December 21, 2014, 03:57:55 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Blinking Red AF Point Information  (Read 17062 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Blinking Red AF Point Information
« on: November 15, 2012, 07:58:54 AM »
Firmware Coming?
There has been a lot of questions wondering when Canon will release a firmware update similar to the EOS-1D X  that adds the blinking red AF point when in AI servo mode. While I figured they were working on it, I wasn’t quite sure why it hadn’t been brought to market or included with the announced and upcoming firmware update.

This is a direct quote of what I have been told:

They are testing that at the moment but don’t know if it is possible to implement. The former system had a different type of focusing screen and it was easy to handle because it had no reflection in the viewfinder. The new system, with the LCD screen inside the viewfinder is reflecting the red light back and this can affect the light metering system. In the EOS-1D X, the viewfinder box is bigger than in EOS 5D Mark III, which aids in making it possible and workable. In the EOS-1D X they alternate red illumination and metering, and this is why there is the red blinking. With the EOS 5D Mark III, they are testing it but they are not sure if they can make it operate in the same way.

This sounds logical enough, and it’s good to know they are trying to implement it.

5D Mark III at Norman (Body | Kit), B&H (Body | Kit) Amazon (Body | Kit), Adorama (Body | Kit)

cr

« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 08:01:53 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Blinking Red AF Point Information
« on: November 15, 2012, 07:58:54 AM »

ScottyP

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Blinking Red AF Point Information
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 08:21:22 AM »
Good to have the info, and to know they tried.  But it kind of sounds like they are saying "sorry, but no dice."
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

bbasiaga

• EOS M2
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 08:30:49 AM »
Maybe they should just consult the 10,000 internet jockeys who already know exactly how to fix it? 

lol  :)

-Brian

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 08:34:27 AM »
Good to have the info, and to know they tried.  But it kind of sounds like they are saying "sorry, but no dice."
Anyone else thinks that the April release date for the new firmware was set so far in the future in order for Canon to have time to work out how to go about this problem?

It'd be very nice to have, but it looks like you're right - and the sooner they give up, the better; that way we won't have to wait as long for the f/8 AF and, hopefully, a higher minimum shutter speed with auto-iso.
Fed up with brandism.

carlc

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 08:39:52 AM »
At least they should try to make the outline of the focus square box (selected AF point) bolder.  At the current "very thin lines" it is very hard to find against any back ground but white.  I shoot single point most of the time and compared to my 7D the 5DMkIII is a pain in the bippy.  A bolder box should not affect metering unless the bolder lines will emit more light the instant it flashes red when focus is confirmed.

At this point I am considering the return of my MkIII and just go back to my 7D.  Otherwise it is a wonderful camera body.

Steven_urwin

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 08:43:00 AM »
Dear Canon,

If you really can't get the red lights to work with AI Servo, please may you hand us something else as an apology. You can do a survey if you like with current users to find out what they may like, but a couple of suggestions spring to mind...

- Sorting out the AF assist beam focus issue
- Higher Auto ISO
- Expanding the minimum/maximum shutter speed thresholds
- An apology
- a couple of hundred pounds rebate??

You know, just something to get rid of the bitter taste I have going on right now.

Many Thanks,

Steve
5DIII, 7D Backup, 16-35L 2.8 MKII, 24-70L 2.8 MKII, 70-200L 2.8 MKII, 580EXII, 550EX Plus Elinchrom Studio Lights :)

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 09:05:37 AM »
Dear Canon,

If you really can't get the red lights to work with AI Servo, please may you hand us something else as an apology.
Don't victimize yourself because you bought a great camera with a few shortcomings that you could - and should! - have known about in advance. You're just saying that you bought the thing on impulse and that you want to blame the consequences on someone else.

If you insist on this behaviour, please switch to Nikon.
Fed up with brandism.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 09:05:37 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 09:12:31 AM »
Alternatively, if red lights in AI Servo was absolutely critical for you, a 1DIV or 1DsIII would have been the right choice, not a 5DIII.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 09:13:32 AM »
1. Most of us wanted lower MP, higher ISO, better AF system in 5D III, and more etc...Canon delivered.

2. Now...blinking Red Point in AI Servo, Canon listened and trying their best to make it happens.

I heard alot people said "Canon doesn't care about their customer anymore. They only care about $$$"

For those who think $3500 is too much for 5D III & $2300 is too much for 24-70 II, I hope you switch to Nikon sooner or buy a 5D II for much less. And get yourself some Tammy lenses.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 09:18:30 AM by Dylan777 »
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 09:15:36 AM »
Dear Canon,

If you really can't get the red lights to work with AI Servo, please may you hand us something else as an apology.
Don't victimize yourself because you bought a great camera with a few shortcomings that you could - and should! - have known about in advance. You're just saying that you bought the thing on impulse and that you want to blame the consequences on someone else.

If you insist on this behaviour, please switch to Nikon.

Forget making him switch to Nikon.... "Off with his head"  I say !

:P
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 09:18:30 AM »
Forget making him switch to Nikon.... "Off with his head"  I say !
Isn't that about the same?  :o
Fed up with brandism.

M.ST

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 09:29:45 AM »
Who cares about, if they are not able to put this feature in the camera. Use a 1D X instead.

I only want to see a better JPG-Quality that came direct out of the 5D Mark III.

In my opinion the EF 24-70 II is definetly worth the money you pay for it.

A camera will be not better by reducing the price.

Mehmetski

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 09:31:15 AM »
Dear Canon,

If you really can't get the red lights to work with AI Servo, please may you hand us something else as an apology. You can do a survey if you like with current users to find out what they may like, but a couple of suggestions spring to mind...

- Sorting out the AF assist beam focus issue

Agreed! Fix this and the camera is PERFECT!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 09:31:15 AM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 09:38:31 AM »
Anyone else thinks that the April release date for the new firmware was set so far in the future in order for Canon to have time to work out how to go about this problem?
It'd be very nice to have, but it looks like you're right - and the sooner they give up, the better; that way we won't have to wait as long for the f/8 AF and, hopefully, a higher minimum shutter speed with auto-iso.
I cannot understand why they must include all into a single firmware upgrade. They should release whichever feature has been implemented and tested thoroughly. That way, we would get new feautures sooner.

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 09:45:49 AM »
They should release whichever feature has been implemented and tested thoroughly. That way, we would get new feautures sooner.
Agreed. However, a firmware upgrade is often associated with 'repairing' things, so if they put out too many, the camera may, to the uninitiated, come across as unfinished or broken. Also, it's possible to f*** up an upgrade (empty batteries, turning it off halfway through, etc) and Canon will obviously want to limit the number of "their software bricked my camera!"-stories. But still, agreed :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 09:52:03 AM by Rat »
Fed up with brandism.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 09:45:49 AM »