April 18, 2014, 01:31:55 PM

Author Topic: Bracketing Focus (automatically)  (Read 1343 times)

TAF

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Bracketing Focus (automatically)
« on: November 17, 2012, 11:41:39 AM »
Hello All;

I have a thought for a feature that doesn't seem to be there yet.

With our EF lenses, the camera knows (and can quickly set) the focus distance.  The computer in the camera can easily calculate the DOF from the exposure.  They already offer built in exposure bracketing.

Why not offer focus bracketing?  With a USM lens, the time required to shoot (say) three successive photos with three different focus distances would be minimal.  Perhaps setable for how many and what the end points are.  I've seen it done manually (it is certainly easy to do that way; I sometimes do it just to be certain of capturing a landscape just the way I want it).

Seems like something that would, from time to time, be very valuable to have.  And the ability to combine the photos just as one does with HDR would make for potentially fascinating photos.

And if this is buried in menu 174 of my 5D3, my apologies for not having read the manual enough times to find it...

canon rumors FORUM

Bracketing Focus (automatically)
« on: November 17, 2012, 11:41:39 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Bracketing Focus (automatically)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 12:08:40 PM »
Magic lantern does this, its a handy feature for stills and used in a process known as focus stacking.  There is other software Helicon) that will do it to a tethered camera via the usb link as well.
I've used it in the past.  Its popular with Macro photographers, since stacking images that are each focused at a slightly different place can result in a image with a huge depth of field that no lens can achieve.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 02:10:54 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

sparda79

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tingkap Vistaku
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 12:19:56 PM »
Just another Guy with Camera

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 12:19:56 PM »