August 30, 2014, 10:14:10 PM

Author Topic: How to rotate video?  (Read 3203 times)

ereka

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
How to rotate video?
« on: November 16, 2012, 04:26:35 AM »
I hope this is in the correct forum.

I don't shoot hardly any video, but I shot a video on my 5DMkIII at an event recently ..... in portrait (upright) view. When it plays back, it plays back in landscape view and for the life of me I can't work out how to rotate it so that it plays back in the correct orientation.

I don't have any dedicated video editing software, so I'm reliant on CS5.5 extended. Is it possible to rotate video after it's shot and if so, how? I understand that CS5.5 extended supports video editing, but despite spending ages 'googling', I haven't managed to find out how to rotate a video :(

canon rumors FORUM

How to rotate video?
« on: November 16, 2012, 04:26:35 AM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: How to rotate video?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 05:26:49 AM »
why would you do that?

if you rotate the video.. well it is rotated... unlike you shoot some abstract stuff i don´t see the sense in that.

if you shot a person walking... after the rotation the person would be 90 degree rotatet. think about it.

fact is you don´t shoot video in a horizontal position... not a slong as you don´t want to make an "artistic" statement.

You DO shoot in horizontal position, I'm sure you meant that as well..
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 05:32:35 AM »
I don't shoot hardly any video, but I shot a video on my 5DMkIII at an event recently ..... in portrait (upright) view. When it plays back, it plays back in landscape view and for the life of me I can't work out how to rotate it so that it plays back in the correct orientation.

If you just want to *play* it in the correct pos. then get vlc media player, then tools -> effects -> video -> geometry -> transform (rotate). Also great for watching movies when lying flat on the bed and being too lazy to lift the head :->

Kristofgss

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 05:39:18 AM »
Movie rotator is a freeware tool which I use for rotating my movies (I know, i shouldn't shoot them like that, but  I'm so used to shooting portraits that it keeps happening)  http://movierotator.com/

ereka

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 05:43:22 AM »
Movie rotator is a freeware tool which I use for rotating my movies (I know, i shouldn't shoot them like that, but  I'm so used to shooting portraits that it keeps happening)  http://movierotator.com/

Thanks ... sounds effective, but does it work on Mac OSX or is it just for Microsoft Windows?

PeterJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 05:46:53 AM »
I didn't know this would be such a common requirement someone would release a package specifically for it, I was going to suggest just putting your TV / monitor on it's side :P.

I just took a look at the source for Movie Rotator and it's Windows only.

ereka

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 05:49:56 AM »

of course..... i was a bit mixed up with what exactly he/she wants to achieve.

I wasn't really wanting to achieve anything specific ... it's just so happened that I was shooting stills in portrait orientation and when I had the bright idea of shooting a video of the same scene I carried on shooting in portrait. It was only later, when I played back the video that I discovered the problem. I won't make the same mistake again, but in the meantime I'd like to use the movie and therefore need to be able to rotate it. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 05:49:56 AM »

PeterJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 06:03:01 AM »
VirtualDub that Freelancer suggested is normally what I'd use for transforms, but I believe that's another Windows only option. Maybe you have a friend / workplace with Windows and can do it there?

mws

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 06:27:08 AM »

If you just want to *play* it in the correct pos. then get vlc media player, then tools -> effects -> video -> geometry -> transform (rotate). Also great for watching movies when lying flat on the bed and being too lazy to lift the head :->

+1, except that I spent more time looking on the internet on how to rotate the movie then I actually did watching the movie.

Kristofgss

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 08:19:09 AM »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 08:19:09 AM »