December 21, 2014, 02:35:11 PM

Author Topic: February & March are Announcement Months for Canon [CR2]  (Read 31566 times)

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: February & March are Announcement Months for Canon [CR2]
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2012, 05:07:13 PM »

• integrated grip

Wow...that would make me not buy it for sure!

I would imagine that's what a potential 70D would be for.  I add a grip to every camera I buy and it's definitely useful for sports and any time you're shooting in portrait orientation.  I think it would also enhance weather sealing for me since adding a grip always introduces another point of failure for the seals.

With or without a grip, none of these DSLRs can be considered small, I consider the benefits outweigh the minor drawbacks.

A non-removable grip is a catastrophe for me, as it makes the camera not fit where I want it, and it makes it heavier and bigger than it needs to be for the 99% of the time I don't need a grip.  If you want a grip, buy a grip.  I never have, and I never plan to.  That's the beauty of a removable grip - those that want one can have one, those that don't aren't forced to have one.  This is one reason I'd never buy a 1D body.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2012, 05:07:13 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2012, 05:22:57 PM »
A non-removable grip is a catastrophe for me, as it makes the camera not fit where I want it, and it makes it heavier and bigger than it needs to be for the 99% of the time I don't need a grip.  If you want a grip, buy a grip.  I never have, and I never plan to.  That's the beauty of a removable grip - those that want one can have one, those that don't aren't forced to have one.  This is one reason I'd never buy a 1D body.

The downsides to a removeable grip are that, when installed, there's a fair bit of flex (which results in additional vibration when mounting to a tripod), and the grip-body attachment has no weather sealing (that's at the battery compartment, and we all know electricity and water don't usually play nice).  The integrated grip is one reason I'm very glad I have a 1-series body.

Since I use a hand strap, simply taking the grip on and off is not something to be done frequently or on a whim.

Also, the accessory grips bulge out both in front and in back, whereas the integrated grip bulges in front only, exactly like the 'landscape' grip. That makes the 1-series more comfortable to hold vertically than a gripped non 1-series body, to me.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 05:48:02 PM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

TAF

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2012, 05:29:21 PM »
Thinking about the next 'M' (is the M for mirrorless?); what I would love to see (read: would buy) is a FF body using the sensor/electronics from the 5D3 (I use those high ISO's), a real EF mount, and a simple optical viewfinder.

All for around $1500.  Which is not an unreasonable number if you think about what a 5D3 costs compared to the 5D2, and then subtract off the AF module and viewfinder assembly.

Take that, Leica!

(in fact, if the AF worked decently and it did a similar number of fps, it might replace my 5D3)

crasher8

« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2012, 05:30:46 PM »
The only gripped body I have had are smaller film cameras and a T2i. It was awkward. After moving to a 7D and then a 5D3 I appreciate a larger body with well placed controls. Having actual man hands, I could work with an integrated grip someday. If they offered the 5D series with one I'd have bought it. No, that is not a 1Dx.

TAF

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2012, 05:32:00 PM »

• integrated grip

I would imagine that's what a potential 70D would be for.  I add a grip to every camera I buy and it's definitely useful for sports and any time you're shooting in portrait orientation.  I think it would also enhance weather sealing for me since adding a grip always introduces another point of failure for the seals.

With or without a grip, none of these DSLRs can be considered small, I consider the benefits outweigh the minor drawbacks.

I'll agree with that sentiment; that is why I ended up with the 5D3 instead of the 1DX.

The additional capability of the 1DX was not enough for me to overcome the fact that it did not fit my small hands well enough, mostly because of the larger grip and bottom.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2012, 06:49:32 PM »

• integrated grip

I'll agree with that sentiment; that is why I ended up with the 5D3 instead of the 1DX.

The additional capability of the 1DX was not enough for me to overcome the fact that it did not fit my small hands well enough, mostly because of the larger grip and bottom.

I am glad there are a lot of other people that feel this way
the grip is the main reason i'm not getting a 1Dmk4 for now if no new APS-H bodies are released i may get one anyway
I still use my 1Dmk3 in locations where its bomb proof build and weather sealing are a requirement and anything else would simply die. But i much prefer to use my 5Dmk3 or 5Dmk2. If a gripless 1Dx has been released I probably would have that.
with todays battery technology there is just no reason for the bulk other than the portrait shooting controls which in all honestly i prefer to use the landscape controls and tuck my right arm into my chest I can brace in a much more stable way shooting like this that using the portrait buttons.

Alot (Not All) of people that put grips on because it gives them more big camera cred, just look on youtube for people that give advice about how to look proffessional when shooting a wedding  ::)

I know there are tons of reasons and shooting situations where the integrated grip is superior just not for me or many others so I dont know why they dont make a 1D style non grip version with no dial full weather sealing and the same awesome build with all the features and give users the choice, I think canon would surprise themselves with how many non integrated grip 1series cameras they would sell.
APS-H Fanboy

Stone

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2012, 07:33:41 PM »
I'm 6'1 over 200lbs with hands to match, when I used to shoot with a Rebel, I could literally palm the camera.  A grip made that camera bearable for me, the same with my 7D.  I'd love to go with a 1DX but as an amateur who has to find time to shoot, I just can't justify the coin.  Grips are a polarizing subject for sure. :D

I do resent those that say we use grips because we wanna "look" like pros, I use a grip because I frequently shoot in portrait mode, I never have to change batteries and have man hands.  I could care less how I look to other people..lol
5D III gripped | 7D gripped | 35L | 24-70 2.8L II USM | 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | 85 1.8 |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2012, 07:33:41 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2012, 07:39:57 PM »
I do resent those that say we use grips because we wanna "look" like pros, I use a grip because I frequently shoot in portrait mode, I never have to change batteries and have man hands.  I could care less how I look to other people..lol

+1, and agree they're more polarizing than a CPL.  ;)

One big factor, for me, is balance.  Many of my lenses are considered 'heavy' (white L zooms, 85L, etc.).  Without the grip, the body+lens is quite front-heavy, leading to more strain on hands and arms. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2012, 08:26:17 PM »

The downsides to a removeable grip are that, when installed, there's a fair bit of flex (which results in additional vibration when mounting to a tripod), and the grip-body attachment has no weather sealing (that's at the battery compartment, and we all know electricity and water don't usually play nice).  The integrated grip is one reason I'm very glad I have a 1-series body.

Since I use a hand strap, simply taking the grip on and off is not something to be done frequently or on a whim.

Also, the accessory grips bulge out both in front and in back, whereas the integrated grip bulges in front only, exactly like the 'landscape' grip. That makes the 1-series more comfortable to hold vertically than a gripped non 1-series body, to me.

The 1-series should be built just like the 1V was - removable grip that's far better designed that the bottom-mounted removable grips of today.  It was good enough for the 1-series then, and to me it was better than the 1-series is now.

that1guyy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2012, 10:45:52 PM »
Well this news left a bitter taste in my mouth. I suppose any chance of getting a 70D went out of the window.

I guess I'm done with Canon.

Stu_bert

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2012, 05:15:01 AM »

The 1-series should be built just like the 1V was - removable grip that's far better designed that the bottom-mounted removable grips of today.  It was good enough for the 1-series then, and to me it was better than the 1-series is now.
Wouldn't that cause problems with the dials on the 1Dx?

I'm an integrated grip guy and miss them if I go back to a 7D or 5D for all the reasons mentioned - balance, grip/size, controls. I frequently walk around all day just holding the 1Ds by the grip - I find them that comfortable and the extra size makes it easier. The extra balance is definitely a plus....

If they could make a 1 series removable with all the buttons n dials in the best position, then I am sure that would appeal to more people... guess that's another trade off  ???
If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2012, 09:55:53 AM »
Wouldn't that cause problems with the dials on the 1Dx?

As far as I know, there's only one dial on the back of the 1Dx, and the one on the back of the 1V is in exactly the same position, as are the two sets of top-right buttons.  The 1Dx has AF-ON buttons that the 1V didn't, but there's room for them to be in the same positions.  Same with the joysticks.  The only actual issue I can see is that the bottom LCD wouldn't be there without the grip.  Of course, starting the design from scratch, they would be able to make changed to accommodate the design.

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2012, 10:50:55 AM »
As far as ergonomics, holding a gripped body in comparison to a 1D series body is a very different experience. First thing you'll notice is that the screw dial that locks the grip into place is no longer there, some people like myself hate that thing for when turning the body to portrait as I tend to fiddle or scratch on it sometimes. Once you get used to holding a 1 series, it's more than just an integrated grip, you feel like you're actually holding the entire camera rather than holding a grip that's attached to it. Hard to truly explain the feeling, but the confidence level seems to go up in that slight sense of extra stability and comfort. Like said earlier in this thread I also appreciate the extra LCD, and the tighter button layout. Aesthetically.... Integrated grip bodies also look a lot less tackier than ones with removable grips. Also, whether integrated grip or not, it just looks and feels so much more manly in portrait mode. I used to see myself in the mirror or other male photographers hold their ungripped cameras in portrait orientation and think uhh....yeah....soccer mom pose. Then again if you do all landscape and work with a tripod a lot I wouldn't worry about it. Just my opinion.
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 5D mark III, and 2x6D. Canon 24mm Samyang/Rokinon, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2012, 10:50:55 AM »

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2012, 11:30:21 AM »
As far as ergonomics, holding a gripped body in comparison to a 1D series body is a very different experience. First thing you'll notice is that the screw dial that locks the grip into place is no longer there, some people like myself hate that thing for when turning the body to portrait as I tend to fiddle or scratch on it sometimes. Once you get used to holding a 1 series, it's more than just an integrated grip, you feel like you're actually holding the entire camera rather than holding a grip that's attached to it. Hard to truly explain the feeling, but the confidence level seems to go up in that slight sense of extra stability and comfort. Like said earlier in this thread I also appreciate the extra LCD, and the tighter button layout. Aesthetically.... Integrated grip bodies also look a lot less tackier than ones with removable grips. Also, whether integrated grip or not, it just looks and feels so much more manly in portrait mode. I used to see myself in the mirror or other male photographers hold their ungripped cameras in portrait orientation and think uhh....yeah....soccer mom pose. Then again if you do all landscape and work with a tripod a lot I wouldn't worry about it. Just my opinion.

First of all, if you care how "manly" you look, you aren't very "manly".
Second, you're still talking about bottom-attached grips, not the 1V-style grip, which is far more "integrated" into the body.

http://superhappycashcow.com/CAMERA/USED%20CAMERA/06-05-12/0300/07.jpg

brad-man

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2012, 01:46:39 PM »
 CR2
"EOS 7D Mark II
One of these announcement dates will also be for the EOS 7D replacement. No word on specs, but it’s suggested the camera/segment will get a new naming scheme."

Is anyone else wondering why there may/will be a new "naming scheme"? Sounds rather like Canon is considering doing something radical. Is this posible considering how conservative they have been lately? Since it is reasonable to assume it will have the AF of the 5DIII (given the performance of the current Hybrid CMOS AF)  and presumably will use the current Digic V processor(s), that pretty much means a serious change in sensor design-more than just more MPs. Would changing to the 0.18 uM process justify this or is there something more?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2012, 01:46:39 PM »