Gear Talk > EOS Bodies - For Stills

Please help me decide... Canon 5D3 or Nikon D800

(1/5) > >>

tnowell:
I understand this is a Canon Forum but please try to be unbiased.

I am just starting off and looking to take still photography only, video is not part of the equation.  At this point I'm interested in taking street level and portrait photography sometime in low-light without a flash. 

I have spent 50+ hours reviewing the Canon 5D3 and Nikon D800 but just cant seem to make up my mind.  If you were able to start over and were comparing the two cameras what system would you prefer and why?    My budget is around 5k including lenses.

Here are the two options I've been considering...

1) Canon 5D3 and Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
2) Nikon D800 and Nikon Nikon 24-70mm 2.8G ED AF-S

Thanks in advance,
Young Grasshopper

Danielle:
How much experience do you have? Why I ask (you don't have to physically answer) is that if you know you are going to print big, I'd suggest the D800. By the way I mean big.

If you want maybe slightly cleaner high iso the canon and forget the 24-70 (my opinion) and buy a fast prime for your low light. For instance the 35L. Unless of course your dead set on the zoom. The canon will get you a pretty state of the art autofocus system too.

If your experienced I don't think you'll go wrong with either actually.

Zv:
I doubt anyone on this forum could truly be unbiased! Pretty much everyone will recommend the 5D mk III especially when paired to the 24-70L II.

Though whatever body you choose most will agree the lens will be the most important factor. Canon has an impressive lens line-up and their new version II lenses are simply outstanding! As a lens lover I would say go with Canon.

Best advice is choose a system and stick to it. Either one is more that capable for any photographer.

neuroanatomist:

--- Quote from: tnowell on November 17, 2012, 07:22:40 AM ---I have spent over 50+ hours reviewing the Canon 5D3 and Nikon D800

--- End quote ---

Has your 50+ hours included some time in a shop handling both cameras?  Ergonomics are quite different. 

Either system will deliver great images.  Personally, I'd pick the D800 if my main use was landscapes/architecture.  For portrait/street, I'd pick Canon for the AF and better high ISO for low light.

kidcharles:

--- Quote from: neuroanatomist on November 17, 2012, 07:55:04 AM ---Either system will deliver great images.  Personally, I'd pick the D800 if my main use was landscapes/architecture.  For portrait/street, I'd pick Canon for the AF and better high ISO for low light.

--- End quote ---

I second this. Nikon is king for landscape right now because of the superior dynamic range and resolution. For street work and portraiture Canon is the winner due to high ISO performance, outstanding autofocus, and more natural color rendition.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version