.  Also, if you want to shoot under f5.6 or so, your IQ will in fact be better on the 16-35.    I love it and shoot all over the range, depending on the ambient light.  It's a perfect length for weddings because 16 is dramatically wide on a FF (pulling in sky on outdoor shots)  and at 35mm I can take full length portraits or group shots.    For journalistic coverage (dance floor, prep shots, etc.) I'm usually pretty wide.    It's on the remote camera in the balcony for the ceremony.   It does it all!  When I travel, it's my landscape lens.

I've owned the 24-105 f4, and the new 24mm TS-E for a while.  The only other wide angle I'd want, and it's on my wish list, is the 14mm rectilinear  :)   Looks superb.

So what do you shoot?

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2012, 11:41:39 AM »
I am happy to post full res files but need a suggestion on where to do it.

I'd be interested in the quality loss to - upload full size jpeg to minus.com or abload.de if you happen to speak German, then you can link directly to it. If you want to share the raw files use any sharehoster like rapidshare or one of the trillions of clones.

@!ex

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2012, 04:07:46 PM »
I am happy to post full res files but need a suggestion on where to do it.

I'd be interested in the quality loss to - upload full size jpeg to minus.com or abload.de if you happen to speak German, then you can link directly to it. If you want to share the raw files use any sharehoster like rapidshare or one of the trillions of clones.

Here is a link to these three images as full sizeed jpegs. http://minus.com/lbu1riruvU4Q4l

I posted this picture as an example because with all the straight lines it very clearly shows what each program actually does. I have done nothing to any of them other than run CA adjustments.

This subject is not a good demonstration of corner detail though as it was handheld in not ideal light, I'll hunt through my files to try to find something a bit more relevant to that aspect.

I am pretty particular but am still happy with 14"x21" prints from defished images when shot carefully.

Thanks for the links.  I guess what I meant by resolution loss, is how much do you lose to the black vignetting that happens at 8mm on FF (or any other focal length beside 15mm).  Seems like it is a pretty substantial portion of the sensor, but the effect you can get might make it worth it...

AudioGlenn

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2012, 04:32:50 PM »
So..... I ordered an 8-15mm fisheye!!!!!! 

B&H had a great deal ($1139+ free overnight shipping).  It arrives on Christmas Eve before 1030 a.m.
5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2012, 04:32:50 PM »