Gear Talk > EOS Bodies - For Stills

DUST!!!!!!! WHAT TO DO!?!?!? (resolved)

(1/2) > >>

Tabor Warren Photography:
I am doing my best to keep my cool. I have dust in the viewfinder, at least I think that is where the beast lay. I didn't notice it until I was wiping down my camera with a lens cloth and decided to wipe the dust off of the viewfinder glass. Now everytime I look into the viewfinder I can see two spots, one; a j-looking object next to the center focus point, and two; a spot just a bit lower and to the right. The dust doesn't seem to affect the pictures what-so-ever, but I am super OCD about these things and besides that, the specks are simply annoying. I have three shoots in the next four days so I would LOVE it if you all had some advice.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

-Tabor

It is on/in my 5DII with a 17-40L that has a filter, (if that makes any difference). Also, I've been shooting all day and this has not come up until the moment I wiped off the viewfinder...  :'(

Ryan_W:
First thing to do is take a deep breath. Then find a camera store that will clean it for you. Locally in Chicago we have Calumet. I think it's $35. I get my bodies cleaned every few months no matter what.

neuroanatomist:
If it's 'inside' the VF and the specs look 'sharp', most likely the dust is on the focus screen.  If will not affect the images at all.  If if bothers you, take off the lens and use a rocket blower pointed up toward the pentaprism (with the mirror down, i.e. do not activate manual sensor cleaning).

Tabor Warren Photography:
Thank you Ryan,

I had actually yet to take a deep breath. Very relaxing. I am in Stillwater, OK but two of my shoots are in Tulsa this weekend so I'll take it in then. Good call on the consistant cleanings!

Neuro,

I have not yet bought a rocket blower, as Ryan mentioned, I assumed I would just get mine cleaned from time to time. Now is the time to invest a little in the rocket. (by the way, I saw some of your pics on flickr, great work!)

-Tabor

Ryan_W:

--- Quote from: Tabor Warren Photography on November 14, 2012, 10:57:14 PM ---Thank you Ryan,

I had actually yet to take a deep breath. Very relaxing. I am in Stillwater, OK but two of my shoots are in Tulsa this weekend so I'll take it in then. Good call on the consistant cleanings!

Neuro,

I have not yet bought a rocket blower, as Ryan mentioned, I assumed I would just get mine cleaned from time to time. Now is the time to invest a little in the rocket. (by the way, I saw some of your pics on flickr, great work!)

-Tabor

--- End quote ---

Right before NATO hit Chicago I had what looked like a spaghetti noodle (it was an eyelash) inside my body that put me through a few extra hours of grief in post processing.

Neuro is spot on. I carry a little puffer everywhere just in case. But it can be hard to see the specs on your back screen. Also, I'm just so, so lazy. I don't trust myself to not blow dust onto my sensor and would rather just leave it up to someone else.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version