August 30, 2014, 06:34:23 PM

Author Topic: 5D iii: Getting what looks like a red light leak on long ex night shots  (Read 1660 times)

fourhills

Hi there,

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, its my first post.

Im getting a red blurred section in the bottom slight left of frame on my long ex night shots. I have sent the camera back to the seller and they claim to have sent it back to canon Hong Kong for service. This process took 2 months in total which was rather annoying(wont ever buy off Eglobal again). Is anyone else getting this same issue? The only cause i can think of is the red shutter light on the back of the body leaking into the sensor.

Im also getting soft images at low iso, even at higher shutter speeds..eg anything 50-200iso at any F is soft even shooting shutters speeds of 500th. Once i get upto 320iso it gets far sharper.

All shot in RAW.

Fisrt image
1600iso f4 400sec

Second image
Shot at 50iso 1/800th

third image
Shot at 320iso 1 3200th

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 07:39:06 PM by fourhills »

canon rumors FORUM

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 5D iii: Getting what looks like a red light leak on long ex night shots
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 08:54:16 PM »
A phenomona call ed amp glow sometimes appears in extreme long exposures, but for the 5D MK III, its usually on a edge or corner.  There apear to be other colored reflections in the water.  with a super long exposure like that, the camera may see reflections that you do not see.
I can't help much with the other images, one shows a lot of CA, typical of a wide aperture lens.  CA can make a image appear to lose sharpness.

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 09:26:37 PM »
Do you get same red same place every time?

What happens if you take 400 second shot with lens cap on?

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 02:50:10 AM »
400 seconds. It's amp glow. There's so little of it and no hot pxels that it shows just how good that new 5D3 sensor is.

400 seconds, that's a lot, if you need to do exposures that long most will stack the image.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

matukas

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 03:50:05 AM »
Lighthouse light artifacts or ghosting? At long exposures every odd thing can produce this kind on efex.
At least 1-series starting from mk2 switch amp off when doing long exposures. Did yesterday 30 minutes shoot (1Ds3) and no problems. Only some hot/dead pixels when looking at pixel level.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 03:50:05 AM »