Image & Video Galleries > Landscape

Help Me Get Better - Crashing Waves

(1/7) > >>

Promature:
The clouds didn't cooperate for a nice colorful shoot, but I figured it would give me good experience on shutter speed and aperture to get the affect I wanted.  Overall, I'm not that impressed and I was hoping to get some advice so that when the clouds and my schedule do cooperate, I can take better pictures.  Thank you in advance.

Promature:
More....

Promature:
and two more...

Kernuak:
First thing, is you need to make sure your horizon is level. For me, waves are a bit like sunsets, they need some supporting element to do them justice. Just like pretty colours don't make a good sunset picture, a crashing wave doesn't make a good wave picture on its own. It's all about finding a good composition. With waves, you need another strong subject, traditionally, that could be a high cliff, a pier or a coastal house or similar. However, it could also work if you zoom in to a rockface to make the wave dominate more. Also, photography is all about getting the lighting and exposure right. For some scenes, that may actually mean underexposure, particularly if the scene is shot at dusk, but the wave does need to stand out. For me, the compositions don't work, as they lack a strong focal point and I would play around with increasing the exposure at least by a full stop to see if the waves stand out more. That will give you some ideas for next time. On the plus side, you have captured the motion of the waves well and thre is a real sense of movement and at least some drama, you just need to find some way to enhance that drama with a stronger composition and better lighting/exposure.

robbymack:
I agree with kernuak above. There isn't really anything special about these compositions, I'd spend my time working on that before worrying about the waves and exposure (also your exposures look all over the place but they generally look a good stop under exposed). I'd say of the set the third from the last has the most potential but the horizon is all messed up and it's basically in the middle (remember your rule of thirds). While I am all for breaking the rules there wasn't any reason for it in these captures. You did do a decent job of coveying the action of the waves, another thought is also to slow the shutter way down and capture what appears to be a calm ocean. I would recommend you start with reading a few books, understanding exposure by Bryan Peterson is a good place to start. Then also pick up a book on compositions. Spend a few days reading and you'll start to see the world in a whole new light (pun intended).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version