November 28, 2014, 08:29:37 PM

Author Topic: Travel to Thailand/Laos should I bring my 5d mkiii?  (Read 11652 times)

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
Re: Travel to Thailand/Laos should I bring my 5d mkiii?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 04:15:47 AM »
Take it by all means.  Lots of very nice things to photograph.  A versatile lens like 24-105 will do (for me I always bring a normal lens and a tele lens).  Bringing a UWA is not so much required but certainly there are times you can use one.  Just be sensible.  Don't go out in less populated area (bring some friends you can trust if you feel the need to go into one) and be careful of snatchers. Make sure that you're always holding or at least feeling your camera/lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 04:15:47 AM »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 04:31:37 AM »
My standard South East Asia travel kit in recent years has been 5DC/5D2/5D3 de-gripped and grunged down with black tape. Get the tape that doesn't leave residue when you peel it off. It looks really tatty and like it needs the tape to hold it together.

Honestly, you really do not need any black tape at all.

Just take care of your stuff, and do not leave it lying around unattended.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 05:37:36 AM »
camera in one hand and a knife on the other and you should be alright!
just kidding, just keep camera with you at all times

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 05:39:33 AM »
Honestly, you really do not need any black tape at all.

Just take care of your stuff, and do not leave it lying around unattended.

+100

You really don't have to worry in countries like Thailand. This is not the U.S., so can bring anything without worrying too much about theft and you won't be mugged, even if you lug around white lenses. Very simple precautions will do and you will be fine.

I would recommend a 17-40 or 16-35 and 70-200 zooms as minimum gear. If you want to bring only one lens, a 28-300 or 24-105 are the best choices, the latter being a better option, because it is more lightweight.

adhocphotographer

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 05:44:20 AM »
i wouldn't go with out it buddy! That's what we have cameras for...  :) Just be smart with it...  tuck it away when not in use (have a discrete bag)...  keep you hands on your equipment in crowds...  don't go down dark alleys alone...  the usual travel smart advice! :)

24-105 + either a tele or wide-angle, depending on your style! Or all three! :)

Go, take great photos, but don't forget to just relax and have fun! :) Enjoy!
5D MkIII & 100D
17-40L, 24L II, 24-105L, 70-200L, 500L II
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 05:59:44 AM »
Just avoid election times. If you see people gathering for political rallies in Thailand all wearing the same colour shirts, you better go the opposite way.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 06:03:23 AM by AmbientLight »

miah

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »
I spent 4 great months last winter in Thailand, Laos and Cambodia. I carried a T3i w/15-85 and 70-300 DO, plus an S90. I travel solo, by motorcycle, with soft panniers that unbuckle with a simple click (no locks). I camp out or stay in super-low-rent guesthouses. Never did I have a problem with theft, even when I left my bike unattended with gear on it for many hours at a time. In general, the people of SE Asia are wonderful.

I plan to return next year and continue my ride into some of the neighboring countries. The only difference is I plan to take my new 5D3 and 24-105. I purchased it after my last trip because I was disappointed with the low-light performance and slow focus-time of the T3i. There are a lot of temples and great, evening street scenes that require the best possible low-light performance. By all means, take your best gear.
T3i • 10-22 • 15-85 • 70-300DO *** 5D3 • 35 f/2 • 50 f/1.8 • 24-105L • 100L • 70-300L • 35-350L • 400L f/5.6

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »

pj1974

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 08:44:49 AM »
I visited Thailand in May 2010... had to make a last minute change of plans to stay most of the time in Phuket (as the 'red shirts' vs Government protest was on in Bangkok. Thankfully (after the 'red shirts' were 'flushed out' - I still got to Bangkok (and saw my friends - from Netherlands, working there for a NGO- which was my original intention).

Both in Phuket and Bangkok I felt really quite safe. But then again, I'm a very well travelled person, having lived in other developing countries for many years. Be safe, keep 'carry-able' gear with you, and don't 'show off' or go to remote locations unless you're confident.

I took my 7D with 15-85mm on every outing, and depending on what I was going to see, either also took my UWA (10-20mm Sigma) or my Canon telezoom.  I'd not hesitate to go there again with my gear, which includes a white Canon 70-300mm L. I would even swim in the sea, keeping an eye on my bag (but then again, it wasn't too busy at the beach - as it was off-peak season, so the beach wasn't crowded at all).

Pick pockets can be in every country, so just 'be wary'.  Best wishes, and SE Asian has some spectacular scenary, colours, culture, etc.

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 08:44:49 AM »