July 31, 2014, 01:59:18 PM

Author Topic: Do It Yourself Black Rapid type Strap  (Read 5338 times)

revup67

• 5D Mark III
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
    • Revup67's Flickr Images
Do It Yourself Black Rapid type Strap
« on: November 17, 2012, 06:02:02 PM »
You will need:

1)Camera Bag Strap preferably with metal clips or sturdy clips with adjusters of course
2)Key Chain Ring or some type of ring that has a locking mechanism
3)threaded screw that fits into the base of your camera that has a loop on one end such as the type you find on the base of a tripod mount.  I took the screw out of Flash Bracket

All photos attached.  This is very comfortable and secure.

Got the idea from this video
DIY: DSLR Shoulder strap w/ quick release and tripod support (read description) Small | Large

Thanks
Rev
Canon EOS 5D MK3 + EOS 7D » Canon50mm 1.4 » Canon 100mm IS USM L Macro » Canon 24-105 L USM IS » Canon 70-300 IS USM L» Canon MP-E65 » Canon 8-15mm Fisheye »Canon 16-35 Mkii USM L » Canon 200mm 2.8 L USM II » Canon 400mm 5.6 L » Canon 580EXII & MT 24EX Flash

canon rumors FORUM

Do It Yourself Black Rapid type Strap
« on: November 17, 2012, 06:02:02 PM »

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Do It Yourself Black Rapid type Strap
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 06:38:35 PM »
i don't trust those screws in the tripod mount to hold my camera. a few twists and turns and your camera could easily fall to the ground. I would be constantly nervous my camera was coming unscrewed and about to crash.
I did a lot of research on these, and finally ended up buying the bos strap. It is a very similar design, except that it simply mounts to one of the neck strap lugs.
I've used it for a few months so far and it is very comfortable and sturdy.
I really wanted to buy a BR, but ultimately, it just didn't seem like the safest way to carry my camera.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 07:14:26 PM »
i don't trust those screws in the tripod mount to hold my camera. a few twists and turns and your camera could easily fall to the ground. I would be constantly nervous my camera was coming unscrewed and about to crash.
I did a lot of research on these, and finally ended up buying the bos strap. It is a very similar design, except that it simply mounts to one of the neck strap lugs.
I really wanted to buy a BR, but ultimately, it just didn't seem like the safest way to carry my camera.

For me, the big downside to a strap attached to the neck strap lug is the same downside as the neck strap - not a good way to carry a camera with a heavy lens, such as a big white zoom (100-400, 70-200/2.8, 28-300 - and I've got all three!). Being able to easily shift the strap attachment point from the body to the tripod foot is convenient and a lot more comfortable.  No worries about the lug turning loose - it's attached to a Kirk 1" clamp (Arca-Swiss type) with LocTite Blue, and the clamp provides a secure, quick-release connection to L-bracket or lens plate.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 09:40:53 PM »
Great ingenuity, and it looks like a good strap.  I think I might spring for a real Black Rapid tripod mount thingy, or similar as they pivot and will not unscrew, but for do it yourself, that is really nice.

All my cameras/lenses with tripod rings have Arca Swiss plates, so I made my self a strap with an arca Swiss clamp at the end. Well, I started with a cheap eBay version of the black Rapid, so I didn't really make it, but it works for me.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 09:50:45 PM »
3)threaded screw that fits into the base of your camera that has a loop on one end such as the type you find on the base of a tripod mount.  I took the screw out of Flash Bracket

I'd be careful with this one.  Make sure whatever lug you use is designed to support a load - many things that look like they might be, aren't.  Good example is the screw and D-ring on the bottom of a Manfrotto RC-2 plate.  A little force applied at the right angle (I used the BlackRapid carabiner for this), and the D-ring opens.  You can see the shallowness of the hole drilled in the side of the lug, and the relatively small overlap of the inserted ends of the D-ring that is all that's keeping your suspended gear from crashing to the ground.

blood_donor

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 03:47:46 AM »
I went thru the same process of making my own strap. In the end I bought the Black Rapid screw for the Manfrotto quick release because it is a very critical failure point and hard to make with the tools I have.

Don

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 03:47:46 AM »

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 09:45:17 PM »
I went thru the same process of making my own strap. In the end I bought the Black Rapid screw for the Manfrotto quick release because it is a very critical failure point and hard to make with the tools I have.

Don
I like this double connection point strategy.
are those BR lugs really locking? There seems to be a few bad reviews on all the sites talking about cameras crashing to the ground that scared me. I usually walk around for hours at a time with a 24-70, so it's often quite heavy.
Neuro, have you checked out the BosStrap? What do you mean when you say "neck strap - not a good way to carry a camera with a heavy lens, such as a big white zoom"
Would you rather have the camera upside down, for easier transition from hanging to shooting? or are you just saying the neck straps are a potential point of failure?
I really like how the BosStrap uses only one side of the neck strap attachment points, and when it hangs it is really comfortable with an easy transition to shooting.
I'd be interested to learn more about BR straps, but at the moment. However, I really like the choice I made, it's a lot cheaper, and ultimately, I think the neck strap connection point is safer than the tripod mount.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 10:19:05 PM »
The BR lugs don't 'lock' but there's a rubber compression washer that produces reverse tension to prevent unscrewing. Irrelevant in my case, with Loctite into the 1" QR clamp.

I meant that a heavy lens is a lot of weight on your neck, better to put it on your shoulder, ergonomically. Not worried about either attachment point, both are plenty strong. Also, I'd rather have the camera hanging by the hip, not in front of my chest.

The BosStrap looks nice, but how would I attach it to a lens foot? Regardless of strength, with a lens heavy enough that Canon provides a tripod collar, I'd rather suspend the combo by that collar, at the center of mass, vs. by the camera.

As for concerns over security, I hang ~12 lbs of gear, costing ~$20K, from a BR strap (1D X + 600/4L IS II).  I trust it.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 11:02:34 PM »

There's not just the unscrewing potential...I had the thread in the grip of a 5DC pop loose and then out altogether after firm tightening. In hindsight that was clearly over-tightening, but worth considering. The thread in a lens collar would be a safer bet.

-PW

AdamJ

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 08:12:53 AM »
If a homemade strap fails, you have no comeback. If a Black Rapid strap fails, you can make a product liability claim for your damaged gear against Black Rapid. Where this type of product is concerned, my view is that transferring the risk of product failure to a commercial manufacturer justifies the purchase price.

lucuias

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Ronnie Chan's Photography
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 08:22:19 AM »
I suggest do not do that with heavy setup

crasher8

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 08:29:47 AM »
This definitely falls into the "You spend $XXXXX on a camera and lens yet cheap out on __________"

Gravity meet DSLR.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 08:29:47 AM »

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 08:50:22 AM »
It's not like the R7's are expensive?
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.