October 20, 2014, 06:05:40 AM

Author Topic: 5D3 lens correction profiles - only jpg?  (Read 5236 times)

florianbieler.de

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • florianbieler.de photography
5D3 lens correction profiles - only jpg?
« on: November 14, 2012, 10:16:56 AM »
Hello thar!

I did not use the lens correction built into the camera for now, but I have a question. Does it only apply to pics shot in jpg or also in RAW? I know that you can edit Raws directly on the camera regarding vignetting n stuff, could I also use the profiles of the lens correction for that or is it done manually?

Or in other words, does the lens correction do ANYTHING if i only shoot in raw?
EOS 5D Mark III · EF 16-35 4.0L IS · Σ 35 1.4 · Σ 85 1.4 · EF 70-200 4.0L IS · T 150-600 VC
EOS M · EF-M 22 2.0 · florianbieler.de

canon rumors FORUM

5D3 lens correction profiles - only jpg?
« on: November 14, 2012, 10:16:56 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 5D3 lens correction profiles - only jpg?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 10:22:52 AM »

In terms of the images themselves, all it does is set flags in the metadata that DPP recognizes, and it would then apply those corrections on your computer.  If you use another RAW converter, then the in-camera corrections will not do anything to the RAW image.  They will be applied to the JPG preview image that's embedded in the RAW file, though, and it's that JPG that you see during image review on the camera (and also the histogram data, although lens corrections shouldn't affect that, Picture Style, ALO, etc., do).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 10:07:52 PM »

In terms of the images themselves, all it does is set flags in the metadata that DPP recognizes, and it would then apply those corrections on your computer.  If you use another RAW converter, then the in-camera corrections will not do anything to the RAW image.  They will be applied to the JPG preview image that's embedded in the RAW file, though, and it's that JPG that you see during image review on the camera (and also the histogram data, although lens corrections shouldn't affect that, Picture Style, ALO, etc., do).

I tried to verify that DPP made the corrections based on flagged settings, but could not confirm that with my 5D MK III.  Corrections were turned on in camera, but DPP did not apply the corrections to the raw files.
I manually applied them, and then the size of the cr2 file more than doubled after I saved it.
The corrections were applied to jpg out of camera images without any noticible increase in file size.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 11:38:35 PM »
Does LR4 not recognise that metadata?
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 02:49:27 AM »
No, it does not recognize if the lens correction is turned on in camera.  It does not see the lens correction data that DPP adds to the CR2 file.
LR4 has its own lens correction data which can be applied automatically, or just for images you want.  It is not saved to the cr2 file.

THX723

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 07:21:42 PM »

I tried to verify that DPP made the corrections based on flagged settings, but could not confirm that with my 5D MK III.  Corrections were turned on in camera, but DPP did not apply the corrections to the raw files.
I manually applied them, and then the size of the cr2 file more than doubled after I saved it.
The corrections were applied to jpg out of camera images without any noticible increase in file size.
Two different things being discussed and need further clarification ...

1. Basic lens correction
Corrects for vignetting and chromatic aberration. Supported in-camera for JPEG or through DPP software as post. The same corrected JPEG is also embedded to RAW, if shooting in that mode, as well as being flagged.

2. Digital Lens Optimizer (DLO)
Advanced correction using sophisticated reverse optics transfer algorithm. Supported through post-processing using DPP software and only compatible with RAW files (no JPEG). Optimization data is non-destructive and appended to the original RAW file, which may more than double in size. For that reason, it is transparent to third-party RAW processors (e.g. Adobe Light Room).

Note, it's not possible to use both 1 and 2. The two are mutually exclusive.

OP and Neuro was referring to #1.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 08:07:36 PM by THX723 »

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 07:33:46 PM »

1. Basic lens correction
Corrects for vignetting and chromatic aberration. Supported in-camera for JPEG or through DPP software as post. The same correct JPEG is also embedded to RAW, if shooting in that mode, as well as being flagged.

2. Digital Lens Optimizer (DLO)
Supported through post-process only through DPP software and with RAW files (no JPEG). Optimization data is non-destructive and appended to the original RAW file, which may more than double in the size. Note, it's not possible to use both 1 and 2. The two are mutually exclusive.

OP and Neuro was referring to #1.
Thanks for clarifing that.  I am always happy to learn.  I was under the impression that the in camera correction was the same as DLO.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 07:33:46 PM »

THX723

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 07:41:39 PM »
Thanks for clarifing that.  I am always happy to learn.  I was under the impression that the in camera correction was the same as DLO.
That'll be the day ... DLO baked into the camera!
You can bet it'll happen eventually though. Perhaps during the DIGIC X generation. We can all hope.  8)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 07:47:10 PM by THX723 »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 08:14:26 PM »
That'll be the day ... DLO baked into the camera!
You can bet it'll happen eventually though. Perhaps during the DIGIC X generation. We can all hope.  8)

Yea, it'll let us send the camera & specific lens we own off to Canon to generate a custom profile for that body + lens combination. Low low fee of $1500 with 5-business day turnaround for CPA platinum, the rest of us wait in line :P

Or FoCal will figure it out and give it to us for $200 perpetual software license for that camera body, and let us print out our own targets.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 08:24:38 PM »
No, it does not recognize if the lens correction is turned on in camera.  It does not see the lens correction data that DPP adds to the CR2 file.
LR4 has its own lens correction data which can be applied automatically, or just for images you want.  It is not saved to the cr2 file.
This might be stupid question so let me begin by apologize. I am using LR4 and applying the lens correction profile there for my RAW files. I shoot with 5D3 and L lenses. Would I need to do something else that you're talking about for lens correction or shouldn't this be enough? I am happy with the end results at least.

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 11:31:54 PM »
This might be stupid question so let me begin by apologize. I am using LR4 and applying the lens correction profile there for my RAW files. I shoot with 5D3 and L lenses. Would I need to do something else that you're talking about for lens correction or shouldn't this be enough? I am happy with the end results at least.
The Lightroom corrections are pretty good, so are the DXO corrections.  The Canon DLO corrections are said to be able to do a slightly better job, but you must use DPP and download the lens correction profile.  Its only available for certain lenses, and not for non Canon lenses.
If you save the corrections to the CR2 file, it gets huge, so its best to save the finished image as a jpeg.
I also just use Lightroom.

mirekti

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 11:46:33 PM »

I guess I'm a bit slow cos I don't get how to set this preset in LR.
Let's say I wanted to download 100 images from the camera and they were taken with different lenses.
What would the workflow in LR be in order to download all 100 images and automatically apply lens correction to the images?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 11:50:42 PM by mirekti »
M240 | 35mm FLE | 75mm Cron | 135mm APO

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 12:29:45 AM »
ox?
The Lightroom corrections are pretty good, so are the DXO corrections.  The Canon DLO corrections are said to be able to do a slightly better job, but you must use DPP and download the lens correction profile.  Its only available for certain lenses, and not for non Canon lenses.
If you save the corrections to the CR2 file, it gets huge, so its best to save the finished image as a jpeg.
I also just use Lightroom.

Ah thanks, might try the DPP and download the lens correction profiles, but if I save it to the cr2 file in DPP, can I pick it up in LR and continue editing? Would you think it's worth the extra work as opposed to just do it all in LR?

@mirekti, wouldn't you just select all files in the Develop mode and there tick the Enable Profile Corrections box?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 12:29:45 AM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 12:38:20 AM »

Ah thanks, might try the DPP and download the lens correction profiles, but if I save it to the cr2 file in DPP, can I pick it up in LR and continue editing? Would you think it's worth the extra work as opposed to just do it all in LR?

@mirekti, wouldn't you just select all files in the Develop mode and there tick the Enable Profile Corrections box?

No, LR won't be able to recognize the lens corrections done by DPP.  You need to export it from DPP as JPEG or TIFF then edit it with LR if you want to further edit the picture.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 12:38:20 AM »