September 15, 2014, 11:16:51 PM

Author Topic: Best Lens for photographing children  (Read 12240 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Best Lens for photographing children
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 10:31:54 PM »
I took my almost 5 year-old daughter to her gymnastics class a couple of weeks ago.  My wife asked me to email her a pic during the class, so I held up my iPhone and caught a well-timed pic of her hanging from an uneven bar. The guy next to me looked over at the iPhone 'shutter click' and said, "If you want to get an actually decent pic, you need a real camera." He reached into his bag and pulled out his T2i with an EF-S 55-250mm mounted, and gave me a little grin.  I grinned back and replied, "You know, it's really more about composition and timing than about gear."  He took some shots, well-spaced since the popup flash was firing (despite the kids being out of its effective range) as I watched the kids.  When mine started a bounce down the trampoline track a few minutes later, I was unable to resist.  I looked over and said as I reached down, "Ever seen Crocodile Dundee? 'That's not a camera...that's a camera,'" as I pulled out my 1D X with the 70-200 II and fired off a 12 fps burst.

True story.  ;)

(1D X, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II @ 200mm, 1/500 s, f/2.8, ISO 10000)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 10:31:54 PM »

Eugene

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 11:08:28 PM »
Well said  ;)
DSLR: 60D, 24-105 F4L, 50mm 1.4, 580 Ex II
Compacts: X100, ZX-1

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 12:10:42 AM »
Depends on how you move around, I have two girls 7 and 10, and they move around alot. Inside I like the 35L if I can get close enough. But for this purpose (and others) I sometimes wish I had the 135L also from what I've read on this forum.

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 12:11:34 AM »
I took my almost 5 year-old daughter to her gymnastics class a couple of weeks ago.  My wife asked me to email her a pic during the class, so I held up my iPhone and caught a well-timed pic of her hanging from an uneven bar. The guy next to me looked over at the iPhone 'shutter click' and said, "If you want to get an actually decent pic, you need a real camera." He reached into his bag and pulled out his T2i with an EF-S 55-250mm mounted, and gave me a little grin.  I grinned back and replied, "You know, it's really more about composition and timing than about gear."  He took some shots, well-spaced since the popup flash was firing (despite the kids being out of its effective range) as I watched the kids.  When mine started a bounce down the trampoline track a few minutes later, I was unable to resist.  I looked over and said as I reached down, "Ever seen Crocodile Dundee? 'That's not a camera...that's a camera,'" as I pulled out my 1D X with the 70-200 II and fired off a 12 fps burst.

True story.  ;)

Childish but fun!

Promature

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 01:29:17 AM »
FF 5D3 is the camera. ... I am trying for tight shots of their face or at most them interacting with an object or another kid.

Have to say...I read that, and I immediately think 135mm f/2L.  It's just about the perfect lens for tight portraits on FF. 

You might have the issue with people stepping in front, but even awareness of your presence won't prevent that.

If you are taking inside shots though, the 85 1.8 might be a good choice too.  Depends on the house layout, but I'd be afraid that the 135 might not let me get enough in the frame.  At least with the 85 you can always crop down.
70D, 10-22mm, 24-105mm f4, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 70-200 f2.8, 430EXII

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 01:36:36 AM »

I also have a 70-200 zoom, but that just scares the kids and I can't run around the place as easily with the monster zoom :)

My wife does the photos for one of the daycare centres in our neighbourhood, and the setup she has been using until now is a gripped 5DII, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II and 580EXII.  (The 5DII has just been relegated to backup duty.)

To reduce the "scare factor" of the big white lens she made an owl with big round eyes that fits around the end of the lens - the front element/hood is the owl's tummy.  It looks quite amusing, and the kids love it.  She forgot the owl on the first morning's shooting this year, and one little girl actually remembered it, and asked what had happened to it!  After lunch, owl was back on duty. ;-)

What helps your mobility with the big white lens is a shoulder strap (like a BlackRapid) which allows you to have the camera hanging at your side.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

codewizpt

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Raimundinha
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 06:11:45 AM »
I bought the 35L and the Gary Fong LightSphere when my daughter was born and it's my home kit.
Outside I use the 135L, but I'm thinking in buying the 85mm to complete
35L | 50 | 135L
Blog
flickr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 06:11:45 AM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 07:37:44 PM »

True story.  ;)

Since I know more or less the equipment you use I started laughing before even reaching at the end of this post  ;D

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2012, 03:50:51 AM »
I even wonder how someone with a Rebel and non L lens thinks about showing off their gear. I dont like showing off too highend gear but at least its somewhat reasonable.
Must have been a case of "See what a BIG LENS i got!" Im sure u get the analogy ^-^

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2012, 04:10:30 AM »
Check my setup in the signature, I 75% of images are of kids in the younger than 5 years..

I love the 24, 35 for laying on the floor when they play. Outside i also use those two for the most. The 50 gets a lot of use always, and equal the 85. I can't really see me using anything else... the closer the better. I don't like a 300 to "not interfere" and shoot from a distance, because first off, you often loose the connection to the subject, and second, you isolate the subject, whilst I found setting and surroundings where they like to play much more interesting. If you see a wooden wall behind the kid you fail to see his favorite climbing rack you would've gotten with the 24. Why i love the lenses I have is because when including the background with wide lenses, you can make them less intrusive with a much larger aperture.

Only my opinion..

I agree with Neuro about the 85 for portraits of course, and in a birthday setting or something is very different from out playing with one or two kids. I like to take my son to kindergarten on Sundays, then we can shoot on all of his favorite climbers and slides with on clutter and interruption.. i'll post a few samples later  :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 04:18:40 AM by Viggo »
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2012, 04:33:38 AM »

True story.  ;)

To read that made me so happy , I wish I was there to see his face!
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2012, 07:37:37 AM »
i like shooting kids with the 70-200.. as keeps a good bit if distance between us...

ScottFielding

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2012, 06:37:44 PM »
I mainly use my 50L indoors and the 70-200 2.8 II outdoors. 

The 135 f/2 is my next purchase which I am sure will be utilised too on the kids!
5D III
Sigma 35 1.4 - 50L - 135L - 70-200L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2012, 06:37:44 PM »

Harv

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • My SmugMug Web Location
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2012, 09:32:20 PM »
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the 100 f/2....  A sharp, fast lens at a very affordable cost.
Looking at life through a 1D4 and a 5D3 plus lots of red rings.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2012, 09:34:17 PM »
at a very affordable cost.
Canon will ...fix this sometime in the future !!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2012, 09:34:17 PM »