October 21, 2014, 01:19:07 PM

Author Topic: Black friday - Canon rebates?  (Read 2122 times)

seekthedragon

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Black friday - Canon rebates?
« on: November 17, 2012, 08:33:48 AM »
Greetings everyone.

This is going to be my first Thanksgiving and black friday in the USA. I plan to buy a 70-200 mk II for a while, and I would like to know, if there are gong to be some discounts on this item compared to the current 2100 USD price.

I live in New York, if it matters.

Thanks for every advice!

canon rumors FORUM

Black friday - Canon rebates?
« on: November 17, 2012, 08:33:48 AM »

bsbeamer

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Black friday - Canon rebates?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 09:25:40 AM »
with new the new minimum advertised pricing (MAP), I would venture to guess that it's not happening - at least not at substantial discounts more than the current $400 rebate that expires 12/1.  you may see some places that offer a "package" deal where they throw in extras.  B&H tends to do a software discount bundle.  none of them are going to be a huge price drop.

you may want to check for the IMPORT version and save $100 or so.

also keep an eye on some of the Black Friday and deal websites if you want to (BlackFriday.com, bfads.net, and slickdeals.net are some popular ones).

Standard

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 09:52:51 AM »
with new the new minimum advertised pricing (MAP), I would venture to guess that it's not happening - at least not at substantial discounts more than the current $400 rebate that expires 12/1.  you may see some places that offer a "package" deal where they throw in extras.  B&H tends to do a software discount bundle.  none of them are going to be a huge price drop.

Yeah. I agree. I don't think you're gonna see anything lower from authorized dealers than the current price with the rebate. The lowest price that I've seen with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM was $2,074 from B&H a year ago.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 11:25:52 AM »
If you're in the market for a new body, keep an eye on the holiday bundles.  I want to say it's B&H, but one of the big online authorized resellers puts up good high end bundles around this time.

I highly suspect we're going to see a 'best price yet' with one of these bundles and the new bodies/lenss . . . but who really knows.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 12:03:49 PM »
Usually, online discounts happen on black friday.  Usually there are bigger discounts the following Monday (Cyber Monday).
I expect them this year as well, MAP or not.

If you go to a store in person, you can often negotiate a discount on a large purchase.  Its difficult for stores to discount the rebate deals, they have to advance the rebate, and then send in all the proof that they gave out the rebates and charged the Canon specified price.  They sometimes throw in some extras, but the rebate prices seem to hold firm.

One exception is Profeel (PMI) who sells on ebay at a big discount.  They are a authorized dealer but operate on a tight budget.  You can call them and try to negotiate a discount.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 02:12:24 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 12:27:02 PM »
Black Friday is for consumer goods. High end lenses aren't likely to be discounted.

You can register on CanonPriceWatch.com and to be notified if the price drops below a target level you set.

Honestly, right now the lens is pretty much at an historic low. The new price is only $100 over the refurbished price from Canon. Canon refurbished periodically offers a discount, so there is an outside chance you could save a little more if that happens, but this lens tends to sell out immediately on refurbished, so you have to act fast and it may not be available at the time they offer a discount. I'm a big fan of refurbished, but honestly for $100 I'd rather buy new.

There is also a chance that Adorama or B&H may put this lens up on a one-day "can't show price" sale at some point between now and Christmas, but I would be very surprised if it drops much below the current $2,100 price.

Welcome to the U.S. BTW.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

nonac

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Marty Beck Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 01:49:23 PM »
You just have to keep an eye out for deals. I bought it about this time last year from B&H on a deal that lasted only one or two days. I got it for $1,974.
5d Mark III, 24mm f/1.4L II, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100 f/2.8L IS macro, 135 f/2L, 3x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, EF 1.4x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 01:49:23 PM »

curtisnull

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 03:33:45 PM »
$2,100 isn't a bad price for that lens. Since it is a high-end lens, it likely will not be discounted for Black Friday. Your best bet I think is going to be get it before the Dec 1 rebates expire.
1Dx••5D3••300/2.8L IS II••135/2L••100/2.8L IS Macro••24/1.4L II••70-200/2.8L IS II••24-70/2.8L II••17-40/4 L••600EX-RT••lots more Canon stuff.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 03:33:45 PM »