July 28, 2014, 06:56:32 PM

Author Topic: Need filter suggestions - Ordered Canon 100mm f2.8 L macro  (Read 5143 times)

knkedlaya

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/knkedlaya
Re: Need filter suggestions - Ordered Canon 100mm f2.8 L macro
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 12:19:46 AM »
+1 for B&W.  I havent seen difference in the image quality with or without it in my use. So I mount it on lens all the time. This was not the case with my earlier Tamron 90mm(now broken) and a locally made filter, I stopped using that filter.
I go early mornings for taking photos, and there are times when dew drops falls on the lens, having a filter is much safer I feel. You dont have to touch the front glass but only the filter.
Naveena
8FPS, Macro F2.8 L, couple of more lenses, small flash MKI and a customised flash bracket.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 12:19:46 AM »

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 01:03:16 AM »
This is a lifelong 'tastes great / less filling' debate topic.

My vote:  +1 on B+W UV filters, unless a CPL is needed (in which case I swap them).  Strongly recommend a CPL for macro, but less for color or exposure, and more for managing reflections in droplets of water, glare from leaves, etc.  You should have a CPL for that lens in general non-macro use as well.  (It's a fully functional 100 prime, right?)

My UV Rationale:

1) It's cheap lens insurance at zero IQ cost.  Filters protect the front element from damage.  Unless you are buying very cheap lenses, even pricey filters are cheaper to replace than lenses are to repair.

2) When air or a microfiber are not enough, I am far more comfortable cleaning filters with that ROR liquid than using that stuff on lens elements.

3) I don't like having to remember if the L lens I'm using has weather sealing that is filter-dependent or not, so they just all get filters.  Easy.

4) Hoods sit in my bag.  I have a 100% VF and have (I suppose) decent discipline with sun placement in the frame, and three of my lenses' hoods are nightmare to use with CPLs.  However, if I was using a hood, perhaps I'd shoot with naked lenses.

About the only time I have naked lens elements is when I use my Lee 4x6 ND grads (i.e. way less than 1% of the time).  That system requires adaptor rings -- a screw-in like a filter (but no glass on it) with a metal outrigger to receive the big frame to hold the rectangular ND grads.  As I don't like stacking filters (annoying for threading/unthreading reasons), if I go ND grad it's a sort-of-naked lens in that dust/water can touch the lens, but the 4x6 serves as a physical barrier for drops, impact, finger contact, etc.

- A

« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 03:25:16 PM by ahsanford »

leftnose

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 01:59:27 PM »
I'm in the camp where I generally put UV filters on all my lenses.

With the 100L Macro, I especially felt the need for a UV filter because of the hugely deep lens hood.  Even with an aftermarket center-pinch lens cap, I find dealing with the lens cap when the hood is installed very difficult.  Even though I have fairly large hands, I manage to drop the filter quite often and I got tired of bouncing the lens cap off the front element.

As to which filter?  The B+W MRC 010 that everyone else has recommended is what I have installed.  I'm a bit weird and put B+W MRC filters on all my primes but Hoya S-HMC on all my zooms.  Don't ask me why.  I don't know!

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 02:07:11 PM »
I ordered a 100mm 2.8 L lens and should be picking up from the store tomorrow. I am planning to use this lens for Macro and Portraits. I use Hood on my other lenses at all times which I plan to do with the new lens as well.

Please suggest what filters I need for Macro and portrait. I do have a Marumi CP (77mm) that I use on my other 2 lens (77mm and 67 mm with a step down/up ring).

Thanks in advance.

B&W MRC UV filters

B&W Kaesemann Circular Polarizer's

The best filters for the best lenses. I trust the germans engineering every little detail of these filters.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 02:08:43 PM by RLPhoto »

bkorcel

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 02:16:21 PM »
Why would you want to put a filter on such a fine lens?  If you are going to use a filter, save some $$$ and buy the non-L version instead.

leftnose

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 02:22:26 PM »
Just as an FWIW, I've been told that the MRC Kaesemann circular polarizers are optically identical to the standard MRC circular polarizers.  The difference is the construction.  The Kaesemann filters are simply sealed around the edge to protect the polarizing foil against humidity and other environmental conditions.

So, if you live in and never leave the desert, a standard MRC polarizer might be money better spent.

At least, that's what I've been told.

crasher8

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 02:22:41 PM »
I put a B/W clear mrc filter on my 100 Macro. Why? I shoot 1-4 inches from my subjects occasionally getting poked and scraped by branches and twigs and whatnot. A hood just doesn't always cut it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 02:22:41 PM »

leftnose

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 02:23:42 PM »
Why would you want to put a filter on such a fine lens?  If you are going to use a filter, save some $$$ and buy the non-L version instead.
Optically, there isn't a heck of a lot of difference between the L and non-L 100 macros.  The main difference is IS and build quality.  So, if you're going to argue that the OP shouldn't put a filter in front of the -L lens for reasons of IQ, you should argue the same thing about the non-L.

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 02:25:39 PM »
Just as an FWIW, I've been told that the MRC Kaesemann circular polarizers are optically identical to the standard MRC circular polarizers.  The difference is the construction.  The Kaesemann filters are simply sealed around the edge to protect the polarizing foil against humidity and other environmental conditions.

So, if you live in and never leave the desert, a standard MRC polarizer might be money better spent.

At least, that's what I've been told.

Product Highlights - From B&H photo
Helps to Eliminate Reflections and Glare
Reduces Haze and Blue Cast in Landscapes
Greater Color and Tonal Saturation
High Efficiency Kaesemann Foils <------------------------------Exclusive
MRC Multi-Resistant Coating
Rugged Brass Filter Ring
High Quality Schott Glass

"Kaesemann-type filters feature greater optical efficiency than regular polarizing foils and are more neutral in color. The polarizing foils are cemented between plano-parallel optical glass layers, which are then precision-polished to achieve the most accurate plano-parallel surface. This edge sealing protects the filter layers from humidity and are ideal for use with high-speed telephoto and apochromatic lenses."

I've noticed that they don't cool my image as much as the standard B&W polarizers. Its more neutral.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 02:26:03 PM »
I put a B/W clear mrc filter on my 100 Macro. Why? I shoot 1-4 inches from my subjects occasionally getting poked and scraped by branches and twigs and whatnot. A hood just doesn't always cut it.

+1, and for me it's even more true with the MP-E 65mm.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bkorcel

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 04:11:55 PM »
True but you will spend a lot less money!!!  Why hinder the optical quality of the L glass with something that will affect IQ either in distortion or reflection.  Isnt that why we buy L glass in the first place?

This argument will go on for years but my opinion is don't use filters unless you need to such as working in damp or sandy areas where you need the protection.

Optically, there isn't a heck of a lot of difference between the L and non-L 100 macros.  The main difference is IS and build quality.  So, if you're going to argue that the OP shouldn't put a filter in front of the -L lens for reasons of IQ, you should argue the same thing about the non-L.

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2012, 03:29:29 PM »

I needed a new 77mm CPL and instead of the normal B+W MRC, I got the Kaesemann as the prices were shockingly the same.  I hope the 'sealing' doesn't make them more annoying to screw in or use, as I love my 58mm B+W MRC CPL. 

But it is rumored to be just that slight bit better than what I've been using, and it was the same price.  Why not give it a try?

- A

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 10:27:34 PM »

IS and focus speed. you can do handheld macro photography.... i tried the L and the non-L version on butterflies in flight.... only the L version came away with sharp and in-focus pictures

Also, while the lens hood is great for non-macro work, it is too big for macro. It blocks light on extreme closeups and can scare away insects...

The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 10:27:34 PM »

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2012, 04:20:34 PM »
Dont use a filter on any L glass unless you need to use a polarizer.  Filters generally degrade IQ even if ever so slightly.  I would not buy an L lens if you prefer to have a filter in front of it.  YOu're not taking advantage of everything the lens has to offer.

I ordered a 100mm 2.8 L lens and should be picking up from the store tomorrow. I am planning to use this lens for Macro and Portraits. I use Hood on my other lenses at all times which I plan to do with the new lens as well.

Please suggest what filters I need for Macro and portrait. I do have a Marumi CP (77mm) that I use on my other 2 lens (77mm and 67 mm with a step down/up ring).

Thanks in advance.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 04:21:54 PM »
Dont use a filter on any L glass unless you need to use a polarizer.  Filters generally degrade IQ even if ever so slightly.  I would not buy an L lens if you prefer to have a filter in front of it.  YOu're not taking advantage of everything the lens has to offer.

I'll just point out that in some cases (16-35L II, 17-40L, 50L), Canon specifically states that a filter is required to complete the dust/weather sealing for the lens.  Also, all of the uber expensive supertelephoto lenses (300/2.8 and up) have a drop in filter slot, and Canon states that a filter is part of the optical design so the glass insert should be left in the holder. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 04:24:54 PM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 04:21:54 PM »