Gear Talk > Lenses

600mm Lens serial number

(1/2) > >>

johnf3f:
I am looking at a Canon 600 mm lens on a certain auction site. I have sent a message to the vendor and his/her reply makes me think it is a bit dodgy. They quote the serial number as 20224. Is there anywhere I can check this is, at least, possibly valid?
I am not trying to buy the lens as I already have one, but I am trying to stop someone getting ripped off!

Mt Spokane Photography:
There is no table of serial numbers.  I recommend not interefering with a auction, if you cost a legitimate seller money or a sale, and he can track you down, he'd likely file a criminal complaint, since it is unlawful to interfere with a auction.

johnf3f:
Thanks for the reply and advice, I hoped there might be a database like the one for date codes.. I the payment method requested is outside the auction site's approved methods, namely by bank transfer (non reversible in UK) the payment method preferred by fraudsters. I have reported my concerns to the auction site - now it's up to them.

neuroanatomist:

--- Quote from: johnf3f on November 18, 2012, 07:08:49 PM ---I have reported my concerns to the auction site - now it's up to them.

--- End quote ---

I'd say that was the best action to take.

johnf3f:

--- Quote from: neuroanatomist on November 18, 2012, 07:58:36 PM ---
--- Quote from: johnf3f on November 18, 2012, 07:08:49 PM ---I have reported my concerns to the auction site - now it's up to them.

--- End quote ---

I'd say that was the best action to take.

--- End quote ---

I spent 10 years doing anti-fraud work for a major international bank so I have a bit of a nose for these things. I just hate seeing people getting ripped off - still I could be wrong, but it smells iffy to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version