November 26, 2014, 09:05:53 AM

Author Topic: February & March are Announcement Months for Canon [CR2]  (Read 30551 times)

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: February & March are Announcement Months for Canon [CR2]
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2012, 06:34:37 PM »
No, it doesn't.  EVFs of good quality are actually quite expensive.  RED sells their Bomb EVF for $3,200:
http://www.red.com/store/products/red-pro-evf

How does the Bomb EVF perform for dynamic range and response time with specs like these:

Bit Depth (Color): 30-bit RGB
Display Rate: Up to 60 FPS (Display mode and Camera Dependent)

Not familiar with EVF technology

Better than most, supposedly.  I haven't seen one.  Still no match for a half-way decent OVF or else so many of the RED owners wouldn't have demanded an OVF (http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?34814-More-news&p=474710&viewfull=1#post474710), which as far as I know, they still have yet to deliver.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2012, 06:34:37 PM »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2012, 06:45:36 PM »
Interesting, but if it is only the announcements that will be made in Feb/March, then when would you expect the release? Q3/Q4 2013?! With the first FW update in Q1/Q2 2014 to fix something they overlooked.

Why do I get the feeling Canon are getting more and more nervous about newcomers to the pro camera game such as Sony....
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

HarryWintergreen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2012, 06:50:25 PM »
A Canon M camera that could keep up with the Sony RX1 would be nice. Wishful thinking perhaps but this exactly what this beyond DSLR business is all about. It's up to Canon to decide where my money will go.

c.d.embrey

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2012, 10:53:29 PM »
c.d.embrey said:
Stop living in the past. Time and technology just keep on truckin'. Moore's Law is still in effect and working well.

And it doesn't apply to either optics or light.

What do optics or light have to do with Electronic View Finders (EVF) ??? Optics and light have something to do with the taking sensor, but absolutly nothing to with an EVF. All the EVF does is to display a signal it recieves fro the taking sender.

...  In fact, I'd wager you don't even know what Moore's law does apply to since 99% of the people that quote it don't. 

Moore's law says, the number of transistors on integrated circuits doubles approximately every two years. Often misquoted as every 18 months  :) I've often seen the 18 month claim in many consumer computer magazines.

A transistor is used to amplify and switch electronic signals and electrical power. The IC is used in computers, say a Digic x. The camera transfers a signal from the taking sensor to the cameras computer, that then passes along the processed signal to the EVF. A LED or OLED screen is used to display the picture. Sounds to me like Moore's Law is aplicable to the performance of EVF, cause the more transistors in an IC, the more work it can do. Therefore in a few years, EVFs will be vastly better than they are today.

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2012, 11:17:31 PM »
What do optics or light have to do with Electronic View Finders (EVF) ???

Everything.

A very major limit on how EVFs perform is how much time the camera's sensor has to capture the light that is needed to generate the image for the EVF.  If you are light-limited (and, we're light limited a heck of a lot), the EVF has to wait for the sensor to integrate the light for the necessary time, and that integration is the limiting factor on both the quality and speed of the EVF.

Moore's law says, the number of transistors on integrated circuits doubles approximately every two years. Often misquoted as every 18 months  :) I've often seen the 18 month claim in many consumer computer magazines.

Actually, that's closer than usual, but that isn't correct either.  Moore's law is about economics.  (Emphasis added):

"The complexity for minimum component costs has increased at a rate of roughly a factor of two per year... Certainly over the short term this rate can be expected to continue, if not to increase. Over the longer term, the rate of increase is a bit more uncertain, although there is no reason to believe it will not remain nearly constant for at least 10 years."  -- Gordon Moore 1965

He changed the "per year" part to every two years in 1975 when the time horizon of his original prediction ended.

c.d.embrey

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2012, 11:26:43 PM »

... Still no match for a half-way decent OVF or else so many of the RED owners wouldn't have demanded an OVF (http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?34814-More-news&p=474710&viewfull=1#post474710), which as far as I know, they still have yet to deliver.

Traditionally through the lens viewing, for motion picture cameras, has benn provided by a spinning mirror, it's what many motion picture camera operators are used to and like. The spinning mirroe is both the shutter, and also uses the mirror to reflect light to the ground glass of the optical view finder. Sorta like the flaping mirror of a DSLR. Because of operator preference the Arri D20 and D21 used this style of view finder. The present Arri Alexa range is made-up of 5 models, four with EVFs and the Alexa Studio with an optical view finder.

Operators with a broadcast back ground seem to have no problem with EVFs.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 11:39:25 PM by c.d.embrey »

Woody

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2012, 03:35:15 AM »

Errr... movie operators shoot video, not still photographs. Still photography captures a moment in time whose duration is as long as the shutter speed of the camera.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 03:47:40 AM by Woody »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2012, 03:35:15 AM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2012, 07:03:29 AM »

Errr... movie operators shoot video, not still photographs. Still photography captures a moment in time whose duration is as long as the shutter speed of the camera.

I think what he is saying is that since people from broadcast background are used to looking at EVF's, they make the transition easier. I think that is what he is saying.

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2012, 11:33:30 AM »
A studio camera does not need an integrated grip.

A vertical grip isn't needed in the studio because portraits are never shot with camera held vertically.  The term 'portrait orientation' (vs. landscape orientation) came into common usage for no reason, whatsoever.  Right.

And this week's sarcasm prize goes to.......(drum roll) Neuro!! Congrats Neuro, you win a coconut, what are you going to do with it? What's that? Fit a vertical grip to it? That's insane baby, you need a check-up from the neck up! Unless the original post was meant to be sarcastic in which case you lose the coconut but get membership of the National Sarcasm Society (like they need your help).

Sigh, it's been a quiet day....

Pompo

« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2012, 02:22:24 PM »
<div name=\"googleone_share_1\" style=\"position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;\"><g:plusone size=\"tall\" count=\"1\" href=\"http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/11/february-march-are-announcement-months-for-canon-cr2/\"></g:plusone></div><div style=\"float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;\"><a href=\"https://twitter.com/share\" class=\"twitter-share-button\" data-count=\"vertical\" data-url=\"http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/11/february-march-are-announcement-months-for-canon-cr2/\">Tweet</a></div>
<p><strong>What can we expect in early 2013?<br />

</strong>The 40+ mp camera gets another mention and we should expect an announcement in Q1 of 2013. The camera will be physically bigger than the 5D Mark III, but will be smaller than the EOS-1D X. It’s noted that the sensor is currently in EOS-1D X styled bodies.</p>
<p><strong><span style=\"color: #ff0000;\">c</span>r</strong></p>

What does it mean "the sensor is currently in EOS 1DX" ??

x-vision

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2012, 02:29:39 PM »

It means that the 40+ mp sensor is put in a 1DX body for testing.
However, the expectation is that the body will be different when the high-MP camera becomes an actual product.

P.S. These are all rumors, of course.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2012, 02:42:56 PM »

It means the prototypes are 1D X-style, as in they put the new sensor in a modified 1D X. Doesn't mean that will be the final form factor they select.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Stone

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2012, 03:27:40 PM »
I'm looking forward to these announcements.  I decided a while ago to pass on the 5DIII because I just don't consider it much of an upgrade from an IQ perspective.  I have no need for a 40MP monster especially at the price Canon will inevitably be asking, but I'm very excited to see the 7DII and hopefully the next generation of Canon sensors.  I speculate that Canon knows they're losing right now and they'll want to maintain the dominance that the 7D has in the APS-C segment.  My wishlist:

• I'm good with the 18MP sensor, but maybe 24 MP if Canon can make it clean
  • 10fps
  • integrated grip
  • 61pt af
  • native ISO 25k
  • finally more base ISO DR even though I'm not one who would take advantage of it in most cases
  • even better weather sealing
essentially a crop body 1DX which I think the 7D should be as the flagship APS-C camera

as for lenses

14-24 is long overdue, new 50 1.4 to fix the finicky af mechanism.  I thought the 35L needed upgrading, but now that I own it, it's stellar as is.  I'm not interested in a mirroless camera unless it's FF ILC with acceptable af performance.  The first company to produce it will get my money.  A 7DII for action and a compact FF mirrorless for everything else would be my perfect combo. 
5D III gripped | 7D gripped | 35L | 24-70 2.8L II USM | 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | 85 1.8 |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2012, 03:27:40 PM »

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2012, 03:43:25 PM »

• integrated grip

Wow...that would make me not buy it for sure!

Stone

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2012, 04:12:22 PM »

• integrated grip

Wow...that would make me not buy it for sure!

I would imagine that's what a potential 70D would be for.  I add a grip to every camera I buy and it's definitely useful for sports and any time you're shooting in portrait orientation.  I think it would also enhance weather sealing for me since adding a grip always introduces another point of failure for the seals.

With or without a grip, none of these DSLRs can be considered small, I consider the benefits outweigh the minor drawbacks.
5D III gripped | 7D gripped | 35L | 24-70 2.8L II USM | 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | 85 1.8 |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2012, 04:12:22 PM »