August 27, 2014, 01:26:06 PM

Author Topic: First 6D review up - does [KR] read [CR] ?  (Read 10457 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
First 6D review up - does [KR] read [CR] ?
« on: November 14, 2012, 12:07:09 PM »
If you enjoy a good laugh, check out what pops up when you google "canon 6d review" - it's the busy bee "Mr. JPEG" Ken R0ckwell (if that guy exists at all and isn't a front for a clever team) that knows how search engines work, so no "hands on" here though it really is a "no hands on" review:

www. kenrockwell. com/canon/6d.htm
www. kenrockwell. com/canon/6d/vs-5d-mark-iii.htm

Actually he has a point when he states that the specs of the 6d are made to upsell the 5d3 to "rich people". But he seems to read this site because he enjoys contradicting some things that are eternal common knowledge here, so esp. the 5d vs 6d is worth checking out :-> ... just that the 5d isn't $3500 anymore, but he didn't notice that.

The 6D has a simpler AF system. You may prefer either; gearheads will prefer the 5D Mark III.
The Canon 6D adds an eight-way up/down/left/right control to the big rear control dial, and thus eliminates the need for the old thumb nubbin.
Top shutter and sync speeds are the same. No one uses 1/4,000, much less 1/8,000, so the 5D Mark III having 1/8,000 makes no difference in actual shooting.
Yes, there are many minor differences in the sensors and shutters as I'll outline below, but these are designed merely to help upsell innocent rich amateurs to the 5D Mark III; they aren't different enough for a real photographer or someone without a spare $1,400 lying around to blow on camera bodies to worry about.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 12:15:10 PM by Marsu42 »

DanielW

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: First 6D review up - does [KR] read [CR] ?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 02:25:04 PM »
I had read this already; he wrote it in September, when I think the cost was really ~ $3,500.
Don't you like it? I think it's great! The guy really speaks his mind! Some (many?) may not like him, but it can't be said that he doesn't stand for what he thinks. (May I say that more often than not I agree with him or had I better not?)
Well, even though it's not a real review yet, just some specs-based opinion, I like the bottom message: better specs doesn't necessarily matter that much. Something like "stop saying it's crap just because of inferior specs".
Can't wait for real in-depth reviews, though.
:)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 02:29:14 PM »
Some (many?) may not like him, but it can't be said that he doesn't stand for what he thinks. (May I say that more often than not I agree with him or had I better not?)

No, it can't.  But what he thinks and therefore what he stands for is about as consistent as the ocean during a storm.  So if you agree with him today, that may not be the case tomorrow, unless you change you mind like you change your shirt.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 02:30:02 PM »
Don't you like it? I think it's great! The guy really speaks his mind!

I used to think the exact same thing, but over time I have to agree with others and concede that KR just doesn't get the facts straight (this is an updated 6d "review", the first was simply factually wrong in some parts) and even his hardcore amateur approach isn't consistent. So now I just admire his (their?) marketing skills, and don't forget to support his growing family :-)

jfretless

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 02:43:45 PM »
Why the zero in the links?  Don't want to inadvertently help KR rise to the top of the searches?

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 02:46:02 PM »
Why the zero in the links?  Don't want to inadvertently help KR rise to the top of the searches?

Got it in one :-) ... outbound links from a large site with Canon content to KR are worth a lot of money because of the way google works - if I set them (even from the forum), I want a free 5d3  ... no, wait, I'd be even ok with a 6d!

PackLight

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 02:57:33 PM »
I don't understand why KR gets so much negative press.
With his enlightened wisdom he has guided many amatures in his spray and pray ways.

He is truley the Chuck Norris of camera reviewers.

DanielW

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 03:01:22 PM »
Some (many?) may not like him, but it can't be said that he doesn't stand for what he thinks. (May I say that more often than not I agree with him or had I better not?)

No, it can't.  But what he thinks and therefore what he stands for is about as consistent as the ocean during a storm.  So if you agree with him today, that may not be the case tomorrow, unless you change you mind like you change your shirt.

Oh, I do change my shirt daily and my pajamas once a week!
I guess I just like his "have fun with what you have" line of thought, even though I'd give an arm for a 5D mIII with a 24-70 mII. (Oh, wait, I'd rather have both arms to shoot with it... Hm, a toe, maybe?)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 04:16:13 PM by DanielW »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 03:03:46 PM »
He is truley the Chuck Norris of camera reviewers.

Or perhaps the Austin Powers..."Judo CHOP!"
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 03:09:30 PM »

I think Rocky has taken too many punches.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 03:47:05 PM »
The guy has figured out how to make a living off of photography and internet. I admire that, as it's no easy task.

His writing is entertaining and he manages to get people to go to his site, even though it's probably one of the ugliest sites on the internet. No frills. Candidly, I much prefer his down-to-earth, don't-confuse-me-with-the-details, cut-to-the-chase approach than many of the pompous pseudo-artiste Ansel-Adams-Wannabes out there.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 04:51:54 PM »

Top shutter and sync speeds are the same. No one uses 1/4,000, much less 1/8,000, so the 5D Mark III having 1/8,000 makes no difference in actual shooting.

That is one of the more silly things I've heard him say. And that's saying something. I use 1/4,000 and 1/8,000 quite often, Mr. Ken.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

Ben Taylor

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 05:28:30 PM »
Indeed, I wonder if he's tried shooting at f/1.4 on a bright day. Surely shooting at 1/8000 is easier than attaching and detaching an ND filter every time the light changes.
5D Mark III  | 5D Mark II  |  Samyang 14mm f/2.8  | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L  |  Sigma 85mm f/1.4L  |  Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II  | Canon 2X Extender III  |  Canon 580 EX II  | RRS TVC 34L + RRS BH55 LR                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 08:22:51 PM »
I checked 40K of my images, only 19 are at 1/8000, so for some, its not a frequent thing. 

I do agree that some who do a lot of very bright day outdoor photography may hit that limit fairly often.

cocopop05

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 07:23:36 AM »
Ken Rockwell is good in that he is very direct and speaks his mind.  He is not o good in that his mind does not always give the best advise. 

He tends to oversimplify things and shuts off options to readers.

Example:
He wrote in his 5D Mark III review that you should not touch Microfocus Adjustment as you will only make the autofocus worse. 

I purchased the 5D Mark III kit, it is my first DSLR.  The autofocus seemed not quite right (not far off mind you).  I am a novice and did the calibration using the EOS utility method, I discovered at all focal lengths my system was out by 5 points.  I simply entered the +5 microadjustment over the whole lens and now is it pin sharp almost every time.

I always take what Ken Rockwell says with a grain of salt.