September 01, 2014, 03:44:20 AM

Author Topic: February & March are Announcement Months for Canon [CR2]  (Read 27642 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
February & March are Announcement Months for Canon [CR2]
« on: November 16, 2012, 08:23:49 AM »

What can we expect in early 2013?

I’m told we’ll be seeing two seperate announcements in back to back months in 2013. We’ll see announcements in February and March, one of the announcements will be a “major” event. Sometimes the word “major” is used incorrectly.

EOS-M

Apparently, one of the announcements will be to introduce a second EOS-M body. The body will be slightly bigger, and have a viewfinder. They will also introduce at least two new lenses with the body. I’d expect a telephoto zoom and a fast prime.

EOS 7D Mark II

One of these announcement dates will also be for the EOS 7D replacement. No word on specs, but it’s suggested the camera/segment will get a new naming scheme.

Big Megapixel

The 40+ mp camera gets another mention and we should expect an announcement in Q1 of 2013. The camera will be physically bigger than the 5D Mark III, but will be smaller than the EOS-1D X. It’s noted that the sensor is currently in EOS-1D X styled bodies.

cr

« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 08:25:38 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

February & March are Announcement Months for Canon [CR2]
« on: November 16, 2012, 08:23:49 AM »

bbasiaga

• EOS M2
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
Re: February & March are Announcement Months for Canon [CR2]
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 08:38:53 AM »
I'll definitely have my eye on the EOS M body.  If it has an OVF and improved AF speed, I could see this being my back up body to my 5DIII.  I know this technology will get there, just not sure if it gets there this round or not.  Could be an excellent alternative to getting a new P&S, though considerably more expensive I'm sure.

-Brian

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 08:39:08 AM »
A pro aimed EOS M would be nice.

A 7D2 is way overdue.

And the BIG MP camera will be here soon.

Let's see some innovation canon.

kidnaper

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 08:46:27 AM »
Amazon currently has a few G1xes for around 540... I've been debating one of these, but if an EOS M comes out with an EVF.. hmmmm what to do...
5DIII 8-200mm minus 35mm in there.

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 08:58:18 AM »
A pro aimed EOS M would be nice.

A 7D2 is way overdue.

And the BIG MP camera will be here soon.

Let's see some innovation canon.

The 7D2 is way over due only because of it's iso noise issue. It has more than enough MP and features.
If Canon can nail their iso noise issue and bring their shadow noise up to Nikon/Sony standards then it'll have been worth the wait. I just hope it's not another nominal upgrade.

I'm not sure if a big MP camera will shift boxes as much as the current 5DIII and 1DX are. It'll be nice to try one, but 46mp? Really? Like who really NEEDs this IQ?

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 09:01:27 AM »
Too long to wait.

I'm switching to Nikon  ;D
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

Lee Jay

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 09:03:42 AM »
The 7D2 is way over due only because of it's iso noise issue. It has more than enough MP and features.

No, it needs f/8 autofocus, more pixels for more "reach" when focal length limited, flexible video cropping options, and preferably a set of high-speed video modes like pretty much all their compacts have now.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 09:03:42 AM »

Lee Jay

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 09:09:06 AM »
If Canon really can come up with a pixel design and readout electronics that dramatically reduces read noise, won't that leave the new 5DIII owners out in the cold?  Could the 5DIII get a big price drop and a replacement (sensor only) be released soon?  Could Canon offer a sensor-only upgrade for them?

A big pixel count sensor would add great flexibility if properly implemented.  I've suggested before several modes:

- Standard mode would be with something like 14MP of full-color pixels each derived from 4 of the small pixels - medium speed.  This is the approach used in the C100.
- High-res mode (all pixels - slow).
- 2x-crop mode - again something like 14MP this time of standard Bayer pixels from the center of the frame (fast).

Lee Jay

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 09:17:35 AM »
Apparently, one of the announcements will be to introduce a second EOS-M body. The body will be slightly bigger, and have a viewfinder.

Before these mirrorless cameras will become even remotely interesting to me, they need three things:

• AF as fast as the Rebel series cameras, including AI servo
  • A viewfinder that's got under 25ms of latency
  • Battery life for at least 1,500 shots and an hour of non-stop viewfinder use.

If they're going to release a second version of the M, they need a standard zoom lens that retracts inside the body when not in use.

Stuart

• EOS M2
  • Hi there, welcome from a photo fan.
    • View Profile
    • JackAllTog on ePhotozine
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 09:17:52 AM »
Looking forward to some big mature changes, stabilising the EOS-M range. big pixel and a 7D refresh. Could a EOS-M with a viewfinder and a 7D renaming scheme be one and the same thing?
Canon 60D, 24-105, 50 F1.8. 430EX II.
Sigma 10-20, 70 F2.8, 70-300. Studio.
Giotto tripod, Hoya filters.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 09:20:43 AM »
Yayyyyy! Something new to fight about! Looking forward to this thread growing... :)

Lee Jay

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 09:25:43 AM »
Looking forward to some big mature changes, stabilising the EOS-M range. big pixel and a 7D refresh. Could a EOS-M with a viewfinder and a 7D renaming scheme be one and the same thing?

No way, no how, could the replacement 7D be a mirrorless camera.  That would kill it for 95% of the users.

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 09:32:27 AM »
"...new naming scheme"

Let's speculate on that. What will it be? 1D-C (topline of APS-C)
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 09:32:27 AM »

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 09:33:51 AM »
I still don't like the idea of a bigger camera, even if it is smaller than the 1DX.

I hope it is not because of an integrated grip.

A studio camera does not need an integrated grip. An architecture camera does not need an integrated grip. A landscape camera does not need an integrated grip. If you want a grip for those purposes, attach an optional one.  :P
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 09:40:49 AM by Ricku »

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 09:37:13 AM »
If Canon really can come up with a pixel design and readout electronics that dramatically reduces read noise, won't that leave the new 5DIII owners out in the cold?  Could the 5DIII get a big price drop and a replacement (sensor only) be released soon?  Could Canon offer a sensor-only upgrade for them?
I would not worry about that.

Haven't you heard? Most people who bought the 5D III claim that "they don't need more DR", and that "more DR is only for people who can't expose correctly."

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 09:37:13 AM »