Gear Talk > Software & Accessories

Do It Yourself Black Rapid type Strap

(1/4) > >>

revup67:
You will need:

1)Camera Bag Strap preferably with metal clips or sturdy clips with adjusters of course
2)Key Chain Ring or some type of ring that has a locking mechanism
3)threaded screw that fits into the base of your camera that has a loop on one end such as the type you find on the base of a tripod mount.  I took the screw out of Flash Bracket

All photos attached.  This is very comfortable and secure.

Got the idea from this video DIY: DSLR Shoulder strap w/ quick release and tripod support (read description)

EchoLocation:
i don't trust those screws in the tripod mount to hold my camera. a few twists and turns and your camera could easily fall to the ground. I would be constantly nervous my camera was coming unscrewed and about to crash.
I did a lot of research on these, and finally ended up buying the bos strap. It is a very similar design, except that it simply mounts to one of the neck strap lugs.
I've used it for a few months so far and it is very comfortable and sturdy.
I really wanted to buy a BR, but ultimately, it just didn't seem like the safest way to carry my camera.

bycostello:
looks like it works well... 

neuroanatomist:

--- Quote from: EchoLocation on November 17, 2012, 06:38:35 PM ---i don't trust those screws in the tripod mount to hold my camera. a few twists and turns and your camera could easily fall to the ground. I would be constantly nervous my camera was coming unscrewed and about to crash.
I did a lot of research on these, and finally ended up buying the bos strap. It is a very similar design, except that it simply mounts to one of the neck strap lugs.
I've used it for a few months so far and it is very comfortable and sturdy.
I really wanted to buy a BR, but ultimately, it just didn't seem like the safest way to carry my camera.

--- End quote ---

For me, the big downside to a strap attached to the neck strap lug is the same downside as the neck strap - not a good way to carry a camera with a heavy lens, such as a big white zoom (100-400, 70-200/2.8, 28-300 - and I've got all three!). Being able to easily shift the strap attachment point from the body to the tripod foot is convenient and a lot more comfortable.  No worries about the lug turning loose - it's attached to a Kirk 1" clamp (Arca-Swiss type) with LocTite Blue, and the clamp provides a secure, quick-release connection to L-bracket or lens plate.

TexPhoto:
Great ingenuity, and it looks like a good strap.  I think I might spring for a real Black Rapid tripod mount thingy, or similar as they pivot and will not unscrew, but for do it yourself, that is really nice.

All my cameras/lenses with tripod rings have Arca Swiss plates, so I made my self a strap with an arca Swiss clamp at the end. Well, I started with a cheap eBay version of the black Rapid, so I didn't really make it, but it works for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version